Opeth sucks

I love them very much, excellent smoking music.

I love Damnation too. I don't see why it gets so much shit, it's a wonderful album, fucking well done, regardless of how heavy it is.

ShroudOfDusk said:
People who say nothing more than 'Opeth sucks' and give no reasoning or explanation are just as idiotic as the fanboys who say 'Opeth rules!'.
i find it more idiotic that ppl argue over the internet (for or against a particular band) thinking that they will be able to change the other persons opinion.

as for the 'fanboy' crap ppl go on with, the ironic thing about this is the fact that most of the ppl who call ppl 'fanboys' are just elitist fgts anyway, also having nothing constructive to add to the conversation.

why i like opeth? (ofcourse to avoid being a fanboy, i must add this)
- awesome guitar melody
- engrossing atmosphere
- at times, meaningful lyrics. although some i feel are a bit cheesy
- a unique style of music with good use of climax and breakdown within songs
- play well live - mikaels vocals dominate

misfit said:
i find it more idiotic that ppl argue over the internet (for or against a particular band) thinking that they will be able to change the other persons opinion.

as for the 'fanboy' crap ppl go on with, the ironic thing about this is the fact that most of the ppl who call ppl 'fanboys' are just elitist fgts anyway, also having nothing constructive to add to the conversation.

why i like opeth? (ofcourse to avoid being a fanboy, i must add this)
- awesome guitar melody
- engrossing atmosphere
- at times, meaningful lyrics. although some i feel are a bit cheesy
- a unique style of music with good use of climax and breakdown within songs
- play well live - mikaels vocals dominate
That was good, thanks a lot :)

I've loved all of their albums, start to finish (although i'm yet to get Morningrise)

I also think they have definitely improved over time, Orchid was a bit sloppy and certainly not as engrossing as their newer stuff but it was still a decent album. I think that they peaked at Blackwater park and while Deliverance isn't as good as BWP, it's still an amazing record with some tight playing, beautiful lyrics and acoustic passages. Damnation was also an amaizing album, it's a great album just to mellow out to.

I'm not saying everyone should love them, i'm just saying that it's annoying how people say they are crap and have no talent, they are some of the most talented musicians in metal ATM IMO.

Everyone has their own tastes. Most of the elitist metal assholes will bash Opeth because they don't sing about raping Christ and butchery, or because they dont grind and wank their guitars for ridiculous-sounding solos, or because the drumming isnt constant blastbeats, or because the singer doesnt growl and scream enough. I find it hysterical that all of these guys who have bashed Opeth are fans of Vital Remains, Deicide, and a bunch of "tr00" and elite bands! :loco: Grow up and stop thinking your opinions are better than the rest of the world's.

TaylorC said:
Everyone has their own tastes. Most of the elitist metal assholes will bash Opeth because they don't sing about raping Christ and butchery, or because they dont grind and wank their guitars for ridiculous-sounding solos, or because the drumming isnt constant blastbeats, or because the singer doesnt growl and scream enough. I find it hysterical that all of these guys who have bashed Opeth are fans of Vital Remains, Deicide, and a bunch of "tr00" and elite bands! :loco: Grow up and stop thinking your opinions are better than the rest of the world's.

I'm sure they will when you do too :rolleyes:

TaylorC said:

Yeah, and I listen to Watchtower, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. So you're very wrong about that. Also, I really don't hear constant blast beats in Vital Remains music. Plus they have more mood in depth in 5-10 mins song, than Opeth does in 10-20 min song.

Good job at making yourself look like a fucking retard.

SlaughterofSoul said:
Plus they have more mood in depth in 5-10 mins song, than Opeth does in 10-20 min song.

Good job at making yourself look like a fucking retard.
what a load of bull! if the only mood you recognize is aggression, then yeah, Vital Remains have more depth.....man.....that is just a nonsensical statement. It doesn't matter whether or not you even like the music, Opeth just have far more textures and sounds occuring in one song than the entire Vital Remains back catalogue, and that directly encourages certain differing moods. Nothing Vital Remains have ever written is intended to provoke longing, sadness, depression, melancholy, love etc etc, unlike Opeth, who's music intends all the above plus the rage, anger and misanthropy that Vital Remains covers.

Talking of retards then, it looks like your emotional growth has somehow been irrevocably stunted SoS.

SculptedCold said:
what a load of bull! if the only mood you recognize is aggression, then yeah, Vital Remains have more depth.....man.....that is just a nonsensical statement. It doesn't matter whether or not you even like the music, Opeth just have far more textures and sounds occuring in one song than the entire Vital Remains back catalogue, and that directly encourages certain differing moods. Nothing Vital Remains have ever written is intended to provoke longing, sadness, depression, melancholy, love etc etc, unlike Opeth, who's music intends all the above plus the rage, anger and misanthropy that Vital Remains covers.

Talking of retards then, it looks like your emotional growth has somehow been irrevocably stunted SoS.
:tickled: Hey SoS- Want some ice for that burn?

SculptedCold said:

Yes, but I'm saying they do it in less time, and not in a boring fashion like Opeth. Plus, I was saying he was a retard for his statement "you only listen to grinding whatever whatever," as my reason for not liking Opeth.

ummmmm vital remains is fuckin awesome, and so is opeth. I think that you can't compare them because they are two completly different types of bands... i think opeth is one of the best progressive metal bands, and vital remains is just amazing...

the old VR stuff was pretty good, their acquired tendency to stretch a 2 minute song into a 5 minute one is far too much for me to tolerate. "Dechristianize" was teh geigh.

TaylorC said:

you're just a pathetic little shit who can't cope when people have the audacity to not worship your holy grail, aren't you?