Oxford compiles list of top ten irritating phrases

Satanstoenail

My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle
Sep 6, 2006
Arse End
A top 10 of irritating expressions has been compiled by researchers at Oxford University.

By Charlotte Bailey

Story from The Telegraph

Heading the list was the expression 'at the end of the day', which was followed in second place by the phrase 'fairly unique'.

The tautological statement "I personally" made third place – an expression that BBC Radio 4 presenter John Humphreys has described as "the linguistic equivalent of having chips with rice."

Also making the top 10 is the grammatically incorrect "shouldn't of", instead of "shouldn't have".

The phrases appear in a book called Damp Squid, named after the mistake of confusing a squid with a squib, a type of firework.

The researchers who compiled the list monitor the use of phrases in a database called the Oxford University Corpus, which comprises books, papers, magazines, broadcast, the internet and other sources.

The database alerts them to new words and phrases and can tell them which expressions are disappearing. It also shows how words are being misused.

As well as the above expressions, the book's author Jeremy Butterfield says that many annoyingly over-used expressions actually began as office lingo, such as 24/7 and "synergy".

Other phrases to irritate people are "literally" and "ironically", when they are used out of context.

Mr Butterfield said: "We grow tired of anything that is repeated too often – an anecdote, a joke, a mannerism – and the same seems to happen with some language."

The top ten most irritating phrases:

1 - At the end of the day

2 - Fairly unique

3 - I personally

4 - At this moment in time

5 - With all due respect

6 - Absolutely

7 - It's a nightmare

8 - Shouldn't of

9 - 24/7

10 - It's not rocket science

What about:

"Just so you know..."

Or worse, especially if you hear it in lyrics to songs:
"And that's a matter of fact"

Also with regards to shouldn't of/have, I'll use it correctly when spelling it but because people often pronounce it like "shouldn't of," out of habit I do say it like that...but that's the same as me saying the word probably as "probly" due to laziness.

"Should of/shouldn't of" is an obvious grammatical error, so of course that should be there. I'm not so sure what their gripe is with "absolutely." "24/7" seems like a useful shorthand term for saying "constantly" or "all of the time."

Cliches like 1,4,5 and 10 are pretty tiresome.

I'm somewhat peeved that "No offense" and "don't quote me on this" didn't make the cut.

I personally thought Oxford researchers had more important things to do than this.

True, the then/than and your/you're phenomenon really should have been addressed first.

Ok, the one I think that bothers me most is:

"I didn't do nothing"

I aint never had no respect for nobody who aint never talked properly.

I think maybe a change will need to be made, because in spoken language, could of, should of, etc. come off as ok. The contraction for could've, should've should be showing up in text more frequently. That's how people talk.

'At the end of the day' is annoying as fuck. I was just about to say when dumbass footballers always say it it pisses me off, then I click on the link and who appears? Stevie G! Also 'You know' is one I cant stand. No I dont fucking know, you'll have to explain the crap coming out of your mouth.

I aint never had no respect for nobody who aint never talked properly.

English is my foreign language, I still make some grammatical errors. So I assume that you have no respect for not properly speaking native speakers.:err:

What I mean is that I still can make some errors and not be aware of it which is common for foreign speakers.

Sounds like there's a bunch of people with sticks up their arses over in the motherland...and here as well.