Planning the ULTIMATE DI shootout, need loans hehehe

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, I'm planning the ultimate shootout of DI boxes, just so I can be sure - all this talk of impedance and numbers really doesn't mean dick to me (especially after post #306 in the Preparing Your Tracks for Reamping thread), so I figured I'd just find out for myself. Of course, one needs to be in possession of DI boxes to test 'em - but that's where you guys come in! :D More on that in a moment, but first, here's my list:

Redeye DI (own it)
Countryman Type 85 (just bought one on ebay for $120 shipped, but I have every intention of selling it after this is over)
Radial J48
Radial JDI
Samson S Direct
Whirlwind IMP 2

So, what I'm driving at is - if anyone (ideally in the US) owns any of the 4 boxes on the bottom and would be willing to ship one to me for the sake of this comparison, it'd make my life much easier! You guys know how much my rep on this forum means to me, so I promise I'll treat your stuff with the utmost care, and since I'll just record two takes of one riff with it, I'll be able to send it back the day after I get it (you pay to ship it to me, I pay to ship it back to you).

AND, if I can get someone to do the same with a Cuniberti Reamp, I can do a re-amping shootout between that and a Redeye! So consider the invitation extended folks, and know that you'll be contributing to one seriously epic showdown!

I actually have an IMP-2 sitting here I can contribute to the test. Would like it back as I do use it occasionally :)

And since you want to do a reamp unit shootout as well, I can loan my ProRMP to ya. That is, of course, if you wanted that included. I'd actually be interested in seeing how it stacks up.

~006

Sounds great Mike, both would be awesome! I'll let you know when to send 'em, I'll try to get everytang in as tight a schedule as possible

Damian, I don't, unfortunately, I'm an active guy through and through. Of course, if someone wanted to loan me their passive-equipped guitar... :D

And non-US folks, even if you can't contribute your gear, feel free to bump this thread with the occasional "HUZZAH!" as I should think this would be of great interest :)

Well, I'm a state-side guy but have nothing to offer for this test. Best I can do? And I quote...

"Hump de bump."

Thanks again Marcus for the great contribution! Looking forward to the results.

Alright, just got a J48 for a great price and am now out of money :D Still would like a JDI and an S-direct, and also a BSS AR-133 if possible!

good luck with that !! I am waiting for your results to see if I throw my S-direct to buy a Type 45! By the way a new Countryman in europe is aroung 280 USD, so I might interested to buy it from you :)

Hope you're able to get everything you need, I'm very interested in what results you get!

As a new owner of a Redeye (and as yet, still untested.....) I'd love to hear how it stacks up.

J48 arrived today, man this thing is built solid, goddamn! So now I've got me a Redeye, J48, Countryman Type 85 - if anyone has a Samson S-Direct and/or BSS AR-133 they'd be willing to loan for the sake of this test (see details above), that'd rule! Same goes with a Radial X-amp + Cuniberti Reamp for a re-amper shootout as well...

I have no clue how much the s direct costs, but he just bought a countryman and j48 for this shootout iirc. Give him a break, no?

Haha, thank you Damian - and Mark, I could, but the main issue is resale value, cuz no way am I holding on to it after the test

Just finished tracking with the Countryman and J48 - would still love an S-direct and BSS AR-133! And an X-amp too, for the re-amping portion

OR, like in the Nebula thread, people could donate a grand total of $30 for me to buy an S-direct for the sake of this test... ;) (only half kidding on that one!) MetalMGH - at - hotmail - dot - com is the address if anyone wants to chip in like $5!