Pagan Tavern - Your fav pagan/viking/folk/neofolk..etc bands

Sigurðr

Nature lover
Feb 1, 2010
Överallt och ingenstans
Hai
I made this thread to people share their fav bands in the genres on the title.
Every week i seek for some bands and i found very interesting ones.
Sooo...lets share!:kickass:

I found a one man band called Vàli, its just one demo called FORLATT, its beautiful..if you listen you will understand what i mean *Mr V, if you read this, i recommend you this band, its just acoustic feeling with some violin, beautiful!:)*
More agressive bands i like is Månegarm, its one of the best viking metal bands i have, there other band from Germany called VARG they have 2 albums, the last one called BLUTAAR, is very good! I know others but lets talk:kickass:

Vàli is the Skumring's guitarist project, right? good mix of Ulver and Empyrium.

Viking/folk? Kampfar's Mellom Skogkledde Aaser andtheir S/T are easily my fav. Dolk is/was THE viking voice. Others I enjoy a lot: Old Vintersorg, Old Borknagar, New Solefald, Ásmegin, Storm's Nordavind, Falkenbach, Enslaved, Myrkgrav, Empyrium, Ulver's Bergtatt.

Non-metal (neo) folk/neo classical : Empyrium, Ulver's Kveldssanger, Uaral, Tehni, Öröm, October Falls, Faun, Forseti, Nebelung, Ashram, etx.

Vàli is the Skumring's guitarist project, right? good mix of Ulver and Empyrium.

Viking/folk? Kampfar's Mellom Skogkledde Aaser andtheir S/T are easily my fav. Dolk is/was THE viking voice. Others I enjoy a lot: Old Vintersorg, Old Borknagar, New Solefald, Ásmegin, Storm's Nordavind, Falkenbach, Enslaved, Myrkgrav, Empyrium, Ulver's Bergtatt.

Non-metal (neo) folk/neo classical : Empyrium, Ulver's Kveldssanger, Uaral, Tehni, Öröm, October Falls, Faun, Forseti, Nebelung, Ashram, etx.

Yes is the Skumrings :D kampfar is very good, i like very much Dolks voice, especially in KVASS, Fejd is a good folk band too, Ulver is a strange case for me, i like very much the first albums like Kveldssanger, Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler and Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne Til Ulven I Manden..but the rest for me is so...strange :S for me the actual ulver is really bad.
Theres a band i found a couple weeks ago, i recommend:Metsatöll, is an Estonian band, very good..especially the bass lines, the bassist use a lot of chords, is very interesting :)
Oh i almost forgot, when i saw your Cthulhu I remember, theres a band, is symphonic black metal called BAL-SAGOTH, is all about Lovecraft mithology, is very good..very powerful riffs, I like a lot the last album The Chthonic Chronicles

I know Metsatöll and I'm not impressed at all. I like to some extent Bal-Sagoth. Heidevolk, Einherjer, Otyg and Nomans Land are good. Temnozor is decent. Black with folk traces that I like :Taake and Old Satyricon, some Darkthrone and some songs from Isengard, Helrunar, even the latest Rotting Christ and Arckanum can fit the description...it's called 'pagan black' nowadays?

Maybe is sad and, I dunno, but I don't like the vast majority of 'folk metal' alas Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Alestorm, current Ensiferum (their debut is great) - add all the clones... It's really monotonous and uninspired. I can't also dig neither Equilibrium nor Eluveitie.

Current Ulver is incredible, just plays another style.

I dont like Korp too, but Finntroll and Ensiferum i like very much(But i prefer 100 times the old ensiferum with Jari Mäenpää , the first album is great).Alestorm for me is a normal band, its not impress me, but Metsatöll i think is a very good band, i didnt mean the bassist make hard bass lines but the basslines in Metsatöll are very simple but very original and fix very well in the music, its the same thing with Iced earth..any 15-year old guitarrist could play with no difficult but the song is very good and very original *at least for me*
Yes they call pagan-black metal or just pagan metal..i dont know very well the difference, its too many damm names for this :lol:
From this genre 'pagan black metal' i like Mehnrir and Strydegor..Strydegor is incredible, the only band i know with vocals equal from the Johan Hegg, but some guy at AA forum tell me the guitarrist from Strydegor died in a car acident but he didnt know if the band still exists, i wandering that because its a very good band ): And about the Ulver..i dont know, i searched ulver because i wanted some album with the 'Where At Night The Wood Grouse Plays ' atmosphere..and when i found Kveldssanger i loved, and i search the first albums and loved even more..but when i pick up the new ones i just thought 'wtf, is the same ulver?' i mean..its TOO different for me ): i dont like too much this industrial-techno thing

On the Korpiklaani front, honestly I'm liking them less and less with each subsequent release. However, I just adore the two albums that the lead singer did under the name Shaman; they have a lot more Sami yoiking (or joiking, which I just adore), they sing in Sami, and musically they sound a lot more fresh and honest. Il Lea Voibmi is one of my favorites, and at least they still play that song live in an encore.

I wish Korpiklaani would go back to singing in Sami, it's such a beautiful language...

the ones haven't been mentioned yet but very very worthy:

Yggdrasil (SWE), Forefather, Negura Bunget - my personal favourites! Those must be of the best pagan metal bands i have ever heard!

Myrkgrav, Alkonost, Heol Telwen, Menhir, Odroerir, XIV Dark Centuries, Mithotyn, Primordial, Finsterforst, Helfahrt - worth mentioning!!

Newest discovery - Bran Barr. Their 2010 release Sidh is so far on top of my Best of 2010 albums :headbang:

the ones haven't been mentioned yet but very very worthy:

Yggdrasil (SWE), Forefather, Negura Bunget - my personal favourites! Those must be of the best pagan metal bands i have ever heard!

Myrkgrav, Alkonost, Heol Telwen, Menhir, Odroerir, XIV Dark Centuries, Mithotyn, Primordial, Finsterforst, Helfahrt - worth mentioning!!

Newest discovery - Bran Barr. Their 2010 release Sidh is so far on top of my Best of 2010 albums :headbang:

Yggdrasil is beautiful! i love the first album, i want to know if they will release anything new soon:mad: Myrkgrav is other project that i like very much, the Lars clean vocals remember a lot the Mr V clean vocals *at least for me:lol:*

For Vali or Empyrium lovers --> www.myspace.com/faelwa
For Otyg lovers --> www.myspace.com/stormsterk

;)
wow thanks man! i always search for bands with the Vali/Empyrium atmosphere, if you know others please tell me :)

Anyone here ever know Musk Ox? Canadian neo-folk stuff in the vein of later Empyrium, Kveldssanger-type Ulver. Very good stuff, highly recommended.
Never heard about it, but if is Kveldssanger-type so its may be very cool :lol: you know a band called HAMMER HORDE? is a viking band from the USA, but its very very good! I have a doubt, in Scandinavia most part of viking metal bands came from Sweden or Norway but i never heard about viking metal bands from Denmark *Except Svartsot* its strange cuz most part of the viking stories and the viking people came from Denmark

Sigurðr;9044417 said:
Yggdrasil is beautiful! i love the first album, i want to know if they will release anything new soon:mad:
They had a new release last year, called Vedergällning. This year they have announced they split up with their record label so i'm afraid no new album any time soon :cry::cry:

Sigurðr;9044417 said:
Myrkgrav is other project that i like very much, the Lars clean vocals remember a lot the Mr V clean vocals *at least for me:lol:*
Lars should finally stop being so modest and start working on his own music again instead of recording others' !! :mad:

Some non-metal folk/neofolk i would highly recommend:

Danceable merry medieval-like music:
Omnia (NL) (just don't bother for their latest release: i heard it was terrible!);
Stille Volk (their last year's release ended up in my top 10 of 2009 :D)

Dark folk:
Tenhi of course, very beautiful but quite depressing (to me, that is);
Wardruna - highly overrated if you ask me, but lots and lots of people with good music taste seem to like it hehe...

Lars should finally stop being so modest and start working on his own music again instead of recording others' !! :mad:

Some non-metal folk/neofolk i would highly recommend:

Danceable merry medieval-like music:
Omnia (NL) (just don't bother for their latest release: i heard it was terrible!);
Stille Volk (their last year's release ended up in my top 10 of 2009 :D)

Dark folk:
Tenhi of course, very beautiful but quite depressing (to me, that is);
Wardruna - highly overrated if you ask me, but lots and lots of people with good music taste seem to like it hehe...

Theres a new Myrkgrav song in his myspace, but wat you mean with 'instead of recording others'? he play covers? o.o
Tenhi is beautiful, the first album is a masterpiece, but now you mentioned folk/neofolk i recommend you Schandmaul, the first album is great! Forseti is other that i like very much, Darkwood too but some albums are quite strange *industrial thing :mad:* but the first one is great, and finally..theres a Dutch band called Rapalje, is awesome, some musics are very 'tortuga bar' atmosphere :lol:

Sigurðr;9044558 said:
Theres a new Myrkgrav song in his myspace, but wat you mean with 'instead of recording others'? he play covers? o.o

no he works as a sound engineer at Toproom studio

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/toproom-studio/545532-assistant-engineer-checking.html

He has helped recording Borknagar's Universal and Voluspaa's åsa among others...

Sigurðr;9044558 said:
Tenhi is beautiful, the first album is a masterpiece, but now you mentioned folk/neofolk i recommend you Schandmaul, the first album is great! Forseti is other that i like very much, Darkwood too but some albums are quite strange *industrial thing :mad:* but the first one is great, and finally..theres a Dutch band called Rapalje, is awesome, some musics are very 'tortuga bar' atmosphere :lol:

funny you should mention Rapalje - i was just talking about a friend of mine who visits every single Rapalje live concert, and there are quite a few during a year! :lol: a trve fan, why :lol: he must have seen them like 10 times this year only! (this weekend again!) I saw them like 6 times myself too, they are a great live band to sing along to and dance, but i wouldn't listen to them at home... :p

no he works as a sound engineer at Toproom studio

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/toproom-studio/545532-assistant-engineer-checking.html

He has helped recording Borknagar's Universal and Voluspaa's åsa among others...
o___o i didnt know about that! ill see all universal vids searching him :lol: , he appears?

funny you should mention Rapalje - i was just talking about a friend of mine who visits every single Rapalje live concert, and there are quite a few during a year! :lol: a trve fan, why :lol: he must have seen them like 10 times this year only! (this weekend again!) I saw them like 6 times myself too, they are a great live band to sing along to and dance, but i wouldn't listen to them at home... :p
yes i like it very much, I want to see too:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Next year before go to Norway ill go to Rotterdam spend 1 week in a friends house, they do concerts during winter?:)

I will hunt you down and make you change your mind!

Nothing calms me down like Wardruna. Seeing them live gave me chills like no one else have done.

If I start up a new project I will ;)

Maybe Kauan is a band that will please you too btw :)

I saw your myspace, very beautiful songs, congratulations:p
I have a project with a friend in this vein, we are truly inspired in vali so we start to transcribe all vali songs into gp tabs and later make our own folk musics :D

Hmm ill search about it

I will hunt you down and make you change your mind!

Nothing calms me down like Wardruna. Seeing them live gave me chills like no one else have done.

:lol: you can try! many were claiming the same before you, and i still stand my ground! You as a norwegian should have known better! ;) Musicians like Annbjørg Lien etc. were doing this all for years before, and much better than Wardruna! I just don't get what's all this fuss is about, it must be the name... :rolleyes: i don't say anything bad about the music, it's just nothing special what i haven't heard before... However i've never seen them live, maybe that would make a difference...
BTW you do have a great music taste, so there :p

Sigurðr;9044656 said:
o___o i didnt know about that! ill see all universal vids searching him :lol: , he appears?
dunno, i will have to watch them again...

Sigurðr;9044656 said:
yes i like it very much, I want to see too:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Next year before go to Norway ill go to Rotterdam spend 1 week in a friends house, they do concerts during winter?:)

yes they do, but not every week of course so you really have to be lucky, unless you would especially plan your trip for that occasion...