Opeth - Sydney

how often do they wash their shirts? same ones from Adelaide, unless Mikael has a drawer full of the same Scorpions t-shirt

He used the Conan-shirt in Lillehammer 16th august.

My friend shoutet "CONAN!" at him backstage and he answered "He is the king.... with a sword" ;)
(In swedish)

lies. was good hanging though mate. did you have a good all nighter?
haha yeah, I got to sleep at 9am. We got the last train to central then went to some pub, had drink there for a while then walked for a bit and taxied to the airport at around 4am. Checked in then maccas breakfast/red bull. The flight was fine, the only thing that sucked was having to drive on no sleep from Avalon airport to my house, which was a little over a hour haha. The flight was basically made up of Opeth fans going back home/North Melbourne supporters pissed off at their loss Sydney which provided with some colorful conversations :lol:. Oh and in Melbourne I was standing about 2 people from the gate in between Fredrik and Mike. In Sydney I was on the gate a few feet to the left of Fred.

I found the gig to be a lot rougher than 06 as well. I was up the front and can hardly remember anything. When Bleak stopped 3/4 through I had to ask my cousin if the song actually finished. Next time I think I'll do Melbourne too, and go up front for one and hang back for the other.

Did you guys go nuts or drop back and enjoy the music?

IIRC, Mike started by stating that the following number is a song that they as a band don't particularly enjoy playing and that him and Mendez are the only ones who were in the band at the time. Then he implied that they were playing it simply because the fans love it.

I was a bit out of it, and may have misinterpreted it (or neglected obvious sarcasm), so others' views are welcome, please.

Where were you guys all standing? I was huddling by stage left near the security guard, so whilst I got a fairly good close up view without getting squashed, the sound wasn't as balanced. I think we got the bass side because the drums and Mendez were piss-awful loud, sort of drowned out the solos.

Another thing that annoyed me - did anyone else hear the echoes bouncing off the metal bannisters from the upstairs level at the back? It was annoying, but I think I ignored it pretty well. Big Top is just a fucking room, no acoustics or anything.

Other than some stupid girl who passed out stoned right in front of us during the encore, and the fact that I didn't get any shirts my size (!), it was a good night. First time I've seen Opeth live. :) Really enjoy Mikael's willingness to interact with the crowd. Funny man. Not to mention, I'm stoked that they played The Drapery Falls and Bleak.

I would have liked to hear When as well, but we'll see... A friend told me last time they played in Aus, they let the crowd request the final song, and everyone picked Deliverance. Next time we should shout for When. :)

haha yeah, I got to sleep at 9am. We got the last train to central then went to some pub, had drink there for a while then walked for a bit and taxied to the airport at around 4am. Checked in then maccas breakfast/red bull. The flight was fine, the only thing that sucked was having to drive on no sleep from Avalon airport to my house, which was a little over a hour haha. The flight was basically made up of Opeth fans going back home/North Melbourne supporters pissed off at their loss Sydney which provided with some colorful conversations :lol:. Oh and in Melbourne I was standing about 2 people from the gate in between Fredrik and Mike. In Sydney I was on the gate a few feet to the left of Fred.
Awesome! Should have given them a hard poke and said hi. :p

This was a great show, not to mention the line for merch was fucking rediculous.

Fuck, I wouldn't be surprised if the small and medium shirts ran out whilst I was still in the line. A tall sweaty smelly giant in front of me also slammed me in the chin with his elbow. Quite sick.

I found out during the gig that I'm jedi. Someone hit me in the face and my glasses went flying. I shot my hand in an instinctive direction and caught them somehow. I was so damn relieved.

Was happy to get the shirts we wanted too..
n1069327059_141980_8720.jpg

You could line an airstrip at night with those shirts, look how reflective they are. :p

Btw,
[ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WXlccs1giFw[/ame]

watershed shirt looks great, i might purchase one. im also partial to the still life design but i think watershed wins this bout. my mate went to the gig, and was like ohh mike cmon man you gotta go cmon, but i hate concerts. it sounded like a good setlist though

I found the gig to be a lot rougher than 06 as well. I was up the front and can hardly remember anything. When Bleak stopped 3/4 through I had to ask my cousin if the song actually finished. Next time I think I'll do Melbourne too, and go up front for one and hang back for the other.

Did you guys go nuts or drop back and enjoy the music?

I have that same idea actually :p Good idea too, double the Opeth

I went nuts at the barrier. was great.

Yeah, I saw some chick pass out as well. The line for merch was too long. I mean 3 people selling shit to I don't know how many people, kinda stupid.

top stuff!! were you able to meet/chat with the band at all?
We walked around the outside, but there was like 3 possible exits they could be coming out of. I spoke to a roadie who said they had to go straight away and couldn't stop so we bailed after that. Was a bit disappointing as after all these years I'd like to meet them and now I'm much more over fanboyism I think I could meet them without looking like a dick. Guess I'll try next time around. Oh and Mike was just pleasing the crowd, he basically said a similar thing to us about Sydney. He obviously knows people from both cities are going to think their own is better so he thought he'd fuck with us. I've read a few times his favorite place to play is Oz and specifically Melbourne and Sydney.

damn, lucky you. i lost mine because i'd hung it over the middle part of the bra and when it fell off i didnt even bother trying to find them, i knew they were gone. i did find a single lens intact after the crowd had dispersed... so i was the blind person with no shirt on.
totally worth it. ESP. Master's apprentice

I found out during the gig that I'm jedi. Someone hit me in the face and my glasses went flying. I shot my hand in an instinctive direction and caught them somehow. I was so damn relieved.

Was happy to get the shirts we wanted too..
n1069327059_141980_8720.jpg