Opeth's Lyrics - Weak Spot?

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
I used to think if Opeth had one weakness it could be found in their lyrics, but not anymore. I think what led me to believe that was the fact that Mikey's growls does make it hard to understand what he is saying...that, plus the fact, that I usually listen to Opeth while only at work or when driving in my car...I haven't had much of a chance to read and learn the lyrics.

The other night, I sat down and read the lyrics and listened to MAYH....The lyrics are outstanding.

No weak spot there.

If i could find a weak spot on the lyrics it would be the usage of the same words a lot.
The feeling those words give is cool, but it gets kinda predictable me thinks after a while.
Hmmm i don't know if i'm right or anything, it's just the way it seems to me right now.

The lyrics are a weekness IMO. Tehy dont make sence for the most part. I stated this same staement a month ago on here and got some mouthing out of some. I was told that i need to read more closer. Well, i did, and still,,,,nothing. SO i was reading an old issue of BW and BK, a march 2001 issue, its got an interview with ol mike, and he says that fo rthe most part, the lyrics makes big fat zero sence to him too, hahahaha. I can understand near everything he says wne he is growling, so that sno problem at all. But hey, there is nothing wrong with strain of thought writting. I am enjoying the cd's more now that i know MIke cant make heads or tails out of it either, now i can make my own vision in my mind as to what the songs are ranting about

The lyrics are NOT a weak spot; they do make sense. But sometimes Mikael uses metaphor and allegory not to enrich the meaning, but rather to cloud it, which is not the best way.

D Mullholand

Originally posted by D Mullholand
The lyrics are NOT a weak spot; they do make sense. But sometimes Mikael uses metaphor and allegory not to enrich the meaning, but rather to cloud it, which is not the best way.

D Mullholand

UHHHHH, did you not read my post? MIK DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE LYRICS MEAN ON MOST OF THE SONGS. HE SAYS HE JUST WRITES IT AND IT DOES NOT ALLWAYS MAKE SENCE, therefore.........the lyrics at times, are nothing more than ranting. The songs are still good.

Opeth's lyrics are poetic prose (heh, redundancy?) that convey mood using certain words, writing styles, and poetic devices, especially personification: "the rain was waving goodbye", for example. They aren't meant to be read like a novel with a specific, precise and obvious meaning, but open to interpretation. As far as Mikael's knowledge of the concepts within his lyrics go, he has stated that both MAYH and Still Life are concepts that were written prior to the music. On this basis alone, I find it hard to believe they have no intended meaning.

Is this meaning blatant from line to line? No, the lyrics of MAYH DON'T go "so then I died, and I followed my former lover around, realized she was moving on, figured out that I was a ghost, got pissed, haunted her, then felt sorry for myself, and all over the course of about one year", but the concepts of the story can be inferred upon examination.

The lyrics Mikael was probably talking about in the interview were the ones for Blackwater Park, which seemed more vague and were about more general feelings. They still convey meaning, though, even if the precise subject matter of each line isn't apparent.

After Pain of Salvation, everyone's lyrics seem like a weak point. Opeth ruined music for me, and then they ruined lyrics. It's a shame.

-Hondo

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
"so then I died, and I followed my former lover around, realized she was moving on, figured out that I was a ghost, got pissed, haunted her, then felt sorry for myself, and all over the course of about one year"
Now thats what my lyrics sound like when i try and write them!! :lol:

I think the weak point is the cliched words that are used.. all the talks of seasons, weather, etc... But then again there is unfortunately a limited number of such things in this world and in our language. And as such almost everything is cliched, so what becomes important is using the words and images appropriately, and this Opeth do well.

The lyrics can't not mean *anything*
Don't you feel anything when you read them, even if you are not listening to the music?

I love the moodiness in all that 'blurry ranting'... :)
And I don't think they are a weak spot at all.

There is definitely a mystique and wonderment involved in Opeth lyrics.
They seem to be extraordinarily unique and atmospheric.

I can't find a weak spot (as in an aspect really lacking in atmosphere etc.)

The lyrics are great. They always create images in my mind and set some sort of tone for a song. I think the only albums where the lyrics weren't really "about" something were Orchid and BWP. I mean on Morningrise they were all about these personal things, and the next two had actual stories. Mikael said that he gets a picture in his mind, and sets down to write to convey it. It seems like he succeeds in that. The non-concept ones always tell little vague stories to me too.

-Hondo

I can't really understand what is being said 95% of the time, but for me that's with most growling vocals ( maybe I don't have the ear for it ;) ). The lyrics themselves are excellent though. The great thing is that you can take your own meanings from them, which I think is definitely a strength. To have lyrics that just smack you in the face and leave no ambiguity as to there message is not always a good thing. In fact it could even be seen as a weakness.

Originally posted by Oyo

Kind of like your typing skills :rolleyes:

Just because he doesn't always know what it means doesn't mean that they can't mean something to the listener :D
haha, the last typeing class I had was in the 8th grade........I am now 29 years old hahahaha.Computers were not POPULAR when i was in school. Hell, I didnt even touch a PC till i was in HIGH SCHOOL, an dthat was for drafting. I also now near nothing about PC'S.......so what?

ANyway. I can follow the concept albums. ANd I really did read that. Just go to BW&BK, look for MARCH 2001 issue. YOu will find it. AND, like i said before you posted, now that i know MIK doesnt know half of what he's writtin about, I enjoy the songs (lyrically) more.

ANd those phrases are very nice, its not the phrases that were stumping me, it was how each phrase was joined with the next.