Photo competition

Me and my girlfriend (Fragility) took some pics at stonehenge! We travled a couple of hours especially to take these pics for the competition twice! As the first time we got lost! Haha.

A bit about stonehenge:

It is composed of earthworks surrounding a circular setting of large standing stones and is one of the most famous prehistoric sites in the world. Archaeologists think the standing stones were erected between 2500 BC and 2000 BC although the surrounding circular earth bank and ditch, which constitute the earliest phase of the monument, have been dated to about 3100 BC. The site and its surroundings were added to the UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites in 1986

Interpretations
Many early historians were influenced by supernatural folktales in their explanations. Some legends held that Merlin the wizard had a giant build the structure for him or that he had magically transported it from Mount Killaraus in Ireland, while others held the Devil responsible. Henry of Huntingdon was the first to write of the monument around 1130 soon followed by Geoffrey of Monmouth who was the first to record fanciful associations with King Arthur which led the monument to be incorporated into the wider cycle of European medieval romance.

In 1615, Inigo Jones argued that Stonehenge was a Roman temple, dedicated to Caelus, (a Latin name for the Greek sky-god Ouranos), and built following the Tuscan order. Later commentators maintained that the Danes erected it. Indeed, up until the late nineteenth century, the site was commonly attributed to the Saxons or other relatively recent societies.

The first academic effort to survey and understand the monument was made around 1740 by John Aubrey. He declared Stonehenge the work of Druids. This view was greatly popularized by William Stukeley. Aubrey also contributed the first measured drawings of the site, which permitted greater analysis of its form and significance. From this work, he was able to demonstrate an astronomical or calendrical role in the stones' placement.

By the turn of the nineteenth century, John Lubbock was able to attribute the site to the Bronze Age based on the bronze objects found in the nearby barrows.

Overall though, no one really knows who, what, why or how they got there!

RIGHT PICTURE TIME!

Stonehenge Overview
http://community.webshots.com/photo/551864197/2306854320093738183jMLLUO

Me with ASU T-shirt and CD
http://community.webshots.com/photo/551864197/2953131920093738183FwdHhS

My girlfriend (fragility) and CD
http://community.webshots.com/photo/551864197/2403940760093738183JKxyeu

CD on the ancient grounds oooohh
http://community.webshots.com/photo/551864197/2307164810093738183AAwUUi

Whew

hmm, they should be there, i can see them ive hosted them via "webshots". Ill try to rectify the problem

EDIT:
Hmm for some reason it doesnt like me direct linking the pictures (even though i could see them via my cpu :S), so ive just posted the links to them individually. Hopefully its fine now.

Has anyone ever tried .. pushing that down? I mean I know it'd be extremely hard but I would think some dumbass would have held the place hostage with a tractor or something by now.

*giggles*

Actually, we got so lost the first time that we went to go to Stonehenge and ended up having a drink in Canada.....there is apparently a very small village in the south of England called Canada.

Hey Asgeir, is this comp still going? I live in Australia and I'm waiting for my copy of 'A Sceptic's Universe' (should be here in less than a week). I could take one of me with it in the famous Australian outback... with a Kangaroo maybe...

The comp is still going. I recently found some old T-shirts which we only printed 100 of so the best 3 pictures will get this extremely hard to find item. The print is absolutely horrible but the shirt IS a collector's item. I also found some old demos but I don't know how many I have left so I'll have to see if I throw some in the prize pool. Keep the photos coming!

- Asgeir

Is the CD still available? I got my hand on the Twisted Into Form's one, but the seller didn't find A sceptic Universe or your band in his list and wasn't able to import it... I would love to buy the CD, but I don't know where or how to get it! :Smug: Huh, I'm not sure where there would be a cool place to take a pic where I live (Québec), but I'll try! If I get my hand on the CD, that is. :lol:

Is the CD still available? I got my hand on the Twisted Into Form's one, but the seller didn't find A sceptic Universe or your band in his list and wasn't able to import it... I would love to buy the CD, but I don't know where or how to get it! :Smug: Huh, I'm not sure where there would be a cool place to take a pic where I live (Québec), but I'll try! If I get my hand on the CD, that is. :lol:

You can buy it directly from The Laser's Edge (The Laser's Edge, LLC)

I don't have a credit card yet... :err: But thx for the link, I'll buy it that way then.