Opeth - Sydney

Azules31

Jul 12, 2008
Just got back.

Was amazing. TLE was a great live song, it lends it's self to the mosh! Totally rad, Deliverance was just awesome, again the mosh went nuts!

There were some technical problems during Bleak I think it was (sorry, I was so excited I can't remember) and during the time it was getting all fixed up, we got an awesome drum solo, bass solo, guitar solo and keyboard solo! A good fuck up indeed.

Struggled with pics, but here are a few.

P9060003.jpg

P9060005.jpg

P9060008.jpg

P9060012.jpg

P9060013.jpg

P9060006.jpg

Pretty bad quality, but at least it's something.

PS: Don't go into mosh pits with a tank top on, you make it miserable for all. :p Haha.

Ahh great gig. The Bleak fiasco was epic as!

I was bit disappointed to hear that the band doesn't enjoy playing SPD though :erk:

To more Orchid and Morningrise numbers :kickass:

Yeah it was an awesome gig, second best out of the 4 Sydney shows that I have been to aswell. When Mikes guitar bombed out during Bleak he said: "atleast you know we are playing everything you hear" hehehe.
Highlights for me were The Night and the silent water, Deliverance, To rid the disease and Drapery!

Thanks guys, see you next time!

Nice photos up the top ;)

Setlist from memory (feel free to correct me on the order)
Heir Apparent
Master's Apprentices
The Baying Of The Hounds
Serenity Painted Death
To Rid The Disease
The Lotus Eater
Bleak (included 5 minute break due to Mikael's guitar dropping out)
The Night And The Silent Water
Deliverance
Demon Of The Fall
-----------------
The Drapery Falls

Great show, this being the 4th time I've seen them. Had hopes for When, but alas it remains one song they've never played in Sydney.

Anyone recall what subject Mikael said Mendez' talk should be on? "And now it is time for Mendez, to do a one hour, spoken word..." - what next? I didn't quite catch the last bit...?

Looking at ur pics, The boys are wearing the same t-shirts that they wore to the Melbourne show. Lol!!!

aaah epic.

anyone know what the supporting band was called?

ah and if anyone knows what i'm talking about... what's up with those homos that act like people are really in their personal space and get really cut about the fact?? there was this curly haired man in front of me who kept pushing me off, like it was me personally that was pushing into him. wtf. i had one of these at the big day out also. what losers.

The show was awesome, Opeth was great but i wasn't in a fit state to mosh. :(
I did not like the first band at all.

how often do they wash their shirts? same ones from Adelaide, unless Mikael has a drawer full of the same Scorpions t-shirt

Too many tickets in my opinion. This is my third opeth gig. Both times before were in Melbourne. I would have liked a bit of free space where i could see the band and just soak it in without ppl continuously brushing past. All of their new stuff was great. Things have changed a bit too much now for them to play their old stuff though. It was great to hear but has lost its naturalness a bit with the change to the rhythm section. Keep going forward i say. Great gig though. I'll be there next time.

Melbourne was a pretty good. Great set, not as good as 06 though. The crowd was a hell of a lot rougher than last time around. To the point it was annoying during the heavier songs. Plenty of drunk morons wanting to knock people over made it seem way to METUL. Some dick shouted during to rid the disease play something heavy so we can go nuts. But it was a very good gig as always. I am however very glad that I made the trip up to Sydney so I could see them again. It was the same set, but I enjoyed it a little more tbh.

The sound in Melbourne was slightly better but the crowd in Sydney were a lot less annoying. So I was able to enjoy myself moreso, especially Heir and Lotus the only songs I hadn't seen on previous tours were a lot more enjoyable as I didn't have to worry about the girls with us getting crushed. Plus I got to meet up with Pethical which was pretty cool, top dude. Virgin Black were better in Sydney iyam, but they did get a very short set. Even shorter in Sydney. Overall I am pretty damn happy to seem them again and was very pleased with the set and they new songs were the highlight which was what I was hoping for. The fuck up during Bleak was handled quite well given the circumstances. Plus hearing Mike in Sydney say they are hoping to be back next year made for quite the arousing prospect. So yah thats my report. Oh and spd and natsw were great to hear again, plus Deliverance was fantastic as always.