Opinion vs. Fact

IanDork107

I wrote a book! Buy it!
Sep 9, 2002
Not here.
Many of us are guilty of not differntiating between fact and opinion when posting on this board. I'll be the first to admit that I'm quite guilty of this, so I'm not posting this to criticize anyone else by any means. I think, though, that if posts were more clearly marked as either fact or opinion there would be a good deal less turmoil. As an example, it's a fact that Opeth is a band, but it's an opinion of mine (I would imagine shared by many here) that Opeth is a very good band. Being more clear should eliminate misunderstandings and anger, and everything would be great if everyone was happy, in my opinion.

Every single post I do, I express right away that this is just my opinion... and you know what happens?
I get bombarded by other people saying that I don't know what the f#$$ I am talking about... lol! I don't mind that so much... but their arguments usually consist of just cursing me out...
Certain people on this board I think are just waiting to see a post that they can disagree with. I think it's because they really don't have anything constructive to add otherwise. I personally don't think there's much that can be done, short of weeding out the bad seeds... and removing them from this board.

@iandork: you come across as a whining idiot.

Is that now a fact or an opinion?:rolleyes:

In all fairness, I find it somewhat upsetting when someone expresses his thoughts or feelings and people react with comments like "Stop whining". If you disagree with other people or if their way of putting things into words pisses you off, pull the plug or at least try to be a bit more polite.

Certain people on this board I think are just waiting to see a post that they can disagree with. I think it's because they really don't have anything constructive to add otherwise.

Yes.

i sincerely think this:

the 90% of the people who post here has got a very personal OPINION about opeth: is the fucking greatest band in the metal scene, who plays the best music ever heard.

but i also believe that is a fact that opeth is a good band, if we compare them to the others who populate the scene.

Originally posted by ham
why do you people think the only interesting discussion is one where EVERYONE HAS TO FUCKIN AGREE WITH EACH OTHER.

CONFLICTING OPINIONS AND IDEAS MAKE FOR INTERESTING DISCUSSION KTHX.

I agree that through conflicting opinions and ideas the discussions become more interesting ("Without contraries there is no progression" as Blake says :D :D ), but i think it's important to express the disagreements in a conversational tone without always attacking the person we disagree with. Writing insults and just attacking everyone isn't expressing an opinion, it's idiocy.

As for the fact vs opinion, I believe that the vast majority of discussions here are all about opinions since in our relationship with music there very few "facts".

Originally posted by ham
why do you people think the only interesting discussion is one where EVERYONE HAS TO FUCKIN AGREE WITH EACH OTHER.

CONFLICTING OPINIONS AND IDEAS MAKE FOR INTERESTING DISCUSSION KTHX.

Who the fuck said anything about agreeing??? Respect is nice, though. But you're a fucking asshole, in my opinion, so I don't give a flying shit what you think.

Originally posted by ham
if u can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen

@iandork: you come across as a whining idiot.

I'll second that. I'm still trying to decide if IanDork is a real person or some sort of spam-bot designed to post the maximum number of posts per day.

Originally posted by Infinite Reach
I'll second that. I'm still trying to decide if IanDork is a real person or some sort of spam-bot designed to post the maximum number of posts per day.

Lol...real person with plenty of time on his hands, last time i checked.