Periphery new songon MetalSucks

lol... that's what ALL of periphery's songs are -- old songs Bulb/Misha wrote as instrumentals with Spencer's vox slapped on top. I doubt we will hear anything really new from them (guitar/music wise) for a long time.

Spencer is a great studio vocalist, imo, but he blows live. Since the majority of their revenue comes from playing live gigs (I'm assuming), I don't know why a band would tolerate anything less than exceptional performances. Bands that can't pull it off live don't seem to last.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Periphery as a band is fucking tight live. They didn't miss a beat or a single note (that I could tell) at the show I saw them at 2 weeks ago. But my goodness... Spencer... tsk tsk.

This band has completely lost me at this point. God only knows how Spencer is still in the band - it's like they want people to hate their music as soon as he opens his mouth or something.

Production is very meh as usual.

This band has completely lost me at this point.

That didn't happen after the debut dropped? Haha.

Similar to Tesseract, I loved both of these bands' demos but not their "professionally recorded" debut albums. Quite baffling as to why, it must be sitting on songs for way way way too long before finishing them.

I agree, though part of it is how Misha programs drums. I don't know a single drummer that actually plays like that, myself included.

IIRC, Matt actually records live drums via an electronic drum kit, so it's an actual performance.

This production sounds like a step-down from the s/t.. it's not as clean

I'm 90% sure everything is just clicked in, with Matt sitting right there. I remember hearing that for the album that Matt and Misha sat there for a couple days just going "more ghost notes there... and there... and there... oh and there..."

IIRC, Matt actually records live drums via an electronic drum kit, so it's an actual performance.

I'm pretty sure they just say that in interviews so they don't come off as douches and alienate potential fans who would crucify them if they knew the drums were 100% programmed. People who don't know about production don't like to hear things like, "oh yea, its all programmed..."

I'm pretty sure they just say that in interviews so they don't come off as douches and alienate potential fans who would crucify them if they knew the drums were 100% programmed. People who don't know about production don't like to hear things like, "oh yea, its all programmed..."

agreed, i mean everybody think back to when you didnt know anything about production and thought every drum recording you heard was what they were playing. No programming, no triggering, no samples, no editing, you thought thats exactly what was recorded with a microphone and thought your drummer was terrible. :bah:

but yeah the drums are almost identical to the demos i don't think they were replayed, they are too similar.

The Periphery album would have been infinitely cooler if they had tracked real drums, in my opinion. I bet Sneap could crank out such a badass Periphery mix, full of vibe...

The vocals are adequately evil for the first 7 seconds, then turn to fucking asschunder after that. This was never a great song to begin with, oh well.

Also, live vocal murder:

http://www.youtube.com/v/f6qIkRMqea4

I sincerely hope bulb releases an instrumental version of the next album and thereafter.