Panopticon/Oceanic > any Opeth release

Prognostic said:
holy shit i remember you from like 3 years ago when i was a lurker. and i see now where narrot got his username

actually, wasn't that the other way around... ?

but on topic... I like Isis very much since Oceanic and they are getting better with every record (especially the vox!)... Still, they are pretty far from Opeth's level and will be for some time...

On a side note I feel Opeth influenced them considerably... The new record is closer to Opeth's vision than any of their past works... not that they are rip-off's but the influence is becoming more visible

:Wreath: said:
actually, wasn't that the other way around... ?

but on topic... I like Isis very much since Oceanic and they are getting better with every record (especially the vox!)... Still, they are pretty far from Opeth's level and will be for some time...

On a side note I feel Opeth influenced them considerably... The new record is closer to Opeth's vision than any of their past works... not that they are rip-off's but the influence is becoming more visible

You see, this is a thoughtful, rational response people.

Where/how do you hear Opeth's influences on Isis? I ask because I have never heard them mention them in interviews or anything.

Hmm, I never 'got' Isis. I tried so hard what with all the hype that people spread about them, but I could never get it to click. At the moment I don't really see them as even being a blip on Opeth's radar, much less competition, but that's just me.

I much prefer Blut Aus Nord's later works when it comes to big, crushing soundscapes. It could just be the whole 'Doom' genre that gets a bit lost on me, for one reason or another.

The Evil Toucan said:
You see, this is a thoughtful, rational response people.

Where/how do you hear Opeth's influences on Isis? I ask because I have never heard them mention them in interviews or anything.

hahah you're just saying that because I said I liked Isis :lol: but I really do... and I actually saw no interview from those guys, these are my observations

I know they had shifts from heavy to light earlier but right now it's pretty different... they're generally more metal than they used to be and the inspiration vocal-wise is clearly audible: Aaron used some sort of hardcore grunting on earlier albums but right now it's pretty close to normal growling, plus the addition of clean vocals in a ratio similar to Opeth... the music is pretty different of course but other than that I hear the influence clearly... not that it's a bad thing :D as long as I won't hear opeth-wannabe riffs on Isis albums, I'll appreciate them

and cheers to worldwide :lol: haven't seen you here lately?

I like Isis but their best album (Oceanic) does not come close to beating Opeth's best album, ergo they are not better.

Neurosis also completely crush anything Isis has released so far.

Dev said:
Opeth influence on Isis?! What the fuck do you eat/smoke :lol:

the question was irrelevant so I'll not answer it :D

and my explanation can be found in previous posts... I call it an influence because Isis' sound evolved to the present one (have you heard the new one?) while Opeth became known worldwide but it might as well just be a similarity

The new one is not good at all imo. Oceanic and Panopticon are two albums that have changed my life just so you know the circumstances.

Oceanic and Panopticon are very good, but I wouldn't rank them anywhere near any Opeth release. Part of it is the hardcorish screaming. I prefer Mike's death growl any day. Also, I prefer the folky and prog bits of Opeth to the atmospheres of Isis.

That being said, when I'm in the mood, both of the Isis albums mentioned in this thread are fun.

I kind of wish that there could be a band that would combine the best elements of Isis and Esoteric.

wankerness said:
How does the new one stack up? It's the only one I've ever really paid attention to and it's pretty damn good. Did they have so many clean vocals on their earlier ones? I seem to remember Oceanic being quite similar to older Neurosis.

'Tis too clean and pretty for my liking. It's like Isis' take on Ghost Reveries, but on the first few listens none of the songs seem to travel anywhere. It's pleasant the whole time, but not a whole lot more.

Isis is alright IMO. I'll be seeing them open for Tool in a couple weeks which should be cool. I'm curious to see how they are live ?

hibernal_dream said:
'Tis too clean and pretty for my liking. It's like Isis' take on Ghost Reveries, but on the first few listens none of the songs seem to travel anywhere. It's pleasant the whole time, but not a whole lot more.

Ah, ok, I'll give Oceanic and Panopticon some more listens. Is celestial any good?

I like them, but Isis do get boring. And don't dictate that the "repetition and length is for atmosphere and effect", because I can hang in there with the best of them. It just sounds bland quite a lot of the time. Celestial is my favourite album though

celestial and sgnl 05 have some really heavy songs. but it's best to listen to a couple songs from these albums at a time.