OT Black Album Live!

Wow, this one's again amazing, so I will throw in my 50 cents as well ...:D

Kirkland, to me you are not worthy to receive anything but pity, so much offense and dislike in your direction in real life?

Dislike in my direction? Sure a few may dislike me but I really don't care. I will always say it how I see it. Metallica is a huge disgrace to metal music. Everyone that bought into their bullshit and supported them after the Black album was released should be embarrassed and really question if they really are a metal fan or not.

Predictable reaction which perfectly underlines my personal "metalhead-o-meter": 95 % of metal fans are cool, open-minded and tolerant regarding other opinions as we all love the greatest music style on earth and then there are those 5 % proclaiming to be "real", "non-commercial", "straight" (add whatever trait you desire) with an at least questionable attitude (speaking in terms of real cheap attempts of insulting etc.).

The sad thing is that those 5% give a very bad reputation to those others and that to my opinion is quite a shame. You're absolutely free to judge for yourself which music like and dislike, but calling other metalheads idiots for liking certain sorts of metal music or (to be more precise) certain artistical periods and eras is unacceptable and stupid.

'nuff said!:D

Let me get this straight Kirkland.....

I loved TBA when it came out and still do till this day. I went and saw them the last time they played here 18 months ago and loved it.

The last 3 records I've gone out and purchased have been Kreator, Soulfly, and Six Feet Under.

Yet you say I should be embarrassed and question whether I'm really a metal fan????

You're a fucking idiot mate. Just saying it as I see it, as you like to say.

Remember - this is your logic - not mine.

Predictable reaction which perfectly underlines my personal "metalhead-o-meter": 95 % of metal fans are cool, open-minded and tolerant regarding other opinions as we all love the greatest music style on earth and then there are those 5 % proclaiming to be "real", "non-commercial", "straight" (add whatever trait you desire) with an at least questionable attitude (speaking in terms of real cheap attempts of insulting etc.).

The sad thing is that those 5% give a very bad reputation to those others and that to my opinion is quite a shame. You're absolutely free to judge for yourself which music like and dislike, but calling other metalheads idiots for liking certain sorts of metal music or (to be more precise) certain artistical periods and eras is unacceptable and stupid.

'nuff said!:D

You are on the right track in a way. Most metal fans in life are average. They listen to average music, go with the flow. Eat average food..hot dogs, chicken wings, drink average drinks, bud light, coors light, and listen to average every day music like metallica, ozzy, or whatever else sounds good at the moment on the radio. That is the majority of the population.

Life is a bell curve. Most fall on the top of the curve. There are some to the left of the bell which listen to total garbage like Five Finger Death punch and think they are amazing. But then there are those to to the right of the bell curve who actually see that bands like Five Finger Death punch are a total joke, and are able to see that Metallica didn't just naturally release the Black album, they can see Metallica hired Bob Rock to come in and make them a huge commercial success. They along with their label turned into a hard rock boy band with guitars and drums. They ditched their thrash roots, their 'punk' attitudes and sold out. I won't even go into when they transformed their look to look like preppy alternative pussies on the next album.

There are obviously some who are confused and will listen to Death metal and also love the Black album, it happens. But it's a small percentage..you seem to fit into that small percentage.

Well, I think I sort of get your point, nevertheless it's difficult, since that defintion of average is to be seen with probably every single person on this planet (ok, I will exclude you since you seem to be acting and behaving extraordinary in every way), hey, I remember meeting Chris Barnes after Wacken Open Air in 2000 or something eating at Burger King, but whatever ...

That example of Five Finger Death Punch is typical, what's the problem if people like them (personally I even have to admit that a couple of songs do quite well on long trips on the motorway, not saying that I'm any huge fan), but I simply think that uncommercial metal attitude is crappy since all "professional" bands do the music for their living ...

Blaming Metallica for hiring Bob Rock, great than you also have to blame Slayer for hiring Rick Rubin or every Band that hired Fleming Rasmussen after Metallica.

I think your problem might be that if a band which you formerly liked turned to another direction, you seem to take this very personal.

Inore list. Just do it. He'll only have 4 or 5 friends then. It'll pop the balloon and the fun for him will be over. No one to abuse anymore.

I think your problem might be that if a band which you formerly liked turned to another direction, you seem to take this very personal.

I really hate when bands do that. Its almost like in high school when someones nice to you then talks crap behind your back. Thats what its like when bands change their sound to appeal the masses. Theyre nice to us to our face at first then they talk crap behind our backs by watering down their sound and delivering a horrible product.

Its people like you that expect us to just take whatever were given without having a personal opinion even though we put money into these bands, we BUY their CDs, we BUY their t-shirts, we BUY tickets to their shows. Were the fans, we tell you what we like and then you give it to us.

I really hate when bands do that. Its almost like in high school when someones nice to you then talks crap behind your back. Thats what its like when bands change their sound to appeal the masses. Theyre nice to us to our face at first then they talk crap behind our backs by watering down their sound and delivering a horrible product.

Its people like you that expect us to just take whatever were given without having a personal opinion even though we put money into these bands, we BUY their CDs, we BUY their t-shirts, we BUY tickets to their shows. Were the fans, we tell you what we like and then you give it to us.

So if a band caves in to the fans request, that would be selling out then. You don't have to buy anything, it's your choice. If you no longer like a band, don't listen to them, give your opion and respect what other have to say. Why take it so personal? If you like the earlier material, then it's money still well spent. These days you know what you are getting before you buy it so you don't have to waste your money and be so upset. Do you feel ripped off if you can't complete your album collection because and band makes a change or something?

So if a band caves in to the fans request, that would be selling out then. You don't have to buy anything, it's your choice. If you no longer like a band, don't listen to them, give your opion and respect what other have to say. Why take it so personal? If you like the earlier material, then it's money still well spent. These days you know what you are getting before you buy it so you don't have to waste your money and be so upset. Do you feel ripped off if you can't complete your album collection because and band makes a change or something?

With this logic, Anthrax sold out by doing TGOTE.

Just sayin.

But Im gonna be a little more professional (unlike you) and end the arguments here.

:Shedevil::Shedevil:

Cool, with the last sentence you actually force the bands to act commercially ... isn't that a bit weird, I might ask myself ...o_O

With this logic, Anthrax sold out by doing TGOTE.

Just sayin.

But Im gonna be a little more professional (unlike you) and end the arguments here.

:Shedevil::Shedevil:

Actually, the band instigated the Idea and made requests to the fans. So no sellout there. I'd would have agreed with you though if it was the other way around.

I'm not sure if any bands stayed 'true' to thrash in the 90s. Slayer perhaps come closest, but many were messing around with grunge, industrial or nu-metal stylings.

Sodom. Even when they were doing their more punkish style, it was only a reflection of Tom's influences-he alwas had a few punkish songs in his first albums. So if you want one that has stayed "true" more or less, take a listen to Sodom (Tapping the Vein was what, 1992? Incredible thrash album.)

I think Thrash is a very exciting style, but many people are pre-conditioned to hate it. That's fine, because it's your choice. That you only like the slower Kill'em All songs show how you really will (probably) never get into Thrash (nor Speed Metal). Hit the Lights, as short and simple as it is, it's amazing. I remember listening to it over and over again on LP as a kid. Mike Sifringer from Destruction was really inspired by that song, and I can see why. Phantom Lord, Metal Militia, all amazing. Staying so-called "true" was hard to do to keep going in the "music business", because not even after the relative comercial success of Thrash Metal with the so-called "Big 4" was Thrash really a socially accepted genre (the "4" were not always the best standard-bearers for Thrash, IMHO.)

So, it's not that Thrash had to evolve (I.E be dumbed/slowed down), but that most people for unknown reasons just really hated the genre, and it was never meant to be a popular genre. I am actually surprised that the sons of Thrash actually did relatively better (black, death, etc.), because (of course) I still prefer just good ol' Speed/Thrash, and it's not as if those genres are any more palatable to the general public.

I don't have much respect for the Black Album myself, but I don't care whether somebody likes it-to each their own. Indeed, Metallica was never the fastest or more brutal Thrash band. But they still had Thrash songs in all of their first 4 albums (of course, not all, but some of these songs were very good even when they weren't Thrash.) Ironically, it is the hit from AJFA that I don't like as much, although it is a good song (One). The rest of the songs are pretty amazing and it's rather sad (Thrash metal-wise, not economically-wise for them) that they opted for a more commercial sound-especially since in their initial years they were all about being "true". I don't think it was evolution, but just an economical decision (I mean no offense-it's ok for them to do whatever they want, although it made it harder for the other bands that were riding on Thrash's relative success.) So, yes, I don't like TBA, but I don't care if you adore it, as who I am to tell you what to listen to?

Sodom. Even when they were doing their more punkish style, it was only a reflection of Tom's influences-he alwas had a few punkish songs in his first albums. So if you want one that has stayed "true" more or less, take a listen to Sodom (Tapping the Vein was what, 1992? Incredible thrash album.)

I think Thrash is a very exciting style, but many people are pre-conditioned to hate it. That's fine, because it's your choice. That you only like the slower Kill'em All songs show how you really will (probably) never get into Thrash (nor Speed Metal). Hit the Lights, as short and simple as it is, it's amazing. I remember listening to it over and over again on LP as a kid. Mike Sifringer from Destruction was really inspired by that song, and I can see why. Phantom Lord, Metal Militia, all amazing. Staying so-called "true" was hard to do to keep going in the "music business", because not even after the relative comercial success of Thrash Metal with the so-called "Big 4" was Thrash really a socially accepted genre (the "4" were not always the best standard-bearers for Thrash, IMHO.)

So, it's not that Thrash had to evolve (I.E be dumbed/slowed down), but that most people for unknown reasons just really hated the genre, and it was never meant to be a popular genre. I am actually surprised that the sons of Thrash actually did relatively better (black, death, etc.), because (of course) I still prefer just good ol' Speed/Thrash, and it's not as if those genres are any more palatable to the general public.

I don't have much respect for the Black Album myself, but I don't care whether somebody likes it-to each their own. Indeed, Metallica was never the fastest or more brutal Thrash band. But they still had Thrash songs in all of their first 4 albums (of course, not all, but some of these songs were very good even when they weren't Thrash.) Ironically, it is the hit from AJFA that I don't like as much, although it is a good song (One). The rest of the songs are pretty amazing and it's rather sad (Thrash metal-wise, not economically-wise for them) that they opted for a more commercial sound-especially since in their initial years they were all about being "true". I don't think it was evolution, but just an economical decision (I mean no offense-it's ok for them to do whatever they want, although it made it harder for the other bands that were riding on Thrash's relative success.) So, yes, I don't like TBA, but I don't care if you adore it, as who I am to tell you what to listen to?

Thanks mate, couldn't say it any better, Sodom is a good example, we call them Motörhead of Thrash here, since you will always know what you get from them, I saw them live on the tour for Tapping the vein which is probably their best "technical" album, not listening so much to that anymore, but in those days it was awesome. Regarding thrash metal I have always preferred the more groovy songs and styles (such as Channel Zero or Grip Inc etc.). So, let's close this one and be happy that we generally all hit at least the same direction regarding the style of music!
:devil::devil::devil:

That's an awesome way of stating your opinion. I just wish others could do the same without being called a moron. I love the trash element of Metallica as much as the modern Metallica so it's all good to me. Cheers friend.

Okay i saw that ROCK am Ring Live Stream yesterday, Metallica play`ed that Black album. They startet this Concert with "Hit The Lights" and Master Of Puppets. I`am surprised some Black Album Songs sounded like a KillEm All Song. So iam build a diffrent opinion, some Black Album Songs sounded very diffrent these days, its important how u play that Black Album Songs. Back in the year 1991 Bob Rock and his Song Sound was important for Metallica Black Album. These Days Metallica was inspirated from Rick Rubin and change the way to play. the overproduced Bob Rock Sound for the black album its no more important for metallica. they play the black album song raw and more dirty, so i catch up a diffrent feeling and change my mind.

So, these days ... the most of the Black Album can sounded like a newer NWOBHM Song, they pick up an older SAXON Guitar Sound

This is one of the few moments on TBA that reminds me of anything from the previous albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFbdYvolxRM

Still doesn't remind me of anything previous to it. Might have a semi heavy riff at the beginning but as soon as the commercialized vocals and chorus comes in it ruins it

I just can't listen to anything on this album without getting really sick to my stomach

It's funny that main riff in the intro almost sounds like The Devil You Know :lol:

I love the way when you know your argument in this thread is so flawed Kirkland, you just don't respond to my post above. Not the first time either.....