Payment- how do you deal with it?

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Do you take payment at the end of every day, at the end of tracking, or when the product is delivered?

I've no standard with this but want to start doing it the same with every project cause the last few have gotten messy with half days and mix revision days and such.

How do you guys do it?

Obviously the final product doesn't leave the studio until payment is complete

50% upfront. I ask for it at least 2 weeks before tracking begins if it's gonna be a big project or if they are paying with check (which I rarely accept). The other 50% before any rough mixes leave my hands, no exceptions. I've gotten burned (I'm sure everyone has) with people running off with rough mixes and disappearing off the face of the earth. Totally my fault, but something I'm definitely not going to let happen again.

That's why I prefer doing blanks. I also cut some parts, unfixable, to prevent somebody more intelligent than others who would cut/paste the good parts to have the actual real song.

i charge by the hour for recording, and then per song for mixing. i ask for payment at the end of each recording session. then, I ask for payment for mixing when i give the band a finished copy of all their mixes when they are 100% happy with the how it sounds.

it seemed like the fairest way to do it. if a band is recording with me, then they have a good idea of how my mixes sound, so they are usually happy with the way they turn out. I have a certain mixing style, and I will not compromise what i think works best. I usually meet with the band, and try to get an idea of whether they would have the qualities i need to make a good album. If i think there may be troubles down the line, I steer clear of the deal.

I usually just send them shitty mp3s to listen to, if they want to not pay me and release that shit, let them. I usually trust the bands im working with. what goes around comes aroundt

most musicians i work with really care about getting the best product possible, and would rather pay for a finished, perfect product

100% before they get any sort of rough mixes or anything in their hands that they could run with, unless I know the band/person personally and know that I'm not going to be dicked over

50% upfront and 50% before any roughs.

I've also started dealing in cash as much as possible with some bands too, cause of the number of bouncing checks......

Everytime i even gave friends a break and delivered masters before payment i got to the point were i had to call for my money 3 months after and got it piece by piece because all the bandmembers didn't all have the money at one time, so it came to the point were i would have to call bandmembers individually for my money :S

So now i do 50% upfront + 50 after, after the last payment they get their master.

I couldn't care less if the master has to go to poland but they don't have money ready yet :) It makes sure they have to stress to get the money, not me.

yeah, i try not to record bands im too personal with, cuz you will get stuck calling individual members for money, or one guy wont show up to record, and you have to explain to the rest of the band that he fucked it up for all of them...

I had a singer who was off on a 2 week coke binge, pushed the band i was recording back so far that i had to choose between finishing the coke head band, or starting another responsible bands recording.
I took the guitarists peavey windsor and told them to fuck off hahahaha cash at the end of each session FTW

he sold me a brand new windsor for 300 canadian $ and went and bought a peavy vypyr hahaha