Pain of Salvation

Towelie

A God in my own mind
Nov 15, 2001
Atlanta and Chicago
Visit site
Which songs do I need to check out from these guys? I hear they're amazing... and they're one of the few big bands I hear about that I don't have... I wanna hear the best before I go out and get the CDs.

I'd start with some of their rawer stuff like Used and !(foreword) if you're an Opeth fan.
Then slowly work your way into their softer stuff. Unless of course you're into that already. Then just dive in and check out any song.

I only know the album "Remedy Lane", but this one is really great. It's difficult to pick just a few songs since you have to listen to the album as a whole. So I really recommend you to check out that album!

i randomly went out and bought

one hour by the concrete lake and the perfect element 1

i love this stuff!

i think im enjoying the concrete lake more though.

the lyrics really add to the whole story. if u pick a random song i think you miss a lot of the theme.

One Hour By The Concrete Lake rocks. I think Daniel tries to be too much like Ian Gillian in Jesus Christ Superstar while performing the vocals on TPE I ~ over the top, indeed.

id say go for Remedy Lane.
Give it a few spins before you decide to make up your mind about them.
Eventually youll become a PoS fan checking their oldest works..

Check out anything...

I had Remedy Lane and then saw them live and immediately bought Entropia and The Perfect Element. Now I need to buy One Hour...

They are amazing live! I was so surprised that Daniel was able to have the same vocal range as on the albums. He was also really animated and witty. They were definitely my favorite band from ProgPower. They are slowly inching towards the top of my favorite bands list.

PoS are fucking incredible.

Check out these:

People Passing By
Winning A War
Plains of Dawn
Inside
New Year's Eve
Water
Inside Out
Used
Morning On Earth
King of Loss
The Perfect Element
Ending Theme
A Trace of Blood
Rope Ends
Second Love
BEYOND THE PALE

Originally posted by jester00
the lyrics really add to the whole story. if u pick a random song i think you miss a lot of the theme.

Agreed, also the diversity of their music prevents one from getting an accurate representation from just downlaoding indiscriminately. Get Remedy Lane or Concrete Lake, those are the most immediately accessible IMO.

You really need to hear a Pain of Salvation album in its entirity.

I would suggest "The Perfect Element Part 1"... which I regard as being the greatest album ever made.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
I would suggest "The Perfect Element Part 1"... which I regard as being the greatest album ever made.

The same goes for me!
I can't wait for PTE 2.
It will be interesting to see what direction they go in since Gildenlow has been playing with the Flower Kings and Transatlantic.

Meh. I only have Perfect Element I, but I can't get into these guys with that album. The singer goes too high too often for my tastes, and I get the feeling they were cribbing in a few songs. For instance, compare "Idioglossia" 2:08 with Rush's "La Villa Strangiato" 3:39 and "Song for the Innocent" 1:30 on and Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" ending solo. To the POS fans out there, it may sound really nitpicky, but I swear that I heard both parts and thought immediately I've heard these elsewhere.

That said, King of Loss and Her Voices are pretty good.

Originally posted by Liquid Tension

It will be interesting to see what direction they go in since Gildenlow has been playing with the Flower Kings and Transatlantic.

Hopefully not in any direction that vaguely resembles Flower Kings of Transatlantic.