Pagan's Mind - Infinity Divine - AT THE GRAVES!!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
After rave reviews from a friend of mine I finally went out and picked up the newly released first album from Pagan's Mind called Infinity Divine. I was instantly blown away and I sit here completely stunned. Now this is how progressive metal should be done and the power elements just add to the amazingness. I am glad I finally got into this band. This cd is kicking my ass and I cannot stop listening to it. I must say much like my friend said covering King Diamond is no easy feat. One of the bonus tracks on here is a cover of "At The Graves" from the Conspiracy album. It is absolutely amazing and fucking perfect. I wanna lose my mind when I hear it. It also features two very special guests on guitar Gus G. (Firewind, Nightrage, Mystic Prophecy, ex Dream Evil) and Glen Drover (Megadeth, Eidolon, ex King Diamond), two of the best guitarists in the metal world today. The arrangements and just absolutely everything put into this cover blow me away beyond belief. I know most of you are into this band but for those like me who don't know much about them or haven't heard them yet, do your self a favor and get this now!!

Hmm. From how much everyone is raving i might have to pick this new version up. I have the original and like it but not as much as Celestial Entrance. Did they completely rearrange some songs or just slightly? Complete revisions would make the rebuy alot more interesting.

Ben

Daybreaker said:
Hmm. From how much everyone is raving i might have to pick this new version up. I have the original and like it but not as much as Celestial Entrance. Did they completely rearrange some songs or just slightly? Complete revisions would make the rebuy alot more interesting.

Ben
I am in the same boat as you. I have the original and it pales in comparison to Celestial Entrance. To be fair though, this wasn't the first positive review of the re-release I have seen. I think I will have to check it out as well.

Bryant

As reviewed by Rich from www.thatssometal.com

With this revisiting of their first album those wanting to expand their musical horizons with some Progressive Metal will surely enjoy what they have to offer. Guitars are very strong, vocals soar, and the rhythm section is sooo tight.

I must focus my attention on one of the bonus tracks this release has to offer. It is no easy feat to cover a King Diamond song. Being a long time listener of his work, I listened to this cover of “At the Graves” with a fine toothed comb. Pagans Mind did a fantastic job paying homage to the King. Every little detail has been considered right down to the haunting intro, guitar and keyboard tones are dead on as in the original arrangement, this is almost a perfect recreation note for note. The most difficult task is to match King’s voice, singer Niles did not take this task lightly and has matched King on many of the vocals. Even if the tone of his voice is not exactly like Kings his intentions are as wicked as King’s in the original recording. Keyboard sounds and effects are perfect, guitar leads and solos for the most part are true to the original, and what is improvised does not take anything away from the way we are used to it. As a bonus you get Glen Drover (now with Megadeth) who once played guitar with the King Diamond band, and Gus G (guitarist for Dream Evil, Mystic Prophecy, and Firewind). Very cool shit.

My favorite part is what Pagans Mind has done to the ending arrangement right after the last vocal verse King sings, the keyboard accompaniment and instrumentation is just killer. This is Horror Prog Metal at its best.

Pagans Mind have breathed new life into a classic! One of the best covers I have ever heard. King would be proud.

Pagan's Mind can do no wrong!!

I think the best track off this cd is definitly... Embracing Fear (2004 edition). Holy fuck!, the solo part always sends me into a headbanging fury. I sure hope to see them live some day, fuck they rule and yet are so unknown.

Well, I picked this up today cos Im inbetween cd oirders, The End is closed til Jan 3rd and Im waiting for CD Inzane to get the Harem Scarem catalog in so what the hell I thought. Its actually a pretty damn decent buy andthis is from someone who has the original. The vocals are much improved I can say that, and the sound is definitely alot more thicker and encompassing than the thin original one. Ill have a review of this for the next update.

Ben

I'm not really surprised that they did this with the re-release. I recall back when I met them and asked them all to sign the newest album, that they pointed out how much better the production was on it than the first one.

For them to bother to comment on that to a fan, would make it seem that they must of had some real negative feelings about the way the first album turned out, production wise.

If it really is as good as everyone says it is, I may have to order a copy.

Not as good as Celestial Entrance but still a KICK ASS CD.
I was not impressed with the stuff I had heard way back from the original version of the debut album - but this remaster is the sh*t. Embracing Fear 2004 is amazing and I still have to maintain that New Beginning is one of Pagan's all time greatest songs. Ever.

I was just playing that in my new Mustang yesterday on the 1000 watt sound system you can get it the car with and it sounded so damn good I didn't wanna get outta the vehicle. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Burke said:
Not as good as Celestial Entrance but still a KICK ASS CD.
I was not impressed with the stuff I had heard way back from the original version of the debut album - but this remaster is the sh*t. Embracing Fear 2004 is amazing and I still have to maintain that New Beginning is one of Pagan's all time greatest songs. Ever.

I was just playing that in my new Mustang yesterday on the 1000 watt sound system you can get it the car with and it sounded so damn good I didn't wanna get outta the vehicle. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Yeah, and soon maybe he will let his freeeeeeiiinds hear it...