OT Black Album Live!

Pity Slayer never evolved, they are were scared of losing there fans so the stuck to the succsessful formula. That's selling out. :lol:

Yeah, because Show No Mercy, South Of Heaven, & Diabolus In Musica all sound too fucking similar to each other. :rolleyes:

Go play with your Metallica action figures until you learn the facts.

Troll and mark. :lol:

This comparison between TBA and the 80s albums has gone fuckin insane! Like I said there are similarities AND differences.

James Hetfield even says in A Year and A Half in the Life Of Metallica that they deliberately overhauled their songwriting formula, focusing on a few core riffs rather than elaborate, lengthy riffage; slowing the tempo; downtuning the guitar (first time ever done for Metallica on TBA); etc. These are Hetfield's word fella.

There is also the production element. TBA is a crisp, clean, smooth record. All the notes and drum hits are delivered with perfection because the album is so heavily produced with the 1990s analogue equivalent of pro-tools and MULTIPLE takes. TBA is a bass heavy disc, lots of low end on all the intruments. Sometimes there are FOUR guitar tracks per riffs laid down (in the 1980s they used to do a left+right, excl solos, harmonies, melodies).

What other elements were introduced to the sound on the TBA. Fucking u name it, sitars, shakers, tamborines, vibraphones, and a bunch of other exotic shit which I have no idea what it's all called.

I could go on but this is a waste of my time. Pray tell us stompmosher, what, in your opinion, IS thrash metal? Please, be exhaustive, but please be concise.

You also missing the point about 'genre' - obviously categorising things in this way inherently entails generalisation. RtL is a thrash metal album. But I'll await your definition of thrash before we go there...

This comparison between TBA and the 80s albums has gone fuckin insane! Like I said there are similarities AND differences.

James Hetfield even says in A Year and A Half in the Life Of Metallica that they deliberately overhauled their songwriting formula, focusing on a few core riffs rather than elaborate, lengthy riffage; slowing the tempo; downtuning the guitar (first time ever done for Metallica on TBA); etc. These are Hetfield's word fella.

There is also the production element. TBA is a crisp, clean, smooth record. All the notes and drum hits are delivered with perfection because the album is so heavily produced with the 1990s analogue equivalent of pro-tools and MULTIPLE takes. TBA is a bass heavy disc, lots of low end on all the intruments. Sometimes there are FOUR guitar tracks per riffs laid down (in the 1980s they used to do a left+right, excl solos, harmonies, melodies).

What other elements were introduced to the sound on the TBA. Fucking u name it, sitars, shakers, tamborines, vibraphones, and a bunch of other exotic shit which I have no idea what it's all called.

I could go on but this is a waste of my time. Pray tell us stompmosher, what, in your opinion, IS thrash metal? Please, be exhaustive, but please be concise.

You also missing the point about 'genre' - obviously categorising things in this way inherently entails generalisation. RtL is a thrash metal album. But I'll await your definition of thrash before we go there...

The thing that Should not be is in the same tuning as Sad but True. The Justice album has plenty of Low end, just misdirected. The Justice albums guitar tracks are layered up to six times. You have that backwards, they reduced the layering for TBA. Yep thep stripped it down, that does not equal selling out. TBA has brilliant production values, I wish the prvious albums had that level of production, but without the tambourines and sitars. I know they wanted it for Pupppets. They have always gone for the perfect take multiple times, from RTL onwards. Flemming Rasmussen would spend days editing drum tracks to make them perfect. I will not explain myself any further, this was a topic and TBA live, nothing more. Thanks.

The thing that Should not be is in the same tuning as Sad but True. The Justice album has plenty of Low end, just misdirected. The Justice albums guitar tracks are layered up to six times. You have that backwards, they reduced the layering for TBA. Yep thep stripped it down, that does not equal selling out. TBA has brilliant production values, I wish the prvious albums had that level of production, but without the tambourines and sitars. I know they wanted it for Pupppets. They have always gone for the perfect take multiple times, from RTL onwards. Flemming Rasmussen would spend days editing drum tracks to make them perfect. I will not explain myself any further, this was a topic and TBA live, nothing more. Thanks.

Wow how enlightening. You won't explain any further because you don't know what the fuck you are talking about... period.

For you to sit here and tell people that The Black album is similar to Ride the Lightening, ... And Justice For All etc is fucking so ridiculous that there is no way anyone can take you seriously. You are about the only person that can take yourself seriously with stupid comments like that.

You are dissing Slayer so obviously you don't even like Thrash metal in the first place. Go listen to Don't Tread on Me and bang your head with the rest of the mainstream rock radio pussies.

I'll go put on Blackened and think to myself 'God what the fuck happened to the band that used to make amazing shit like this?'

- Are you kidding me?

More like it: (and nothing remotely similar to the Black album Metallica)

The best thing was on the Metal Evolution documentary Dave Lombardo said he took the Metallica "Black Album" and threw it down a flight of stairs haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I wont dignify that with a response. From now on you will be on my ignored list. Should have done it a long timae ago. I suggest to everyone else that doesn't like this guy to do so as well. I know he'll say shit behind my back, who cares. How biased is the comparison with the songs, why not pick 2 closer in match, that's right you cant hear it sorry......I'm surprised you didn't put Battery vs NEM. LOL.

I wont dignify that with a response. From now on you will be on my ignored list. Should have done it a long timae ago. I suggest to everyone else that doesn't like this guy to do so as well.

Funny cause thats where youve been on mine since you got IMFAN09 banned. I never liked you from the beginning and I also dont think anyone gives 2 plates of piss about what you have to say here.

I never got him banned. The mods even posted here to say that, now you look silly. I don't care if I'm on anyones ignored list, you're probably better off. LOL. He got banned for hijacking threads and belittling peoples opinions and when he got warned (multiple times from the mods) he backchatted them and got kicked off.

This thread was about TBA live, not yet another fucking debate about who sold out that admittedly I got sucked into. Those that turned hijacked this thread and turned it into a debate that has nothing to do with the actual topic are stupid.

I never got him banned. The mods even posted here to say that, now you look silly. I don't care if I'm on anyones ignored list, you're probably better off. LOL. He got banned for hijacking threads and belittling peoples opinions and when he got warned (multiple times from the mods) he backchatted them and got kicked off.

This thread was about TBA live, not yet another fucking debate about who sold out that admittedly I got sucked into. Those that turned hijacked this thread and turned it into a debate that has nothing to do with the actual topic are stupid.

Well you like to take little veiled shots at us in your responses to the posts in the thread. Obviously keeping things off topic yourself.

I never started it but I did retaliate, pretty dumb hey but when you get labed a moron just for your opinion I guess I had to retaliate. If someone hijacks a thread I will defend it but I will no more. If it's bad enough I'll that person will go on the ignore list LOL.

The Black Album is a good metal album, but it's not thrash. Metallica became mega successful by slowing things down, making things simpler, which the wider audience could accept.

These days the only songs on Kill em All that I can listen to are Jump in the Fire and Anaesthesia. Ride the Lightning is fine except for Trapped Under Ice and Escape, which seem like filler to me. Master of Puppets I can listen to all the way through - not a bad song. With And Justice for All it's Blackened, One and Dyer's Eve.

I'm not sure if any bands stayed 'true' to thrash in the 90s. Slayer perhaps come closest, but many were messing around with grunge, industrial or nu-metal stylings.

False. Most pre- black album Metallica fans, the die hard ones gave up on this band a long time ago. They are not even around to answser your stupid hypothetical poll question.

You think the Black album is "The perfect metal album" and I am here to tell you that you are a fucking moron

The black album was pretty much universally panned by contemporary bands too right? Didn't slayer and anthrax hate on them for releasing the album back in the day?

Wow, this one's again amazing, so I will throw in my 50 cents as well ...:D

Kirkland, to me you are not worthy to receive anything but pity, so much offense and dislike in your direction in real life?
Anthrax_Mosher, what's your fucking role in this game, playing a virtual bully partner to Kirkboy, Dude, you should be cautious, following the wrong idols can lead to quite some trouble, we, Germans have learned quite a lot about this one in the past ...;-)
Sorry, I really hate that way of acting and behaving online.
To the topic: I think the idea of playing TBA live completely is cool, I also like that album and what we learn is that Metallica is the only band in the world being capable of taking Heavy Metal to these spheres of success. I think if 99% of all metal bands were to sign a deal "Forget about all your hardcore, thrash and whatever non-commercial roots you might have, use the black album formula and you will be successful", THEY ALL WOULD DO IT AND THEY'D EVEN BE FUCKING PROUD.
Look at the albums by Testament (The Ritual) and Megadeth (Countdown to extinction) in those days. Slower, more basic songs, ballads ... but not really successful, so what did they do? They went back to their roots, playing again heavier and faster, which led to more COMMERCIAL success (which was very much supported by the appearance of Machine Head who ignited the revival of Thrash tmo)! What did Metallica do? They did Load/Re-Load, on the one hand two bullshit records, on the other they behaved like artists by doing again something really new ...

Cheers!

Scott's favourite Metallica album is TBA.

Oh shit, I guess I should like the Black album now!

Scott also is an arrogant ahole that plays in a very lame band called The Damned things, did a lame reality show with Sabastian Bach and plays on some terrible albums such as Stomp, Volume 8, and WCFYA. Not much credibility where he comes from. He lost touch with Metal about 20 years ago