Heavy-hitter DI shootout! Also, my best Recto tone yet!

Super late to the party, but I just read the OP and listened to the clips and am surprised to have a clear preference for A in the passives. It's A then C, with B a distant 3rd. That said, I can't be sure that it's not a little signal hyping on A that I'm preferring... like a little boost. A and C are similar in a lot of ways, and C may be more legitimately representative of what's actually coming into the DAW.

For that matter... B could be the most legit, and both A and C could be hyped. But it's the kind of thing where I'd skip my whole "philosophy" of recording what's actually there, because A and C sound just plain old better to me. :p

Would it matter in a mix? I think it might.

But then, on the EMGs, I don't hear as much of a meaningful difference at all. In fact, I might even PREFER B, though they're so very close...

Great little experiment. I love this sort of stuff.

Is anyone else having trouble downloading any of the files? Are they still available? I visit the links, tried several browsers, and no download occurs. I also click "Save As" on the links and get archive errors when I try to open.

I'd like to upgrade since my guitar tone is not 100% with my current Radial J48 to JCR setup. Passive guitars. I record a DI with my J48 and at the same time, using the thru feature, record my amp miced up with a SM57. When I reamp however I notice some of the low and high end are lost compared to the recorded thru signal which is as good as me plugging directly into my amp and micing. It doesn't sound bad on my Schecter, maybe 90%, but my Gibson loses a lot of tone.

Passive reamper = loss of lows (just by transformer nature itself), loss of highs can be due to 220k input impedance of J48...

:zombie:necrobump!:zombie:
highly unlikely but...any chance anyone has these files at all?
trying to educate myself properly on the differences between these DI boxes & passive/active signals and how to best prepare myself for some upcoming recording. This experiment is exactly what i need ha.