The ones that come to mind for me right now:

CONCEPTION - FLOW

Enchant - A Blueprint of the World

Symphony X - V

Tom Cochrane and Red Rider

Rush - Power Windows

DT - SFAM

Evergrey - In Search of Truth

Funny this subject came up with some friends of mine while we were at the Poison/Ratt show
Let's see:

Queensryche - Warning/Rage for Order/Operation Mindcrime
Beatles - Abby Roads
Whitesnake - "1987 release" Whitesnake
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Ratt - Invasion of Your Privacy
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Evergrey - Reserection Day/Monday Morning A. (my spelling is off today)
Joi - Star Kitty Revenge (not metal)
Led Zeppelin - just pick one
Aerosmith - Rocks
Guns N' Roses - Appettite for Destruction
Dio - Holy Diver
Black Sabbath with Dio - Just pick one
Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals (don't laugh)
Danzig - I and II
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet (The ringer in the bunch)
Ottmar Liebert - Debut Album
Just to name a few. If I had to pick just one: Operation Mindcrime

Pink Floyd- The Wall, Darkside of the Moon
King Diamond- Abigal, Them, Conspiracy
Queensryche- Rage for Order, Operation Mindcrime
Iron Maiden- Number of the Beast, Peice of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, 7th Son
Slayer- Show No Mercy, Reign in Blood
Metallica- Master of Puppets
U2- Joshua Tree
Kamelot- The Black Halo
Nightwish- Once
Nevermore- Dream Neon Black, Dead Heart in a Dead World
Opeth- Still Life, Black Water Park, Ghost Reveries
Anacrusis- Screams and Whispers
GnR- Appetite for Destruction
Dio- Holy Diver, Last in Line
Twisted Sister- Stay Hungry
Ozzy- Diary of a Madman
Morgana Lefay- Grand Materia
The Beatles- Sgt. Peppers
Prince- Purple Rain

If I could make a list of every thing that's overrated (bands, books, cars, TV shows, movies, super models, etc.) and combine them into one general list of everything that's more overrated than everything else that's overrated, the Beatles would be the most overrated thing, of every overrated thing, in the history of overration (<--- my new word).

Zod

Nothing personal, but this is one of the most uninformed statements I've heard in my entirety of reading this forum.

I suggest that you educate yourself a little further in the genious that was The Beatles, both in writing skills, and in promotional skills. They (and Epstein) single handidly made it possible for rock and roll to be what it is today.

Going with the OP's idea for the thread rather than the "favorite album" strokefest...

It comes down to just two for me:

Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Meshuggah - Catch 33

(I really like how for every time Opeth has been mentioned, everyone has mentioned a different one of their albums)

Nothing personal, but this is one of the most uninformed statements I've heard in my entirety of reading this forum.

I suggest that you educate yourself a little further in the genious that was The Beatles, both in writing skills, and in promotional skills. They (and Epstein) single handidly made it possible for rock and roll to be what it is today.

TFS - I can certainly admire your passion (hey, I'm a big Beatles fan as well), but you're a little off base here. No one is denying the influence The Beatles have had in rock history (fan or not, it can't be denied that their influence has been downright enormous); but I'm pretty sure (without speaking for Zod) that he was merely giving his opinion on the sound of the band's music as his ears hear it and nothing more.

As a parallel - the same type of early rock influence could be said for Elvis Presley; I would never even try to remotely downplay the influence the man has had in the history of rock 'n roll and the entertainment industry in general - but in terms of music, ugh, I could go my entire life without hearing another boring Elvis tune. His music is ridiculously overrated to me personally, but that never makes it a general fact. Millions love his songs and more power to them.

Jason

Perfect albums that I enjoy in their totality without reservations...hmm...

Night Of The Crime by Icon (although I do cheat and pretend the last song doesn't exist...sorry...)
The Wild, Willing & The Innocent by UFO
Awaken The Guardian by Fates Warning
Master Of Puppets by Metallica
Heaven And Hell by Black Sabbath

Mindcrime seems to the the logical choice, but I would throw Empire into the mix as well. To my ears, that album flows very well and provides a singularly enjoyable listening experience overall.

Also, while on the subject of concept albums, Tyranny by Shadow Gallery takes me on a similar journey (with no filler).

Hmm...not going to dilute my choices by delving further...

Interesting thread...kudos!

Rock on!

TFS - I can certainly admire your passion (hey, I'm a big Beatles fan as well), but you're a little off base here. No one is denying the influence The Beatles have had in rock history (fan or not, it can't be denied that their influence has been downright enormous); but I'm pretty sure (without speaking for Zod) that he was merely giving his opinion on the sound of the band's music as his ears hear it and nothing more.

As a parallel - the same type of early rock influence could be said for Elvis Presley; I would never even try to remotely downplay the influence the man has had in the history of rock 'n roll and the entertainment industry in general - but in terms of music, ugh, I could go my entire life without hearing another boring Elvis tune. His music is ridiculously overrated to me personally, but that never makes it a general fact. Millions love his songs and more power to them.

Jason

Well said. However his statement "the Beatles would be the most overrated thing, of every overrated thing, in the history of overration" whether biased or not, shows a lack of understanding, and it's a lack of understanding that unfortunately permeates the new generations. Certainly there are many here that appreciate what the Beatles have meant to "Band" rock and roll, and while not neccesarily running out to the nearest record store to buy the album, they still appreciate it's value.

You said...."As a parallel - the same type of early rock influence could be said for Elvis Presley; I would never even try to remotely downplay the influence the man has had in the history of rock 'n roll and the entertainment industry in general -". That statement I respect, and wouldn't argue with you one iota. In fact it's exactly my point.

Night Of The Crime by Icon (although I do cheat and pretend the last song doesn't exist...sorry...)
The Wild, Willing & The Innocent by UFO

Wow! Icon. Didn't think anybody besides me had heard of them.

The Wild, Willing & The Innocent might be a perfect album for me too. IMO it's probably the best whole album by UFO. They have other albums that have a couple of great songs, but this one is strong all the way through. I'm gonna listen to it right now.

takashi matsumoto - hana
kenso - ken-son-gu-su
tribal tech - reality check
queensryche - operation mindcrime
ayreon - electric castle & human equation

Well said. However his statement "the Beatles would be the most overrated thing, of every overrated thing, in the history of overration" whether biased or not, shows a lack of understanding, and it's a lack of understanding that unfortunately permeates the new generations. Certainly there are many here that appreciate what the Beatles have meant to "Band" rock and roll, and while not neccesarily running out to the nearest record store to buy the album, they still appreciate it's value.

You said...."As a parallel - the same type of early rock influence could be said for Elvis Presley; I would never even try to remotely downplay the influence the man has had in the history of rock 'n roll and the entertainment industry in general -". That statement I respect, and wouldn't argue with you one iota. In fact it's exactly my point.
I think Zod was joking when he made that comment, but who knows for sure. I'm sure he's got a respect for the Beatles, it's just that they are not a personal favorite of his. What say you, Zod?

Britt

Rush - HEMISPHERES
Rush - 2112
Rush - MOVING PICTURES
Rush - GRACE UNDER PRESSURE
Thin Lizzy - THUNDER AND LIGHTNING
Y&T - EARTHSHAKER
Iron Maiden - S/T
Iron Maiden - KILLERS
Iron Maiden - PIECE OF MIND
Iron Maiden - POWERSLAVE
Queensryche - THE WARNING
Queensryche - OPERATION: MINDCRIME
Vicious Rumors - DIGITAL DICTATOR
Yngwie Malmsteen - RISING FORCE
UFO - OBSESSION
Black Sabbath - HEAVEN & HELL
Black Sabbath - MOB RULES
Dio - HOLY DIVER
Dio - LAST IN LINE
Scorpions - TAKEN BY FORCE
Scorpions - LOVEDRIVE
Scorpions - BLACKOUT
Scorpions - SAVAGE AMUSEMENT
Metallica - RIDE THE LIGHTNING
Ozzy Osbourne - DIARY OF A MADMAN
Aerosmith - ROCKS
Led Zeppelin - PHYSICAL GRAFFITI
Riot - FIRE DOWN UNDER
Tygers Of Pan Tang - SPELLBOUND
Ratt - OUT OF THE CELLAR
Evergrey - DOMINANCE SOLITUDE TRAGEDY
Evergrey - IN SEARCH OF TRUTH
Dokken - TOOTH AND NAIL
Dokken - BACK FOR THE ATTACK
Accept - RESTLESS AND WILD
Judas Priest - SIN AFTER SIN
Judas Priest - STAINED CLASS
Judas Priest - HELL BENT FOR LEATHER
Judas Priest - DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH
Joey Tafolla - OUT OF THE SUN
Gary Moore - VICTIMS OF THE FUTURE
MSG - S/T
Tony MacAlpine - MAXIMUM SECURITY
Vinnie Moore - MIND'S EYE
Pantera - I AM THE NIGHT
Dream Theater - WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE
Savatage - HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING
Savatage - GUTTER BALLET
Leatherwolf - STREET READY
Fifth Angel - S/T

Well I could go on and on but that's a good start, I
love a lot of albums :)

For me, I could never put an album like AC-DC's Back In Black on this list. It's a great album, and I like every song on it. However, IMO, it is pretty unimaginative music. I guess it gets into the philosophical discussion of what is art and what makes art good or bad. For me, almost all AC-DC (even though I love it - 'specially Highway to Hell) is just too simple for me to call it perfect.

Yeah but it's A Perfect Simple Minded Metal/Party Album.

What I was thinking of as perfect is, did the artist complete exactly what they set out to do. Thus making The Perfect ________ Album. You fill in the blank. That's why my list is a little longer.

(Plus, yes they are some of my favorites too because they are perfect...:p )

edit: Of course I hadn't seen MysticX9s list yet so I don't feel so bad...:lol:

Queesnsryche - Operation: Mindcrime
BorkNagaR - Archaic Course (I wish this CD would go on forever)
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Edge of Sanity - Crimson (I)
Amorphis - Tales from the 1000 Lakes
MegadetH - Rust in Peace

Mindcrime

Crue - Shout at the Devil
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Iced Earth - SWTWC
QR - Rage for Order
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir

Wow! Icon. Didn't think anybody besides me had heard of them.

The Wild, Willing & The Innocent might be a perfect album for me too. IMO it's probably the best whole album by UFO. They have other albums that have a couple of great songs, but this one is strong all the way through. I'm gonna listen to it right now.

Yeah, Icon...nice contribution from Phoenix to the metal scene...

Glad I could contribute to your Friday night...enjoy the UFO...

Rock on!