Heavy-hitter DI shootout! Also, my best Recto tone yet!

Happy happy joy joy... I bought a Countryman for our album recordings last year because I read that "preparing for reamping" thread, and we use passive Duncans in all our guitars.
This backs up my decision.

Thanks alot for the shootout!

Marcus, try running whatever passive Reamp units you get your hands on in reverse as a DI and see how it fairs! Maybe every passive Reamp unit is a DI and Reamp box all in one ;)

Haha, will do! And I tried to play the parts as similarly as possible, and I think the most important way to compare the clips is to listen to one for almost the whole duration of the clip, then switch to the other, so you can compare the overall differences in tone, rather than jumping between the same riff on each, which is a lot more microscopic and thus would make the performance differences more apparent (in other words, listen for the overall effect the DI has).

Fifth Horseman, no prob. man!

Yeah, my friend has that monstrous Radial box that does everything including signal splitting and some crazy routing. Cost him near $900. Don't think he's ever used it. :ill:

EDIT: Just read the 'preparing your tracks for reamping' thread. I used that fucking ART DI in reverse to reamp some guitars at a local studio :lol:. For some reason it isolated some ridiculous ground noise the studio had MUCH better than the Red Eye. To this day I still don't understand what happened.

Just tried the Reamp V2 as a DI box, and it seemed to work ok, though I think the level was lower than what was coming out of the Redeye (I say "I think" because I don't have a male-male XLR so I had to use a male XLR - male TRS into one of the line-in's on the Onyx, which go from -20 to 40 dB, rather than 0 to 60 on the XLR inputs). If I had a male-male cable I'd do a comparison between the Redeye and Reamp as DI's, but a) I won't be able to get one any time soon (I gotta send the Reamp back to GuitargodGT) and b) the Redeye has the essential DI feature of an "inst. thru" output, so it's the better option for that purpose anyway (though we'll see whether it's as good as the reamp for re-amping!). So yes, the Reamp can be used in reverse as a passive DI, but no, I don't (and won't) know how well :D

Hey Marcus, you should try to enter this shootout contest (yes, a shootout contest) over at recordingreview.com.

There's still plenty of time left and I think many people will be interested in a reamp box shootout (including me). You might win that copy of Superior 2.0 or one of the runner-up prizes (SPL Transient Designer Plug-in). If you're going to do the shootout anyways, you might as well. I'm actually considering entering this contest too.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up dude! I doubt I'll win, but it's worth a try! (what a picky bitch that guy is with the rules though, jeebus :rolleyes: )

Haha, no prob. Bernhard - yeah, being the gear-nut that I am, the Equipment section is by far the one I scope the most (not to say I don't check 'em all, of course), and I wanted to get some cheap ones in on the test, but, well, money :D

Interesting little twist/note here that I just learned.

When you recorded the DIs did you have the Thru plugged into your amp as well?

Thru affects impedance, which affects tone. For example, theoretically, the best DI is one that has an input impedance that is the exact same as the input impedance of the amp you will be reamping through. You may notice the Countryman has an input impedance on 10 Megaohms. This is 10 times or more greater than the input impedance of a guitar amp. The input impedance DOES affect the pickups on your guitar (though passive pups are much more problematic in this regard). Impedance is a huge reason why people like a certain guitar/pickup combo with a certain amp. Anyway, the reason the Countryman has such a high impedance is because when you hook up the Thru to your amp, the Countryman is theoretically "not there" electronically. You get the usual effect on your pickups b/c you have the amp hooked up in parallel, so your guitar sounds the same. If you don't use the Thru, you're going to get a different sound, as you're plugging into a sort of source that you don't really ever plug a guitar into (10 Megaohms).

Just food for thought.

Thanks for great shootout! :kickass:
I have a question. I've just ordered Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and this interface has 2 instrument inputs... so... should I buy external DI box (Countryman Type 85 for example) or these Saffire's instrument inputs would be perfect for recording DI guitars?? I know these are for recording direct singals but would there be better quality if I buy Countryman and record through it?
Sorry for such a n00b question :loco:

I can't be certain cuz I don't know how good the inst. in's on the Focusrite are, but my guess is the Countryman would still be an improvement :)

Thanks for great shootout! :kickass:
I have a question. I've just ordered Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and this interface has 2 instrument inputs... so... should I buy external DI box (Countryman Type 85 for example) or these Saffire's instrument inputs would be perfect for recording DI guitars?? I know these are for recording direct singals but would there be better quality if I buy Countryman and record through it?
Sorry for such a n00b question :loco:

Same here, mine arrives tommorow :Smokin:

Im still gonna buy a Red Eye which is what ill probs end up using all the time. The pads on the Saffire are only -9db, I dunno if thats really enough.

shit man, I didn't know about this one, we could have talked about it on the show.

I don't even know if I need another DI. I've got the 2 in the Profire 2626, a generic (whirlwind clone) for my space echo, and a Sansamp BDDI.

I can't tell a difference between the Profire and the Sansamp bypassed on guitar. But I don't re-amp, I don't have a tube screamer and I don't have a tube amp.

I used my BDDI one time and somebody commented that the quality of the DI was poor. Think it might have been Cobhc.

Oh and the pads on the Saffire seem to work just fine :)

i used the Countryman type 85 for years.... 4 or 5 years ago though i bouth the Radial JDV mk3 and been using that since... and love it. forget how much it was, but it was still quite expensive even with my Radial deal.