Part of one of my songs...

Manbient

Queer Old Man
Jan 12, 2002
Calgary, AB, Canada
www.bumblelovesmusic.com
the thrash section from one of my songs i am writing... Sullen, Analog Kid, and Kushan have all hear rough, ROUGH versions of the song with was a butchered one at best fo what i wanted but ANYWAY, since i got my 7 string i decided to lower one part to give it a little extra POWAH and since sullen asked i am putting up a vid of me playing part of it. Now it sounds kinda lame without drums and bass and all the good stuff (not to mention the intended layered guitar parts i plan on putting in) But it will give you a general idea of the main sound for that part of the song. So lemme know what you think... be sure to tell me if some parts SUCK ASS so i know that they need som attention. I am new to the whole songwriting thing (spent most of my days on techinique for the last 4 years) so i won't take offence if you think it is just garbage. I know Analog kid will be honest (damn bastard rejected one of my solo's hehe just kidding i love ya!). Anyway enjoy! (this is only a small part BTW, the song is around 10:30 as it stands right now)

http://bumbafoot.tripod.ca/shadowdream.exe

shit, that's awesome...u fucking lucky bastard, you have the John Petrucci signature guitar....

the only bad thing i can say is that i don't really like your guitar sound...i think you should try setting the eq so that the bass is 10, middle is 4-5, and treble is 6-8

how long have u been playing for anyway...from the other vids i've seen you're pretty fucking good

*throws own guitar against the wall*

i give up, that kicked ass. between that and altitudes you've reminded me of how much i suck:D can't recommend anything that hasn't already been said. it would be awesome to hear as a part of a finished song.

Yep bumblefoot, thats really good. Youve got a lot of talent, and a lot of creativity and such. But yeh, youve still got a way to go, but i have no doubt you will make it and theres not much advice i can really give coz i know you already have the right attitude so the only thing between you and amazing songs is time. Just keep pushing the boundaries, never be content, think about every different thing you can do to your riffs to make them as good as possible, theres so many different variables:

time signatures (try and get out of the habit of making every riff fit perfectly into a 3/4 or 4/4 bar, there is a lot to be achieved with time signatures but few use them well in a subtle non-showoff way.... this can take a lot of work to do properly)

repeats (ie repeating a riff only 3 times,or maybe 3.5 times)

subtle differences (just coz you play a riff 4 times doesnt mean it has to be exactly the same every time)

remember the other instruments (eg the guitar doesnt nescassarily have to carry the beat, which many people fall into the trap of doing when they play guitar by themselves)

etc

etc

these are things that maybe you already think about, but if you just continue thinking along these lines and keep working towards keeping on improving songwriting you will be very good in a few years. I mean your good already, but youll be very good in a few years if you stick at it.

Keep up the good work.

:lol:
You have one of my songs to record vocals on already, now get going, i wanna hear the result!!

Anytime, my boot is always more than willing to connect with your ass.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
repeats (ie repeating a riff only 3 times,or maybe 3.5 times)

subtle differences (just coz you play a riff 4 times doesnt mean it has to be exactly the same every time)

remember the other instruments (eg the guitar doesnt nescassarily have to carry the beat, which many people fall into the trap of doing when they play guitar by themselves)
And don't forget that all of the above can go hand in hand... For example, you can have a guitar repeating a riff 4 times exactly, but have the drums and/or bass parts doing the variations... Done properly, it can create some really interesting/exciting parts... (This is, of course, if you are composing all the parts yourself...)

I know the quality isn't the best, but from what I gathered, it seems to be pretty cool. I recognized the first two sections from one of those clips you shared earlier.

As for critiquing what you have so far, here are my thoughts (if they mean anything):

Seems like you have some kind of structure/progression planned out, which makes things a lot easier. Just remember that the guitar doesn't have to fill up everything. Having some breathing room will really make it much more lively and energetic. I know you have the skills and technique to play some really busy lines (hell, if I could play like that I would be doing it too), but remember to keep that under control. Quite often the best line/riff can be the simplest ones.

Someone earlier mentioned adding odd rhythms. While I think this is a really cool thing that most bands don't do, I'd advise you to really think about it before employing it. Nothing's worse than a section of a song that you can tell is just there to be "technical." It sounds out of place, and that really ruins the mood created by an otherwise well written song. But if you're up for it, definitely give it a try. You can have stuff like the guitar playing a passage in 5/4, whereas the rhythm section is playing in 4/4. After 4 repetitions of your guitar part (and 5 repetitions of the rhythm part), both can come together to create a really heavy and intense jam in 4/4 (or whatever else you want). That kind of stuff, in my opinion is really cool. In one of my new band's songs, we had a section where all of us are playing the same little riff that's in 7/8, then halfway through I switch into a simple 8/8 part (I play bass, btw), and then we come back together into the "chorus" of the song, which is in 4/4. It serves as a really effective resolution, because the earlier part is so chaotic.

Another area I think you should look into would be your transitions into different sections. I totally understand that you're pretty much forced to "fade" into the next section, and you probably have some thoughts about how to go about doing it on a real recording or band setting, but in case you haven't thought about it, here are some suggestions: you could do short repetitive clean/acoustic arpeggio fills, and then bust into the next heavy section. Opeth likes to do that, which I'm sure you've noticed. Or you could do kind of the opposite, where you go directly into say riff #3 from riff #2 (i'm just using these as examples). These really work when you want to avoid excessive breaks for fills and stuff like that. Plus when using this "technique" you can emphasize the change/shift into the new section by totally changing your rhythm around. For example, in riff #2, the drums could be a fast double bass and snare type, but then when you go into riff #3, it could be much more of a groove with a consistent cymbal/hi hat attack keeping the rhythm/tempo going.

As for your tone, I believe it too needs some work. The first thing you have to remember is that a good tone when you're playing alone will probably suck when being recorded or playing with a band. This isn't always the case, but more than likely (especially with heavy distortion), it'll be true for you. When recording, I'd advise turning your bass down. Somebody said to turn bass to 10... I completely disagree with this. You want to cut the bass because the guitar occupies the mid range of the sonic spectrum. Addin excessive bass on guitar will bring in so much mud, especially when you layer guitars and then add bass. As a very general guidline, I'd keep my settings around say bass: 3 or 4, mid: 6, treble: 5 or 6, depending on preference. Remember that cutting on the EQ is better than boosting because usually when you jack up one of the frequencies, you're very likely to get a muddy sound. Your playing technique matters a whole lot more when recording too. Try to get a better sound by first adjusting your hand positioning (eg. closer to the bridge), then your guitar tone knobs, and finally your amp EQ.

Hopefully this has made sense. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Aborted Fetus

Dude thanx alot! that is all vey useful to me! and i am still looking for more gear because i don't like my tone either (it IS shit) and i have noticed with recording it is a whole different ball game because you can'T HAVE those little slipups because they become instantly noticable, especially any small timing errors.

What specific gear do you have as of now? Maybe I could help you achieve a tone you're after. Of course I don't know as much about guitar equipment as I used to before I switched to bass (I still play rhythm when needed, but bass is my primary instrument now), but there is a chance I could help you. If not, I'm sure some of the other guys here could offer you some tips. Now if you needed some advice on bass equipment, I think I could offer much more help! :D

So yeah, what equipment do you have right now (and what do you plan on getting in the future)?

You fagarse.
Post the original recording, on the six stringer. Better sound on it.

You're still playing good, but the sound was better on the mikey_riff video.

Well considering your effects unit, I'd go easy on the distortion, especially when recording. On recordings, almost wimpy distortions sound infinitely better than the heavy bone crunching ones that sound awesome when you're actually playing. This holds true even for good distortion units/amps, but for digitial effects, which tend to be pretty harsh, this is even more true (at least it is in my opinion). So the next time you record, turn the drive/distortion level down a little and do a sample recording. If it's still really harsh, turn it down even more until you get something that's clear and distinguishable, yet distorted...if that makes sense. My guitarist hates doing that because he "can't play with weak distortion," which I find rather pathetic. He's addicted to that goddamn Metal Zone, which I've really grown to hate, and he insists on cranking the sucker. The result is a really harsh sound and tone that leaves much to be desired. It makes him happy, but the rest of the band (and audience) finds it not quite so appealing. Recording anything is a fucking pain in the ass with him because he REFUSES to turn that damn thing off, and since I'm our "engineer," I'm stuck with a track of shit (until I secretly start turning the knob down when he's not looking :D).

So yeah, try to keep the levels low, and you might be surprised. But then again, I wouldn't really expect too much of a difference because there is only so much you can improve the sound given the circumstances.