Peavey Windsor Problem

KKuff

May 5, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
So yesterday I was playing through my Windsor and I just lost sound, I could hear it fade out quickly, as if I had just switched it to standby. The power light also went out. So I thought maybe I lost power, but I didn't, the power tubes were still lit. I checked the fuse, it wasn't blown. I tried it turning it on again later, and the power light still doesn't come on, but the power tubes are lighting up like normal. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm hoping it's just something that came loose that I can fix myself, but if it's anything complicated I guess I'll have to take it to a shop. Any help would be appreciated.

So yesterday I was playing through my Windsor and I just lost sound, I could hear it fade out quickly, as if I had just switched it to standby. The power light also went out. So I thought maybe I lost power, but I didn't, the power tubes were still lit. I checked the fuse, it wasn't blown. I tried it turning it on again later, and the power light still doesn't come on, but the power tubes are lighting up like normal. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm hoping it's just something that came loose that I can fix myself, but if it's anything complicated I guess I'll have to take it to a shop. Any help would be appreciated.

No idea what it is and I still haven't tried my Windsor due to complications getting my cab. Hope mine isn't fucked. :erk:

Where in WPB do you go to get your amp fixed? That would be useful info.

Good Luck!

Yes, the speaker cable was connected, and I tried a different speaker cable too. If that was the problem, the power light on the front of the amp would still come on, but it doesn't.
SocialNumb - The place I've gone to get my amp fixed over here is called The Amp Shop. It's on Congress between Southern and Forest Hill. It's kind of hard to spot if you don't know where it is. This is their phone number 561-471-9441. By the way, I'm looking to start a new band here, I was the lead guitarist for The Siren, and we just broke up, so if you know anyone in the area that might be interested send me a PM.

Mine got fucked 3 weeks ago, no problems while in standby, but when you try to play, some fucking strange noises, then the fuse broke, replaced it and same shit, so took it to the store where I bought it, now it's being repaired by peavey, of course it's guarantee and has always been used with load...

Fucking want it back!!

You said you checked the fuse, I'm assuming the one on the outside... I've never seen the inside of a Windsor, but it may contain internal fuses. I'd check that first.

You don't have a full schematic for the Windsor by any chance, do you? There could be a few things wrong, but without a schematic I don't want to guess.

Just looked at the schematic. There are like 4 fuses in the Windsor, so check em all out. If one is blown, then obviously something went wrong to cause that. Normal culprit would be a tube that failed. So if you replace a fuse, swap some known working tubes in there before you start her up again.

Also, the panel lamp runs of of the same tap on the transformer that the heaters for the tubes use. Could be something wrong there also.

Another thing- The heater supply looks to be attached to the transformer or transformer wires via spade terminals. They might have come apart causing the issue.

Wolfeman, you're exactly right. I just took it to the shop, and it turned out to be one of the fuses inside blew because of a bad power tube. Honestly I had thought it sounded a little funny before, but I thought that was just how it sounds, but I'm sure once it's fixed it'll sound much better too.

No idea what it is and I still haven't tried my Windsor due to complications getting my cab. Hope mine isn't fucked. :erk:

Where in WPB do you go to get your amp fixed? That would be useful info.

Good Luck!

this isn't exactly WPB, but if youre willing to drive down to fort lauderdale, you can go to MAE. It's right off of 95 and Davie blvd.

Wolfeman, you're exactly right. I just took it to the shop, and it turned out to be one of the fuses inside blew because of a bad power tube. Honestly I had thought it sounded a little funny before, but I thought that was just how it sounds, but I'm sure once it's fixed it'll sound much better too.

Glad to hear. Sucks that you had to take it in for a 50 cent part though....

Yes, the speaker cable was connected, and I tried a different speaker cable too. If that was the problem, the power light on the front of the amp would still come on, but it doesn't.
SocialNumb - The place I've gone to get my amp fixed over here is called The Amp Shop. It's on Congress between Southern and Forest Hill. It's kind of hard to spot if you don't know where it is. This is their phone number 561-471-9441. By the way, I'm looking to start a new band here, I was the lead guitarist for The Siren, and we just broke up, so if you know anyone in the area that might be interested send me a PM.

I can't believe I forgot about that place. Think it was about ten years ago, I found that little spot on accident. A kinda of mom and pop shop. They had some really old school gear on sale but I couldn't afford it. (priced high) That's how it was back then anyways. Thanks dude.

As for musicians, I have no idea! I personally know no one that's into metal or even rock. I do know a bunch of RnB singers and rappers. And a few producers in the same vein. As for me, I don't do metal but I love it.