Perfect Albums

Hughie Thomasson, or something like that....Passed away last year or the year before if I remember right...They were a GREAT live band, and when they toured with Molly Hatchet, it was one of the best rockin' live shows I have seen....

Been years(decades) since I listened to that record, but the guys in one band wanted to play greengrass and hightides and when learning that I became aware of that one rhythm he had going on and I thought it was pretty slick, his improv was a bit different from your standard rock too, maybe some of the country influence. Then a few years ago I was checking them out on youtube and really got a feel for his playing. Some decent footage there as I recall if anyone interested. I did see them with Skynyrd and forget the third band... maybe Pablos Dog ?.... way back around 77 but remember little, it was lawn "seats" (blankets). They did a totally free concert at Saratoga, must have been 15-20,000 people there.... all three bands for free, just walk in and light up..... lol. I saw Hatchet about 5 years ago. All three were great guitar bands.

This thread has been ruined by people's complete inability to comprehend the word 'perfect'. Here are some ground rules:

1. You can pick no more than 5 perfect albums, and that's pushing it. I would think between 1-3 to be far more reasonable. Music simply does not achieve perfection more often than that.

2. If there is a single track you don't find absolutely outstanding on the disc, it is out of the running.

3. The album has to have been out for at least 5 years, and you have to have listened to it for at least 5 years.

How often does it happen that you pickup a new album and go bananas over how great it is, only to realize after repeated listenings that it is far from as good as you thought it was. In fact, many of those CDs become unlistenable and wind up collecting dust on a shelf. Any album that you have not given a 5 year assessment simply has not withstood the requisite test of time.

4. No two of your selected albums should be too similar.

For example, one should not be able to pickup Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time and Iron Maiden Number of the Beast. These are two similar, so they would be judged on the same standards - ergo if one is perfect the other is by definition not perfect, for if it WERE perfect, it would be the other!

So try running a few lists through that and see if you can come up with your actual perfect albums. That way the thread can be "perfect albums" and not "name the 300 albums you like or happen to be into at the moment".

good god, some people, whos "ruining" what ?

my list remains intact and extensive... in fact I could add to it

Yeah, I don't buy into that criteria at all really. It is true though, some of these lists are a bit excessive, especially when the thread is called "perfect albums" and some posts end with "..except for that one song"

I did that with "American Band" but seriously prior to and excluding that song getting played to death I totally loved that record, side for side, repeatedly. Like I said months ago in this thread. It was perfect for me at that time. Could I pick it apart today because its not "technical", yeah, but what would that say about me ? Something I dont want to be, thats what.

Some people are SUPER critical, I just want music I can dig, if Im diggin it....... life is perfect, music is one of the few things that gives me perfect moments in life so Im not going to pose as the next greatest critic to negate a potentially perfect moment.

This thread has been ruined by people's complete inability to comprehend the word 'perfect'. Here are some ground rules:

1. You can pick no more than 5 perfect albums, and that's pushing it. I would think between 1-3 to be far more reasonable. Music simply does not achieve perfection more often than that.

2. If there is a single track you don't find absolutely outstanding on the disc, it is out of the running.

3. The album has to have been out for at least 5 years, and you have to have listened to it for at least 5 years.

How often does it happen that you pickup a new album and go bananas over how great it is, only to realize after repeated listenings that it is far from as good as you thought it was. In fact, many of those CDs become unlistenable and wind up collecting dust on a shelf. Any album that you have not given a 5 year assessment simply has not withstood the requisite test of time.

4. No two of your selected albums should be too similar.

For example, one should not be able to pickup Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time and Iron Maiden Number of the Beast. These are two similar, so they would be judged on the same standards - ergo if one is perfect the other is by definition not perfect, for if it WERE perfect, it would be the other!

So try running a few lists through that and see if you can come up with your actual perfect albums. That way the thread can be "perfect albums" and not "name the 300 albums you like or happen to be into at the moment".

1) Sticking with Morglbl - Jazz For The Deaf (regardless of your time limit rule)and adding:
Boston - S/T, Mike Keneally - Sluggo!, & Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
(I'm in agreement that more than 5 is really pushing it...)

2) Agreed!

3) Why the time limit? In my case, I'm not too wishy-washy about stuff. If I like it that much now, I'll like it as much 5 or 10 years down the road. Loved AC/DC for example, the first time I saw/heard them (Midnight Special or Rock Concert, can't remember which show), and to this day, there isn't a Bon-era tune I don't like. But note, none are in my perfect album list. Some people call this trait in me "being stubborn" :D

4) I think you're mostly correct here, this "rule" will eliminate fanboi-ism :heh:

1)

3) Why the time limit? In my case, I'm not too wishy-washy about stuff. If I like it that much now, I'll like it as much 5 or 10 years down the road. Loved AC/DC for example, the first time I saw/heard them (Midnight Special or Rock Concert, can't remember which show), and to this day, there isn't a Bon-era tune I don't like. But note, none are in my perfect album list. Some people call this trait in me "being stubborn" :D

I agree with you that there are certainly times you hear an album the first time and feel as strongly about it then as you do on into the future. I've never wavered on how much I love Megadeth's Rust in Peace or Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force. But I think it is far more common that ones initial assessment of an album changes over time. It doesn't necessarily have to be from complete love to complete hate. For example, when I first got Peace Sells I thought it was the best album of all time, now I consider it about average. When I first got Images and Words I thought it was mediocre because I really was not at a point in my understanding of music that I could appreciate it (I had that opinion that it was just a bunch of unrelated parts and difficult time signature for the sake of being difficult). Now I understand it much better and consider it in contention for that illustrious perfect album spot. In the extreme sense, a lot of people who listen just to pop music make every new song their 'favorite' song and then less than a month later, never actively listen to that song/album again.

The point being, you really need some time and perspective to truly decide the quality of an album. Sometimes you come to appreciate one you thought was only mediocre, sometimes you come to dislike one you thought was incredible. And while it does happen that sometimes you end up looking back and saying 'I was always dead on about the quality of album X', you really have no way of distinguishing that one from the ones you will change your opinion on when the requisite amount of time has not elapsed. I remember for a time all I listened to was Rust in Peace and Ride the Lightning, and I felt equally as enthralled with both. Many years later my opinion on Rust has not diminished, but I really don't think of Ride the Lightning as anything special these days. No way at the time I was listening to those two, however, could I have foreseen that happening.

Gotta agree about Boston S/T - that album is simply loaded with quality.

Well, good thing we have the criteria in place. If it weren't for that, some people would incorrectly discuss rock and metal albums on the internet. Someone might list an album as perfect that might not really be "perfect." That would truly be a shame, and possibly have disastrous results.

While the criteria seem a bit interesting, lol, I'll just go ahead and preface my response by saying the following albums I would forever keep as is. And awayyy we go:

Boston - Boston
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Metallica - Master of Puppets
G'n'R - Appetite for Destruction
Dream Theater - Images & Words and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (both discs)

And that's all I got.

Badly Drawn Boy- Hour of Bewilderbeast
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Frank Zappa- Overnite Sensation
David Bowie- Station to Station
Chris Cornell- Euphoria Morning

guess i'm not in a real metal mood right now.

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

I don't know if I mentioned this album here yet, but it truly is perfect, in the genuine sense of the word. Most of the time when we say something is perfect we don't mean it. But every line, every lyric, every melody, every rhythm in this album is just beyond anything any other metal band has ever done. And it's more than that - far from just a lack of flaws. I'm starting to listen to it daily, sometimes twice. It's like an icy, ethereal, gorgeous message from beyond heaven. Every time I listen to one of the tracks, I'm convinced it's my favorite in the album, until the next one comes on. I don't think people understand just how revolutionary the guitar work is on this album in how it interacts with the vocals. In fact, I can't even say 'revolutionary' because it changed nothing and didn't start any trends - there isn't another album like it, because the chemistry between Matheos and Arch was completely irreplaceable, period. It's so hard to listen to anything else after finishing this album, because it's just a disappointment by comparison. These songs could all stand alone as brilliant poems even without musical accompaniment, and as instrumental masterpieces if the vocals disappeared. But when everything is put together - the pensive drumming, the grungy and fickle guitars, and the ghastly vocals, the music creates an other-worldly chill sprinkled with traces of emotions both subtle and bizarre. (No, I am not kidding even in the slightest about any of this)

I think the real reason that Arch quit was because the music the band was making was too good for this world.

Fates Warning-Perfect Symmetry
Anubis Gate-A Perfect Forever
Moraines – The Perfect Pantheon of Absence
Balance of Power-Perfect Balance
Vision Divine-The Perfect Machine
POS-The Perfect Element
Poison-Look What The Cat Dragged In

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

I don't know if I mentioned this album here yet, but it truly is perfect, in the genuine sense of the word. Most of the time when we say something is perfect we don't mean it. But every line, every lyric, every melody, every rhythm in this album is just beyond anything any other metal band has ever done. And it's more than that - far from just a lack of flaws. I'm starting to listen to it daily, sometimes twice. It's like an icy, ethereal, gorgeous message from beyond heaven. Every time I listen to one of the tracks, I'm convinced it's my favorite in the album, until the next one comes on. I don't think people understand just how revolutionary the guitar work is on this album in how it interacts with the vocals. In fact, I can't even say 'revolutionary' because it changed nothing and didn't start any trends - there isn't another album like it, because the chemistry between Matheos and Arch was completely irreplaceable, period. It's so hard to listen to anything else after finishing this album, because it's just a disappointment by comparison. These songs could all stand alone as brilliant poems even without musical accompaniment, and as instrumental masterpieces if the vocals disappeared. But when everything is put together - the pensive drumming, the grungy and fickle guitars, and the ghastly vocals, the music creates an other-worldly chill sprinkled with traces of emotions both subtle and bizarre. (No, I am not kidding even in the slightest about any of this)

I think the real reason that Arch quit was because the music the band was making was too good for this world.

You sound like the reincarnation of my late writting partner, vocalist, bass player and friend.

Myself I can hardly stand to listen to it but it has its moments.

Myself: Disconnected, PSOG