Orpheus recording NEW ALBUM: Studio diary inside!

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
So it's that time again where we make another album! You guys know the drill... Headaches, pain in the arse process and all the stuff that goes with it!

So here's Studio Diary #1 in the series! Enjoy
Chris and Orpheus

Last edited by a moderator:
@Crilleman: Cheers dude. I always like to share and be somewhat detailed about gear. People seem to enjoy it and it gives a bit more insight to the personal gear choices of the band etc :D
And yes, I'll be mixing this one

@Jeff: Thanks dude! Glad you're pumped. As I said, I'll be mixing this one. In another situation we'd go with Ermz again but unfortunately schedules didn't match up in time etc :) Next time I hope.
Should be interesting to hear the difference in approach of course. Obviously my vision will be somewhat different to his. But Ermz did some producing on this one towards the later stages :)

Cheers guys. I'll keep this thread updated with subsequent Diaries :D

Great video and as said above, good information! What do you use for monitoring for tracking?

no, i was talking bout the ampsim :) what settings do you use on your interface? I sometimes struggle with latency when using ampsims

I actually keep mine at 1.5ms (64 samples) when tracking and that works for about 5 tracks of amp sim + drum program. I'm using an RME multiface with the internal HDSP card though which gives the ability for lower latency being a dedicated card etc :D

Nice video and great informations !
Just the aspect ratio of the video is fucked up... sorry to be picky about that, but it's a bit disturbing/annoying when watching (at least for me).
Looks like it was shooted in 16:9 then resized to 4:3.

In other words, it display like this :
orpheus_wrong%20ratio.jpg

When it should more display like this :
orpheus_correct%20ratio.jpg

Don't know if you can fix that directly from youtube without re-uplodaing.

Empathy: love that guitar! Haha
Truie: you're absolutely right :p I was so out of it after all the recording that I didn't realize the software I used converted it to 4:3. I'll re export it, and remember for the next diary :D
Thanks

Cool ! It sounds already good raw and before editing, so i can't imagine when reamped, edited, and mixed ! Nice riffing, looking forward to the rest !

A bit OT but you have the flaw and voice of a good commentator :)

Cheers dude! \m/ I hope the finished product blows you away!

Haha :p maybe I'm in the wrong job then! I realized I don't have a typical 'Aussie' accent, but commentator :p that's not something I've heard yet haha!

that's what i'd consider a typical 'aussie' accent. :p and i come from northern vic where towns are 30min apart haha. you just dont have a typical 'BOGAN' accent ;)

Declan! Yeah I agree :p I'm of the non Bogan variety lol.

Sloan! Oh, they will be recorded yes. But my brother (our drummer) broke his toe recently >_< so we've tracked to the pre-pro programmed drums :D we have to push drum tracking back a bit!