Opeth sucks

I suspect the reason why the common metal-enthusiast would be inctinctively quick to condemn Opeth is due to all of the praise and publicity they've been amassing, despite how deserving of it they may be. It seems to be the nature of the underground-metal fan, to distance themselves from anything that is remotely popular, slapping shallow and arbitrary labels on the band such as "overrated" and "sellout" in a failed attempt to denounce them.

All contrasts aside, I have never found a single Opeth album to be even faintly tedious or dull. I am quite enamoured with every record they've written and released.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
I suspect the reason why the common metal-enthusiast would be inctinctively quick to condemn Opeth is due to all of the praise and publicity they've been amassing, despite how deserving of it they may be. It seems to be the nature of the underground-metal fan, to distance themselves from anything that is remotely popular, slapping shallow and arbitrary labels on the band such as "overrated" and "sellout" in a failed attempt to denounce them.

All contrasts aside, I have never found a single Opeth album to be even faintly tedious or dull. I am quite enamoured with every record they've written and released.
I concur.

Yeah I was involved in that whole argument on there. I don't know, the people on that board are pretty annoying, painfully homophobic and for the most part can't defend their argunments. I mean there were only two people who gave legit reasons why they don't like the band. Anyways that is a great site to find out about obscure metal bands from...

DiscipleOfPlato said:

I concur also. I can understand and see to an extent the point so-called elitists usually press against Opeth; the mish-mash of ideas and the oft amateurish arranging/composition, but to them I simply say; a lot of things are worth a hell of a lot more than just the sum of their parts. Opeth is definately one of those things.

Timmeth said:
I must be the only one who thinks that "Blackwater Park" is their best effort. I think that's where they peaked and they've declined slowly..

Nope, you're not alone in thinking that. I agree 100%.

Opeth definately do not suck. They are an excellent band. There guitars are really good and the drumming is also really good. They are original and have pretty complex songs. Damnation also is a great album...the acoustic parts sound really good and the many leads, solos they have on the album are brilliant. They have a great mix of heavy parts and clean parts. They want their songs to be different and not have everything sound the same..They are brilliant songwriters and definately Do NOT suck.

must show restraint.....

arrrgghh, that's it. anyone who says that they definitely do not suck because their drums and guitars are good and they're excellent songwriters is a moron. can you be more vague?

for what it's worth, opeth uses very conventional song structures, but disguises them with wanton acoustic passages

crimsonfloyd said:
Yeah I was involved in that whole argument on there. I don't know, the people on that board are pretty annoying, painfully homophobic and for the most part can't defend their argunments. I mean there were only two people who gave legit reasons why they don't like the band. Anyways that is a great site to find out about obscure metal bands from...

you telling me i actually have to defend my opinion of a band when i say they are boring? you kidding right, its my opinion, i just dont like there music period, and no i didnt even know they were "popular" before i even made my decision they were a horrible band.

HardSide said:
you telling me i actually have to defend my opinion of a band when i say they are boring? you kidding right, its my opinion, i just dont like there music period, and no i didnt even know they were "popular" before i even made my decision they were a horrible band.
If its strictly your unspoken opinion, then obviously nothing more needs to be said. However when you hit the point where you're actively telling people you hate the band, they're quite naturally going to be inquisitive as to how you came about that opinion.

I guess in simple terms it's: If you're gonna talk shit, back it up with something.

DemiUrge said:
for what it's worth, opeth uses very conventional song structures, but disguises them with wanton acoustic passages
I'd like to know which of the 7 albums you're reffering to there. Over time the way they structure their music has changed quite substantially. The first two albums can be criticised for a LACK of structure moreso than it being convential. The two albums that followed developed a more cohesive structure, yet quite far from conventional. MAYH had minimal riff-recurrences, if any at all... so the album was always pushing forward, fitting the concept. Still Life is when Opeth started making dependencies on repeating riffs, which made it their most conventionally structured album till that time. Yet, by no means was the thing conventional. Blackwater Park followed suit, mainly recurring the core 'thematic' riff of each song further down near the end of the song. Good examples of this are 'The Leper Affinity' and 'The Drapery Falls'.

Deliverance however, and most notably Damnation do have conventional structures. Deliverance, still disguised as an Opeth album, may give the illusion that the structure follows the old, but it quite frequently repeats riffs until you're in tears, not to mention bringing them back and looping them to death.

Damnation wasn't trying to be anything unconventional, so it has to be given slack. I don't like either of the two new albums all that much, but at least Damnation wasn't trying to be more than what it was promoted as by the band.

So having looked over their entire discography, I can only really find two albums that are at the most, quasi-conventional, and one was even trying to be.

Overall, their an ok band. Not that good, and certainly not great.

"I suspect the reason why the common metal-enthusiast would be inctinctively quick to condemn Opeth is due to all of the praise and publicity they've been amassing, despite how deserving of it they may be."

I think Opeth is a special case all its own. Darkthrone is a very popular band, and they had been highly praised for a very long time, and still older fans regarded them with high praise, even though they gained a lot of new fans and popularity along the way. The same can be said about Burzum.

I don't personally listen to an Opeth album for profundity or something insightful. I do enjoy some of their acoustic work though.

Demiurge said:
must show restraint.....

arrrgghh, that's it. anyone who says that they definitely do not suck because their drums and guitars are good and they're excellent songwriters is a moron. can you be more vague?

SculptedCold said:
a lot of things are worth a hell of a lot more than just the sum of their parts.