Pagan's Mind-Prog or Power or both????

ICEDEARTHFAN

IN MEMORY.....
Sep 24, 2008
Northeast Alabama
I had never heard Pagan's Mind until I saw the video at ProgPower for next year.After researching them a little,I love what I've heard so far.But some websites list them as a progressive band and some list them as a power metal band.I would like to get some feedback from people that know this band really well.I definitely think I will enjoy their performance.

Both. They touch on some progressive elements, but at the heart they are an amplified melodic hard rock band + King Diamond.

What is considered their best album? I only saw 3 on their website.

They have 4 albums, and the only one I'm not absolutely in love with is their first one, Infinity Devine. As far as a favorite of the other three...that's a tough pick (they're all soooo good)...but I'm going to go with Enigmatic: Calling.

Is the first one more Prog or Power?

Eh...well, it's been a while since I've taken that one out of my library, but I'm going to say it's kinda just straight metal. It's kinda mediocre in my opinion. But with the second album they REALLY changed (for the better in my opinion) and it was not just the music that was better, but the sound quality of the album, and production, etc.

If you're just getting into Pagan's Mind I'd highly recommend "CELESTIAL ENTRANCE".

I'd classify PM as "Melodic Metal" with the best elements of Power, some Prog (more through versatility rather than time changes but theres even some of those), and even Hard Rock. Viggo's guitar tone is absolutely monstrous!

I think that their best CD is Enigmatic Calling, so that's where I would start.
Big fan here, glad they are coming back as I only caught 2 of their songs last time due to a car wreck detour that took 1 1/2 hours. :p

For me...without a doubt it is Celestial Entrance!!! This was my introduction to Pagan's Mind and it was love at first listen. The intro Approaching which morphs into Through Osiris' Eyes...simply amazing. As you can see I love it so much it became my handle on the forum. I love these guys as it blends just the right ingredients for me...a little Prog...a little Power...lots of guitar wizardry...and infectious choruses. The production is spotless and as the Metal Madman stated...JVL's guitar tone is godly. Welcome tpo the world of Pagan's Mind!!!

It doesn't matter where you start, all of their CDs are amazing. :) My favorites are Infinity Divine and Celestial Entrance, though.

But, yeah, a little of both Prog & Power, plus everything Metal Madman said.

For me...without a doubt it is Celestial Entrance!!! This was my introduction to Pagan's Mind and it was love at first listen. The intro Approaching which morphs into Through Osiris' Eyes...simply amazing. As you can see I love it so much it became my handle on the forum. I love these guys as it blends just the right ingredients for me...a little Prog...a little Power...lots of guitar wizardry...and infectious choruses. The production is spotless and as the Metal Madman stated...JVL's guitar tone is godly. Welcome tpo the world of Pagan's Mind!!!

+1...I agree with your post.

On another note, I feel like The God Equation is their weakest effort to date. With that said, it's still a good listen, but it has some very annoying songs on it as well. The most annoying being the David Bowie cover. I loathe that song! :puke:

~Brian~

The great thing about Pagan's Mind is that every album they've released is killer. Thats why peoples choice of their fave album varies. Alot of people see Celestial Entrance as their best work (and I agree) but I also think God's Equation is right up there. Is it power? yes. Is it prog? yes. Is it killer metal? definately. Whatever album you start with won't matter...ye shall be converted.

Enigmatic Calling is my favorite... I think it brings all the elements that the band is known for... Heavy Tones, Great Melody, With Progressive Elements. Nils and Jorn Viggo are awesome!

Celestrial Entrance is where to start, and start with the song aegean shores, because that is my fav song from them, other than atomic fireflight from god's equation(and the title track is killer as well). Love them on cd, but live they totally slay their cds.

First, I'd say they are pretty much the perfect mashup between prog and power. they are the type of band that fits right into a festival like this.

Second, I'd rate their last three albums as being all about equal. The first isn't very good, and even for those that like it it doesn't really give you much of an introduction to what the band is about.

I agree with the others on Celestial Entrance...their #1 no doubt. CE & the debut are their best prog efforts. They've been going downhill ever since CE...The God Equation is just...well...passable.

Enigmatic: Calling is my favorite only because it was the first one I heard by them and I tend to get attached to the first of anything I hear. I think they're all badass albums though. They do play a mix of both styles and they do it to great effect.

I'll echo what others have said here.

I think Pagan's Mind is both prog and power metal. Often times these genres are mixed. Some bands are all prog, some are all power, some are both.

Enigmatic Calling is my favorite album. I have all of their albums and they are outstanding, but I seriously think Enigmatic Calling is one you should start with, then go with Celestial Entrance. God's Equation is OK but not as great as those two albums.