OT: Talk to me about wrestling

I went to wrestlemania at ford field back about 7 years ago now i think.. Definitely one of the coolest things i've been to.. Also went to raw when it was at van andel around that same time..

The peak of my interest was when The Rock was at the top.. Before he left for the movie carreer.
I haven't really followed it in the last 5 years or so, but i'm no wwe hater or anything like that.

Rock and Cena were excellent last night. I know Cena had to bite his tongue when he praised Rock's dedication to the company, as the guy who couldn't keep up with Punk is busy bulking up for the movie he's shooting after Mania. But he sold it. Speaking of selling, Ricardo Rodriguez's broken ankle might be the best sell I've ever seen. That's last week's news. Punk Taker feels forced. Punk hasn't been his best, I think because he looks really awkward tossing the urn around. He doesn't have natural ball skills to translate to urn tossing. But he's at his best when he can pick apart others' words. Taker hasn't given him any. I really expected to be entertained by Fandango, but the " say my name right" thing was played by the time he repeated the first time. Move it along. But, he appears to be athletic without being undersized, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the ring. Hunter kicking Barrett in the nuts was a bit of a head scratcher. He's a brawling tough guy face, right? Kicking guys in the nuts seems out of character and weasely. But so does peeing your pants.

All in all, these would be adequate Raws if they were building up for Cyber Sunday. But for Mania, they're very very underwhelming.

The Kentucky trip was awesome. Mania itself was a little disappointing, but Raw last night was unbelievable.

3igx6Ty.gif

WWF is just so silly.

(I'm calling it WWF and not WWE because that's what it was known as when I was a kid).

I'm a big fan of the art, business, and politics of wrestling. It's not so much a " who well win this match" interest so much as an interest in watching these guys do what they do, and how their characters develop in the process. This ends up in me cheering for a lot of heels, not because I'm too cool for the good guys, but just because I respect their work. For example, nobody can sell others' offense like Dolph Ziggler. I think he's incredible in the ring. I really thought he'd excel on the mic in a face role, and he really hasn't been able to overcome the material yet. I cheer for him to get over and connect. That's just an example. Sometimes too though, they tell legitimately compelling stories like the current Punk-Heyman angle.

If you watch a few times, especially with fans of the business, you may enjoy it more than you think. Am I right, Matt?

I'm a big fan of the art, business, and politics of wrestling. It's not so much a " who well win this match" interest so much as an interest in watching these guys do what they do, and how their characters develop in the process. This ends up in me cheering for a lot of heels, not because I'm too cool for the good guys, but just because I respect their work. For example, nobody can sell others' offense like Dolph Ziggler. I think he's incredible in the ring. I really thought he'd excel on the mic in a face role, and he really hasn't been able to overcome the material yet. I cheer for him to get over and connect. That's just an example. Sometimes too though, they tell legitimately compelling stories like the current Punk-Heyman angle.

If you watch a few times, especially with fans of the business, you may enjoy it more than you think. Am I right, Matt?

You are correct. Anyone I’ve ever talked to who thinks wrestling is “stupid” or “gay” or what have you, has never even given it the time of day (and honestly you can say that about a lot of negative opinions about a lot of things). Yeah it’s fake, yeah it’s ridiculous. No shit, Sherlock. That’s half the fun though and it’s unbelievably entertaining. And the moves some of these guys pull are just fantsatic.

I’ll never forget the time that Triple H cracked Brock Lesnar’s head open. It was so awesome.

So… WWE has gotten very good lately.* I hate that I only update when I have complaints.* But this week’s Raw really bugged me.

*Daniel Bryan just won the WWE title at the last PPV.* I was pulling for him and would have liked to see him get a good run, but Orton cashing in was a good move.* Let Bryan build a little bit more by chasing Orton’s title.* Heel champs always work well for that reason, the excitement of the good guy finally getting that title from him.* So that part was well and good.* But the way things have gone since are making me mad.

*Triple H is just crapping on everything as he normally does.* With Austin and the Corporation there was so much back and forth, the McMahons would get Stone Cold, Stone Cold would get the McMahons.* This has been nothing but McMahons beating down Bryan and anyone who wants to help him.* We get it.* It’s established, they’re going to do everything they can to keep him from getting the title.* He looks completely incapable of doing anything about it.* Night of Champions is in two weeks.* We’re supposed to buy the PPV to see if Daniel Bryan can overcome the McMahons and win the title that he deserves.* But they’ve shown us the answer already.* No, he can’t.* He’s shown no signs of being able to do it.* Which brings me to my next point.

*Why did Big Show need to hold back in his match with Bryan?* You know, Big Show, who hasn’t been in the WWE title picture in ages?* Versus Bryan, who beat the great John Cena clean, in the middle of the ring, to win WWE’s top title.* So why is Big Show all of a sudden someone who Bryan can’t beat, let along someone who will completely squash Bryan if he doesn’t restrain himself?* And they bring up Show’s old “iron clad contract” and just say they’ll rescind it if he doesn’t do it… ummm… okay?* So why not rescind Bryan’s rematch clause?* The storytelling is just ungodly sloppy.* Yes, it’s just cheesy wrestling, but you have to at least make some sense if you expect people to buy in.

They basically have the hottest act since the Summer of Punk, and they’re not giving the crowd a chance to cheer for him.* But hey, at least Triple H is back as the center of attention.

They’ve made every single face into a sad puppy sympathetic character.* It’s stupid.* Where’s the badass?* It’s just Punk, but his storyline apparently occurs in a bubble.* Everything else has Triple H stepping all over it.

Still, the wrestling has been AWESOME!* One thing- Dolph… you sell so well.* It’s getting to be TOO well- it’s beginning to make him look like a pansy who can’t take the pain as well as the others.* Get some offense.* It’s tough to believe him as someone capable of doing anything the way he continues to put so much emphasis on selling.

All this being said… if you ever enjoyed wrestling past young childhood, now is a good time to give it another try.* The matches are fantastic, the characters are interesting and well-developed, and the stories are compelling

EDIT: Never mind all the asterisks. I don't know where those came from. Something about copying and pasting I'm sure.

My complaints above remain. There's nothing left for Daniel Bryan to prove, but they're adding him to a midcard stable anyway and killing his character's existing momentum for the umpteenth time.

Anyway, Nick, that's a game changer and exceeds everyone's expectations. Including Mania was the big shocker. That's one that people buy regardless, just because it's Mania. I'm personally less enthused because I live in DSL land. 2.5 megs isn't going to give me anything I'd ever want to invite someone over to watch. I need a premium TV channel. Even if they charged double, I'd be happy. As it stands I doubt I'll subscribe. Maybe some day.

Vaguely related, I just remembered my commitment is up so it's time for me to price out Dish Network and leverage it against DirecTV or switch.

I just canceled Directv and they did everything in their power to try and keep me as a customer.. Offered me 20$ off my bill every month, free HBO for a year etc.. If you play a little hard ball with them they will give you a lot.

I ended up switching to WOW!, because apparently we can get cable, and more importantly cable internet now. So I'm bundling for a pretty decent rate. All the same channels, plus an extra room, plus presumably the WWE Network will cost less than direct and DSL did.