opeth, will they ever be challenged?

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
is their any bands that do what opeth do in their sound?
if so who, thier so unique ive never heard anyone sound like them.
where does mike get his inpiration from, 8 albums of unequalled quality:headbang:

Weakness said:
He's a rare breed... Too weird to live, too weird to die...

Some kind of high powered mutant not manufactured for this world..

A true pioneer, a living legend...

Am I sensing just an itsy-bitsy teenie-weenie little bit of sarcasm here?

the opeth affinity said:
is their any bands that do what opeth do in their sound?
if so who, thier so unique ive never heard anyone sound like them.
where does mike get his inpiration from, 8 albums of unequalled quality:headbang:

Imo, there's no band like Opeth. Not even "Katatonia", "Pain of Salvation" or "In the woods"...
But Mike very often talk about very he get his inspiration from. "Morbid Angel", "Camel",
"Genesis" (implicitly) and "King Crimson" to mention a few. He also gets inspiration from
a Canadian metal band that was one of the first metal bands to experiement with disharmonics
and stuff.

Btw, does anyone know the name? I can't make out the name in the interview with Mike,
but he mentions it there.

Anyhow, none of the bands above come that close in quality and dynamics as Opeth, I think.

No bands are like Opeth - with their blend of Death, Progressive, Ballads, Rock, [fill in the blanks].

The only band that comes even close is YES.

(No, not "hardrock Yes", I'm thinking of their progressive albums - both seventies AND nineties Yes)

But, as they are older guys they're not challenging Opeth - it's the other way round!!

Opeth VS The rest of the world!
:)

FRUGiHOYi said:
Voivoid is weird. They do pretty much everything I would like to hear, yet I don't care for them too much.

Same here. Can't quite place what is missing though...

Benighted Joe said:
Imo, there's no band like Opeth. Not even "Katatonia", "Pain of Salvation" or "In the woods"...

Anyhow, none of the bands above come that close in quality and dynamics as Opeth, I think.

This may be true, but all of them surpass opeth with respect to songwriting.

RiffBoy said:
No bands are like Opeth - with their blend of Death, Progressive, Ballads, Rock, [fill in the blanks].

The only band that comes even close is YES.

(No, not "hardrock Yes", I'm thinking of their progressive albums - both seventies AND nineties Yes)

But, as they are older guys they're not challenging Opeth - it's the other way round!!

Opeth VS The rest of the world!
:)

enslaved's mid to later era material comes close in similarity. but where opeth has more death metal leanings on that side...enslaved usually has the black metal leanings and style. but both blend the classic and progressive rock aspects into the mix pretty well and equally.

There are no bands like Opeth IMHO. In the 35+ years I've been listening to music (I really got into music listening around 10 years old), I've seen many legendary bands come and go: Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith (they won't go away), Black Sabbath, Metallica...the list goes on.

Opeth strikes me with such a uniqueness and a rare blend of abilities not seen in metal or any genre for that matter. I feel they've been consistent with their progression through their 8 albums. I know of no other bands that can make lengthy songs never long enough. They're mesmerizing.

I can't say they will never be challenged. But at this point in time with so much musical rubbish being thrown at the public, I see nothing remotely close to what Opeth brings to the table, nor has there been a band in the past that truly measures up to them.

Fanboy? Yes. Opeth my favorite? Absolutely. Musical greatness? Just listen to them. Any equal? Not from my perspective.

the opeth affinity said:
voivoid

canadian metal band

Thanx.

Hey another important thing with Opeth is that they make wonderful
progressive music without the crap like to many special effect sounds and
unnecessary embelishments. (Almost) all of their songs are playable at a
concert with minimal crew :) When they make disharmonic stuff it always
rock, and kinda fits anyway... Just listen to the intro of Bleak or any other
riff on that album, for example. Moreover, Mike sings all vocals himself
(growl and clean) its very impressive and kinda unique!

NineFeetUnderground said:
enslaved's mid to later era material comes close in similarity. but where opeth has more death metal leanings on that side...enslaved usually has the black metal leanings and style. but both blend the classic and progressive rock aspects into the mix pretty well and equally.

I stopped listening to Enslaved after Blodhemn, it's pretty straightforward black metal, any recommendations from the later stuff? I prefer melodic/progressive material.