What band do you think only gets BETTER

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Here's one for ya:

Lately I've been thinking how a lot of my favorite bands put out absolute masterpieces the first few albums and then over the years become mediocre to absolute shit. Here are a couple examples:

KISS
Metallica - I only recently became strong enough to admit that they suck after Justice. my opinion
Iron Maiden - I know I'll raise some eyebrows here, but I just don't think any album after Powerslave is 100% playable from start to finish....

So the ONE band I can think of that just gets better and better with each release?

JUDAS PRIEST

I am even counting the Ripper albums because I thought they slammed. I know the new release will rule. But come on...they didn't stop at British Steel! They keep getting better and better even though they get older and older.

This is just my opinion...I thought it'd be fun to hear your thoughts

Metallica should have enough sense to get back into the studio & grab the masters & fix the horrid drum sound & pump the bass. Until they do that that disc will be coaster for my coffee cup.
I have to admit, I like the Priest Jugulator record, even if it's a bit on the cheesy end, Demolition is so sterile & Glenn took control of the wheel & slammed into the wall, Neckcar style. And who got blamed? The singer?! The guy didn't write a note of the record. I think the only thing that good about Demolition is that it lead to a DVD with Tim Owens & the bonus tracks on the import versions...
You know what band gets better with time?
Van Halen, as long as Hagar is "in." If it's that skrunken head one trick pony DLR, they lose their credibility. They become a glammy watered down oldies act...
I have said this before, KISS hasn't been good since their Revenge record, what a line up they had & what a record! Before that it would have been Creatures of the Night.
The 80's stuff you could compile all the records & make one "good" 10 track disc.
The jury is still out on Motley Crue, who I think can come up with one hell of a record if they do record. I think the Swine record was just filler & Tattoo, had potential, but fell way short.
An artists that get better with time?
Ronnie James Dio...
Motorhead...
And after a few bumps in the road...
Alice Cooper...
Megadeth...
There's a few more, but I just can't think of them...

Saxon, Motorhead, Death Angel, Wolf, Skyclad, Amorphis to name a few. I don't know how many of those will continue to get better each year, but for me a clear examples of bands going forward always.

Opeth, Anthama & Katatonia have all continued to release records better than the previous albums.

Priest, although a great band, has always released inconsistent albums.
Maiden lost it after 7th Son (only to regain it years later).
Dio lost it when he released "Lock Up the Wolves". Luckily, his 90s records began a slow rise back to credibility.

No band ONLY gets better. That doesnt mean that they are not good. Old bands (Iron maiden, J.Priest, Motorhead, Metallica, Saxon etc) will never release something as good as their 80s albums, so .. they wont get .. "better". This "rule" is for every "old" band. Its very difficult to find a band that released its best album after 10-15 years of career. Maybe only Judas Priest (for the ones that think "Painkiller" is their best).

Yes but they too never released something as good as their old albums (Guardians Of The Flame, Noble Savage, Age Of Constent), and "House Of Atreus 2" was not as good as the first part (which was great but not as good as "Invictus", etc etc). This topic sucks, it works only for bands that have 2-3 albums and they are moving on. Great standard metal legends fail to be in the category that the topic requests. Their acme is in the past.

Igor_Cavalera said:
I agree :D :headbang:
Also throw in Tad Morose. :) I can't think of any others right now.
And I agree on Tad Morose. They are getting better.

Another band who belongs in this tread is Morgana La Fay. Their latest album S.O.S. [2000] is great and I am eagerly awaiting their new release slated for 2005.

Just a tip Igor, I see you have not mentioned Zero Hour and Nevermore. I do not know if you ever heard them but if you don't know them give them a shot!

I higly recommend them.

You can download a full 8 minute song from Zero Hour's last album "The Towers of Avarice" here:

http://www.zerohourweb.com/audio/Zero%20Hour-Stratagem-full.mp3

Enjoy buddy! :wave:

I've heard a little bit of Nevermore and have been meaning to check out more from them, so I can't really comment on them yet, but I like what I've heard.
I've never heard Zero Hour. I'll have a listen to that song :D
Thanks Hawk.

Saxon, Wolf, Amon Amarth, and Skyclad are bands in my oppinion which move forward with nearly every release, can't think of any more at the moment though.

WIntersReflection said:
:High fives Igor: Yeahhh!

And add Savatage to that group.
I disagree strongly about Savatage.
This is of course my personal opinion but they have gone
from very bad to even worse.

In fact I think that their best albums were 'Sirens", "The Dunageon are Calling" [Not really a full album at the time of its release] and "Power of the Night".

"Fight for the Rock" is awefull, "Hall of the Mountain King" is a good album as is "Gutter Ballet". Then their rock opera obssesion began with "Streets" an album I once got for my birthday. I hate that album; its weak to say the least. "Edge of Thorns" was an improvement is good but not great.

"Handfull of Rain" is fantastic however. I think its as good as their first 3 releases. After hearing "Dead Winter dead" and the albums that followed it I have giving up on them.

I think they are the most overrated band on the metal scene these days. Not in the last place because of Jon Oliva's godawefull "vocals" and his cheesy songwriting.

I'd much rather hear Dani Filth's screeching at full volume without interuption for 36 hours that one minute of Jon Oliva's so called "singing".

Pew! That has turned into a nice little rant, if I say so myself. o_O I am kinda surprised about it. I have been respectfully stepping aside too much when the subject turned to Savatage and people were exclaiming how it was one of the best metal bands ever :err:.
Believe me, now and then you have to kick ass and blow off steam. :headbang:

It was not directed at you WintersReflection. Even when you try and look objectively at their releases you must admit that Savatage has been producing albums of very varied quality the last years.

Well.. how does it feel to get that off your chest Hawk? Hehehe.

I've listened to that Zero Hour song. Reminds me of Symphony X minus the orchestral stuff. I like it. Can you recommend me an album? :D

And what about RAGE?
I can't believe no one mentioned these guys! :worship:

Their latest offering, Soundchaser, is easily their best or at least sitting very near the top of their catalogue. Also, they represent a band who constantly changes (especially with the lineup changes), but always keeps something of it's own and never gives in to any trends.

I think KISS started great then went on a little bit of a decline, then from 1982 did a big turn around and were better than EVER and then just got even better and better until about 1990. Then started declining bit by bit again.

Igor_Cavalera said:
Well.. how does it feel to get that off your chest Hawk? Hehehe.

I've listened to that Zero Hour song. Reminds me of Symphony X minus the orchestral stuff. I like it. Can you recommend me an album? :D
"The Tower of Avarice". A fantastic if challenging album. As you heard very technical with dense structures. It might be hard to get into but its worth the effort, believe me.

I have a huge respect a any band that has the guts to be so original and complex. I am hoping that Glenn will program them on PPVI. Maybe we can meet next year while headbanging to Zero hour on the frontrow!! :headbang:

Check out their forum here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=100&f=223

And their homepage here:

http://www.zerohourweb.com/