Opeth sucks

Demiurge, that's the exact moron I was talking about. It's funny when someone says they don't like opeth. The opeth fanboys(you can tell these apart from the regular listeners)) are quick to point the elitist finger at you, because for some godawful reason, you don't like their Opeth then you must be an elitist!

SculptedCold said:
It doesn't matter whether or not you even like the music, Opeth just have far more textures and sounds occuring in one song than the entire Vital Remains back catalogue, and that directly encourages certain differing moods. Nothing Vital Remains have ever written is intended to provoke longing, sadness, depression, melancholy, love etc etc, unlike Opeth, who's music intends all the above plus the rage, anger and misanthropy that Vital Remains covers.
hahahahah....it's so true what they say about Opeth fans.........

The same can quite easily be said of one who worships the legions of faceless and redundant deathgrind bands who do nothing but chug with guitars so detuned the strings droop, or blast so much that all you can hear is the drums, and generally do nothing new whatsoever.

However, because i'm pretty much a fan of everything metal has to offer, I don't bother going around calling something gay or shitty just because I don't happen to enjoy or like it.

I like Opeth... some of you don't.
I don't see what's to argue. Music is subjective, musicianship and talent is subjective, whether music is boring is subjective...

Just drop it. Shut the fuck up and go on with your lives. If you like Opeth, listen to them. If you don't, listen to Vital Remains or something...

SculptedCold said:
The same can quite easily be said of one who worships the legions of faceless and redundant deathgrind bands who do nothing but chug with guitars so detuned the strings droop, or blast so much that all you can hear is the drums, and generally do nothing new whatsoever.

However, because i'm pretty much a fan of everything metal has to offer, I don't bother going around calling something gay or shitty just because I don't happen to enjoy or like it.
That's nice. Personally I hate all that junjun cricket-chirping broodle deathslam bro-core shit, so I'm glad I'm not one of those people you're talking about. Those people are almost as gay as Opeth fans (it's a different kind of gay though).

It's lovely that you're such an open-minded metal-hippy, but I'm NOT a fan of everything metal has to offer. I don't call Opeth gay just because I don't like them, I call them gay because that's the most fitting description for their weak, softcock brand of homoerotic art-fag fairy metal. They're pop metal. They're what Celine Dion would be if she was a metal band.

IAmEternal said:
I like Opeth... some of you don't.
I don't see what's to argue. Music is subjective, musicianship and talent is subjective, whether music is boring is subjective...

Just drop it. Shut the fuck up and go on with your lives. If you like Opeth, listen to them. If you don't, listen to Vital Remains or something...

Give the man A cookie! :headbang:

although i think anyone would admit that talent isn't all that subjective, even if you don't like Opeth, surely you can admit that they know how to play their instruments pretty fuckin well? if not, i suggest you listen to limp bizkit and then listen to Opeth, surely THEN can you say that they have talent (as opposed to LB who have less talent than my nostril (which is pretty damn talented :loco: )

Ok, this topic should be let go, but im bored and just re-read the post saying they probably got popular because "their soft acustic appeals to everyone". I kinda doubt that. I'd say that Opeth have got popular simply because the mainstream metal media (mags like Kerrang, Metal Hammer etc) suddenly started to really heavily cover the band when BWP came out. Because Opeth have always been a band with elements that a lot of people can real to and like, once they got some exposure they were obviously gonna make it pretty big. This was when I got into the band anyway. I dont think the proggy acoustic rock of Deliverance is very comercially appealing to mainstream metal types who are the ones Opeth is marketed at by the press. If anything, Damnation probably more just made a lot of people go "why is this band making this dull crap so popular". I also seem to remember stories of Opeth having played very few live gigs at all before BWP whereas theyve come to the UK more than any other european band I can think of in the last few years.

Tonnes of bands get big suddenly like this due, it would appear, completely to the press. Take HIM (OK not exactly metal but,) who have suddenly got fairly big in the UK despite being completely ignored before. And currently there is a lot of press about the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal (= metalcorish stuff like Chimera & God Forbid),. New wave?! There was an interview with Anders From In Flames in UK Metal Hammer asking about what he though of the NWOAHM and he said something like "isnt that just some stupid label your magazine made up, those bands have been going for ages" which I though was pretty funny as its so damn true!

Chopstick up the Peehole said:
It's lovely that you're such an open-minded metal-hippy, but I'm NOT a fan of everything metal has to offer. I don't call Opeth gay just because I don't like them, I call them gay because that's the most fitting description for their weak, softcock brand of homoerotic art-fag fairy metal. They're pop metal. They're what Celine Dion would be if she was a metal band.

hahahaha, i like opeth, but this is seriously the funniest post ive ever read on this board. you need to make fun of more things so i have something to read at work.