OT - Other recommended bands?

Lee_B

Readin' me posts are ya?
May 16, 2001
Surbiton. The Posh bit
www.elitistrecords.co.uk
I was wondering what new or unsigned bands out there everyone thought had the best promise for the future?

For my own part I was most impressed by Rakoth from Russia. Their debut album showed a great deal of maturity, and the second out soon should hopefully take things a stage further. I think the label's called code666 (I don't have the CD with me here at work). The label seems to have a good ear and there are other bands worth checking out.

I'd also highly recommend Hollenthon from Austria. It's a project band from Martin (ex Pungent Stench). The music is not only of a high quality, but the innovation shown in the song arrangements is inspiring. He basically works riffs around the base of various samples, so you end up with Gregorian chants, Maori war crys, Native American vocal melodies and all sorts of other bizarre stuff blended into some sort of unique hybrid. It sounds weird, and it is, but it really works. They're on Napalm records and there may well be some sound samples on www.hollenthon.com

What else is out there that I should be listening to?

Lee B

A promising new band from Finland is "Kalmah" (means 'death' or 'demise') with their album Swamplord. I'd say it's somewhat similar to Old Man's Child, with some influences from In Flames. Go to the site and listen to their samples.

At last we're getting this kind of music from Finland. About time. ;)

Official Kalmah Website