OT-Chuck Schuldiner

That was a fantastic tribute! Makes you wonder how they got a hold of all those family photos and videos, but it brings new insight and makes him even more human when you see them.

I am a big fan of all his work, and I think the metal community needs to stop taking themselves so damned seriously (ie: the guy who wrote that article) and just enjoy the music and what Chuck did for the genre.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Actually, considering I'm not familiar with the music, can anybody tell me where I should start?

Probably with one of the later albums. I'd go for Symbolic. Excellant mix of thrash, death and some techinical progressive shit. My personal favoirte.

I think you should listen to all albums but start with later-era (Human;Individual Thought Patterns,Symbolic,The Sound Of Perseverance)
It is more technical and all the line-up changes in each album gives a different touch of musicianship with Chuck s incredible songwriting and lyrics.(like in Human and ITP Steve Digiorgio wrote some of the best basslines ever written etc.)So check out later albums first but listen to all albums. \m/

Its very hard to choose favorites Death album but i think mine is Symbolic.cheers:

Liquid Diamonds said:
Believe it or not, I've never heard any of Chuck's music (let the flaming begin!!). But with such strong recommendation, I plan to check it out right away. However, despite knowing nothing about the man, I can safely state that this:

is the most heinous, retarded, malicious thing I have read in a long time. Whoever wrote it is, quite frankly, a self-righteous, misguided, nasty little cunt.

Sending an e-mail to the man's family, that's just sick...:erk:
wow, great post, i've heard death and control denied's music, it's truly amazing. i hate the site anus.com (c'mon, the name alone shows you where their line of thinking comes from.)they're little angry shitheads who like trolling on any band that to them isn't "true" or genuinely evil. hell opeth isn't even listed on the site (feel free to check it out if you don't believe me). in my own humble opinion, metal is a style of music, nothing more, nothing less, a means to an end. if you want it just as artistic expression, use it that way. if you use it to spread a religious or philosophical message, use it that way. but don't berate another man's music because of his spiritual beliefs or categorize a whole style because your favorite band wants to glorify odin, or thor, or jesus christ, or satan, buddha or whoever.
the point is, if you don't like the music, DON"T FUCKING LISTEN TO IT!
i just now realized that i was rambling, so i'll stop now:dopey:

Chuck Schuldiner was a competent musical technician, but as an artist he left much to be desired (for instance, some ideas of his own). He basically made a career out of taking ideas from innovators in extreme metal and dumbing them down for mass consumption. His personal history was littered with assorted less than honourable actions, and his post-death cannonization by fanboys is sickening to say the least. I'm glad ANUS continues to keep that letter on the site as a monument to the truth about Chuck.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Chuck Schuldiner was a competent musical technician, but as an artist he left much to be desired (for instance, some ideas of his own). He basically made a career out of taking ideas from innovators in extreme metal and dumbing them down for mass consumption. His personal history was littered with assorted less than honourable actions, and his post-death cannonization by fanboys is sickening to say the least. I'm glad ANUS continues to keep that letter on the site as a monument to the truth about Chuck.

Why am I not surprised?

1) Give an example of his 'less than honorable actions'.
2) Who are the 'innovators' from which he stole ideas and 'dumbed them down'.

Liquid Diamonds said:
1) Give an example of his 'less than honorable actions'.

Let's see, how about ditching his band, the day before the start of a European tour, leaving the other guys to fulfill his contractual obligations because he wanted to go back and record Human instead...

2) Who are the 'innovators' from which he stole ideas and 'dumbed them down'.

Possessed, Coroner and Cynic, among ohers...