Pick one band and say what you think they're OVERRATED

Swans is actually pretty overrated as far as bands go, but I love them anyway because their best music is pretty strong and unique. They were pretty influential on a number of bands too.

Dead Can Dance is definitely overrated, although their first album is a favorite of mine and different from their later discography. I like their other music, but people put it on a pedestal when it's actually fairly basic.

Venom. A footnote in the history of metal that never released anything of intrinsic value.
Yeah no it's true. And coming from a black metal fan I see.
There are bands I tried really hard to get into, like, listen and listen to again looking for the faintest evidence of genuine quality, even something I can half appreciate for its true value, something, anything.... Venom were just a band as original for the time as they were useless musically. Some bands get so lucky. They come around at the right time with an idea for music that's barely at its embryonic stage, hardly coherent yet, but deemed a classic because they somehow pioneered a subgenre by accident or contributed to it at least conceptually.

It's more the harsh vocals, the presence and imagery on stage, the intentionally disgusting sound, the lyrics album covers etc... but you take the riffs or musical ideas one at a time and it's negligible at best.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd