Opeth's Dunlop picks

SolarMagus

New Metal Member
Aug 13, 2008
Hey there, bizzare question, but does anyone know the specific plectrums that Akerfeldt/Akesson use? I presume they're not Jazz 3's or anything
Cheers :p

Jazz 3's take getting used to... it took maybe a week for me to be perfectly comfortable. But it is worth it, because of their unique design, once you get used to it, you will find that your picking is much more fluid.
Now when i try to play with a tortex or something else, they feel so ridiculously huge in my hand and I can hardly trem pick lol

Oh don't get me wrong, i've used from a year and a half/2 years now pretty much exclusively whilst getting into faster lead guitar. But i've always had niggling problems with them, such as a sort of 'puck' sound when it strikes the string (and my picking motion is fine so I think it's possibly more due to the release of the string) but now i'm getting into a more rounded musical direction where I want to play rhythm rather than having to fight the jazz 3, but I am now stuck with using smaller picks, just so much more control than the bigger picks which feel like paddles

Just out of interest, if you do have a particular way of holding them, do you have the Jim Dunlop text facing up or down?

I'm thinkng of going back to stubbies or tortex tear drops perhaps, we'll have to see, but it'd be nice to see what Akerfeldt uses

They might be the Tortex .88mm (Although it's neither here nor there i'm sure James Hetfield uses them).... Yeah if they are green in the mic stand pic holder (seem to recall they are) then Tortex .88mm.
Hope this helps.... btw Those are the perfect plectrums btw...not too hard and not too bendy :)

I'm not sure what Akerfeldt uses but I know that I always use Jazz 3's... once you get used to them they're brilliant, very fast and they make pinch harmonics easy. I agree they aren't great for rhythm though.