Piano Reamping!

.. thats not how it works.
Are you a piano player? If not, you just wont understand it.
Comparing a piano to a midi-keyboard is impossible, and a piano reacts to more then how hard and fast you hit the keys etc.

Its the same thing as to saying that you could send a midi file with guitar tracks to the same company, and let their robot play the guitar.. because the midi has 99% of your dynamics and timing.. right?

If you want to compare using something like this for reamping, it would rather be like tracking the movement of each individual part inside of the piano, then you send those "tracks" to a company which has a better sounding piano where they have a machine that allows every single part of the pianos mechanic to move exactly the same as it did when you first recorded it.
You are just not understanding how f*cking complicated a piano really is, and how that affects the players dynamics.

Even if you never have played the keys ever before in your life, i promise you that you will feel a DRASTIC difference between the most advanced hammer weighted midi-keyboard and a real grand piano... il just repost!

I don't understand the whole point of this ? Could you explain it a bit more ?

I mean, for me, knowing how the inside parts move is not the point. I know you work on pianos all day and you know its complexity, but the deal is not here. I understand that you feel differences between a master keyboard and a real piano. Here, the deal is to recreate that slight part that is not predictible nor mathematized (the inside movements) and send to you the result of your performance on a real piano which parts react real to your input. Knowing your performance will not be the same on a real piano as on the one you have in your studio is not the point. Same goes to any vst, it's "of course" a replacement solution to a real instrument played by a real studio musician.

The only thing, is that there are intermediates between your performance and the end result (the robot input is an image of your input). But in the end, I understand Ermz in his point of view because I think it sounds better than any VST (I still think Vienna's steinway sounds hell good). There are still some robot reacting, but it gains on other aspects : acoustic that doesn't react mathematically, etc.

But why ? When you hear a VST, it often sounds good but it would fail in expressing the complexity of such an instrument. Have you ever used a Guitar VST ? When you play 2 notes at the same time, especially with disto, it sounds like the two sounds added. Now take your own guitar, play the same 2 notes at the same time, and a lot of frequencies will fight, and in the end, it's not the same result at all ,and I mean it, at all. And I feel this for piano VSTs, even if I'm not an expert in piano playing. I think their idea is good, it's aimed at people not able to have a real piano and wanting it sound as real as possible, and I don't really think a VST excepted maybe the best would do the job they are aiming at. They offer the complexity in the sound by experience rather than calculus, that any VST ever achieved (I still think Pianoteq's goal interesting, even if for the moment it sounds still too plastic for me).

Also, it's not too difficult to apply to piano. May it be complex in itself, but the actual process of creating a note is reduced to its more simple form : hitting a key, so it's easy to create. So they had the good idea to apply the concept of robot piano reading special charts to a robot piano reading midi files.

I would still, if needed, take time to listen the difference between this and the best vst pianos because of the price, of course.

What do you think ?

Don't spose any of you actually listened to the clips then?

I felt that the "player's position" to be the most balanced one for the type of pianos I would include in projects.

The only thing that I feel is a little weird, is the way it releases notes before hitting it again. Maybe I'm getting paranoïac trying to find where the robot fails.