POLL: The Best Vocal Performance at PPVII

Who gave the overall best vocal performance at PP VII?

• Matt Smith (Theocracy)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mike Eriksen (Circus Maximus)

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Wade Black (Leatherwolf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Lance King (Pyramaze)

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Jens Carlsson (Savage Circus)

• Mattias IA Ekhlund (Freak Kitchen)

• Mikkel Sandager (Mercenary)

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Tom Englund (Evergrey)

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Erik Rosvold (Zero Hour)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Michele Luppi (Vision Divine)

Votes: 64 30.3%
  • Pasi Rantanen (Thunderstone)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Simone Simons (Epica)

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • Jorn Lande (Jorn Lande & The Solo Playing Band)

Votes: 22 10.4%

• Total voters
DarkOne said:
Hey Lance. I was waiting for you or Mike E to show up on this thread! :)

You're right that there were tons of great singers this year (and every year). I realize that no one likes to see themselves trailing in the polls, but it is a good thing to track the mob mentality, right? I'm curious who you voted for. I like to get a range of perspective, from musicians to pure fans.

Oh, yes, I know I screwed up the name of ZH's vocalist. Blame that one on me!

Steve in Philly

Jorn, it's always Jorn, the man has so much soul and passion in his voice,
he's my fav!:headbang:

Andy Laudano said:
Ah, newbies! Gotta love'em. If you wanna have any credibility at all you gotta pick someone else to slam other than legends like Dio and Joe Lynn Turner! Otherwise it's back to music appreciation and metal history 101. Without bands like Dio and Rainbow there never would have been any power metal.

I can undestand someone who just does't like Jorn's voice or his style of singing. But when someone says he doesn't even belong at a ProgPower fest, they're only showing their own ignorance. All power metal does not have to sound like Helloween!

:headbang: Agreed!

I am very satisfied that Luppi has beat the crap out of everyone else in this poll...and that Jorn is 4th...right where he should be.

i have hred alot of talk about this jorn and a cetan dio
i didnt get to seee jorn im sure it was great but it seems to me that there are alot of bands in this genera let alone onse that were at this shoew that in one way or another ow somthing to dio dikerson and the dude frome judas priest whats his name
those guys pionierd that sound
that slike saying my friend who does karaty ows somthing to bruce lee or is mocking his whatever
but every modern matial artes in one way another ows somthing to him
expecaly if your white and study
realize that there is an evelution to musik and its not riping somone off or what ever yall are saying about bands its music being influinced right
:headbang:

Agreed about the diversity of acts, Andy - it's a good thing. In fact, I wish it were a MORE diverse festival, instead of relatively power metal-centered. Of course, that's what brings in the cash. But for a festival to be billed as a metal festival and have a HEADLINER than isn't really a metal artist...just seems a bit off base. I'm in the minority on this one, and I'm not surprised. I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s HATING glam hard rock (falsely identified with real metal) and everything associated with it, and that explains both why I'm in the minority on this issue AND why I feel the way I do.

Andy Laudano said:
I realize how Jorn's set was a bit disappointing for hardcore ARK fans. I don't expect all of them to enjoy the direction he's chosen to take his career. But dismissing what he does as as "regressive" and a "nostalgia trip" is a bit much. Why does something that has an older feel or sound have to be regressive or considered a step backwards?

I get those words from the content of the interview he gave in the ProgPower program. Read it and you'll see he wants to head toward a comfort zone where he can emulate Whitesnake.

a great song is a great song no matter what year it came out!

Totally agreed (my favorite band is old Genesis, 1969-1976), though 'great' is always a matter of taste. What ISN'T great for sure is trying to live in the past, especially when you certainly don't have the genius of your idols. Just look at any aphorism about immitation.
lmjh

llorenth said:
I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s HATING glam hard rock (falsely identified with real metal) and everything associated with it, and that explains both why I'm in the minority on this issue AND why I feel the way I do. lmjh

Which makes perfect sense as to why you're not a big power metal fan. If you look at a power metal family tree, you'll likely find a bunch of bands you hated in the 80's. Power metal is the next evolutionary step from the hard rock/heavy metal bands of the 80's. It also makes perfect sense that as a prog fan with a Pain of Salvation sig, you'd be a fan of old Genesis, a great example of early prog and a large branch on the progressive rock/metal family tree.

As for the Jorn interview, like I mentioned in an earlier post, he said when he was younger he tried a bunch of different styles until he figured out what he felt works best for him. Every singer goes through that. Of course he wants to find his comfort zone, that's where many artists do their best work. He never said "I want to sound like Whitesnake." He can't help it that his voice sounds very similar to David Coverdale, that's just his voice. You either like it or you dont.

livingwithwolves said:
In my opinion Jorn is better than Coverdale AND Dio. :)

that's a dangerous statement! :heh:

But I'd even agree.
Only thing I'm wondering about is: why the hell does he try so hard to be just like them?
While we want him to be Jorn, and Jorn only... :)

rockyracoon said:
I, too, would love an explanation for this. What's your knock on Michele Luppi?

Well, currently, Urban is without Internet access, so I will attempt to share with you what he has told me. :)

He's not "knocking" the guy... he made *one* comment about the guy being off-key *one* time. :rolleyes: Actually, he thinks Luppi has a good voice and "raw talent." However, Urban said Luppi was off about "15 cents" much of the night (where half a step = 50 cents). Me, I don't notice this (yay for me! :p). Urban, OTOH, is not only a trained vocalist but also trained as a sound engineer, and I guess his ears are just more sensitive in general. Of course, the singer Urban usually is most critical of is himself, so for those to whom his criticisms of others sound arrogant, I assure you that's not really the case.

So for what it's worth, there are Urban's thoughts on the matter (I think I got it right, anyway :)). Personally, I thought Luppi was fabulous, which is why I insisted Urban explain in more detail to me his criticism of the guy. :) It's just a different opinion. *shrug*

Shaye

Flavio CotM said:
Circle ll Circle on handfull of rain was for me huge kick in the ass!!!!

OMG I had CHILLS when Zak sang that one! The sound and mix was absolutely crystal clear and I don't think Zak has ever sounded better! That's actually one of my favorite Savatage songs that up to that point I'd never got to hear him sing live. I remember "Doc Killdrums" telling me at PPV that was one of the songs they'd practiced and planned to do until Zak got hurt. I'm so glad I finally got to hear him do that one.

There's SO much to reply to in this post I'll just start at the top and work my way down.

1) It takes a lot more than technical brilliance and all the latest toys to make a great guitarist. Jimi Hendrix played with a passion and feeling that put him in a legendary class all by himself. He redefined what could be done with a guitar and if not for his untimely death, I'm sure he would have continued to do so. There's no doubt the guitarists you mentioned are incredibly talented. But saying they are "better" than Hendrix is like comparing apples to oranges. Who knows what Hendrix could've accomplished with today's technology or after having been exposed some of today's guitarists. In the end it's a safe bet 100 years from now, people will know who Jimi Hendrix was. The jury's still out as to whether or not anyone will remember a Romeo or Petrucci.

I agree it takes more than technical brilliance to be a great guitarrist..but just like one with ONLY technical brilliance without much abillity to know how to get an emotional reaction out of a listener, it's also the same with someone whose mostly about feeling but not about technical excellence. A great/excellent guitarrist, or artist for that matter, will master and use both. Kiko Loureiro I think is an example of that as are the players in Circus Maximus as well as many other great bands.

And if Hendrix needed to get better technical excellence from other bands and players, that just shows what I said was true, that there are many other better guitar players that incorporate more and excell in more than did Hendrix. He was good for his time and his playing still impacts us today.

"gritty, non-versitile, repetetive, lackluster singing that reflects more of a grunt, growl or talking voice" Have you ever listened to Ronnie James Dio or Joe Lynn Turner? Find me a song where JLT "grunts" or Dio "growls." These are two world class SINGERS, clean and soaring vocals is what they do. Excellence and Timeless Quality is what most metal/hard rock fans think of when they think of Dio or JLT.

Theyre both good singers, but theyre not my favorites..and I think they sound dated. Much of what Ive heard with DIO is gritty so I still dont care for that. I was just saying that either one talks, grunts, growls, OR sings. Theyre different. Dio doesnt growl or anything, hes gritty though in alot of stuff Ive heard at least. Joe Lyn Turner does a cleaner act, but uses a lower register than most Id choose to listen to. He has that "Im cool, got shades baby, and Im VERY masculine" sound..eh. When a voice has high range, is clean, middle register and up is when I think it sounds least like talking, least like grunting, or grittyness than any other thing a person can do with their voice..IE its most like distinct singing..to have control over it in those ways, and use it with seeming ease, I think that takes high skill.

I'm also guessing we both read differant interviews in the program with Jorn. Nowhere did I read that he was "intentionally lowering the quality of his voice and singing." In my book it said that in the begining of his career, he basically tried a bunch of different things and styles of singing until he found what worked best for him. Now he's developed his own style and identity and is comfortable with what he does.

He said that he's lowering the quality of his singing and music...In both books, yours and mine. It said the same thing man. And is choosing to not do powermetal or experimentation any more..Hence wants to do a signature, predicable, product that appeals to the masses..I'm sorry youre in denial:)

I've stated before that Jorn's set was not "progressive". But this festival is ProgPOWER and what I saw definately falls under the power metal catagory. Obviously we have very differant ideas of what power metal is. To me power metal is simply that, powerful metal. Powerful vocals, powerful guitars, powerful music. It's the next evolutionary step of the hard rock/heavy metal of the 80's. You can't tell me Jorn Viggo and Tore were not powerful guitarists. You can't tell me Jorn does not have a powerful voice. We're just gonna have to disagree on this one.

Dood both Jorn and Glenn has stated to confirm, hes not doing anymore PowerMetal, and I think to anyone who saw his perfomance that that was pretty aparent..anything that even remotely bore some resemblance to powermetal, he defanged it of its power-metaliness (if thats a word..if not its my word and Im copyrighting it so dont use it unless you wanna pay me for it:) by using the same style, lower register, notes and dulled down/delvaued rock singing for pratically every song, which he was intentionally doing to distnace himself from being considered power metal. Just because a person has DONE power metal, doesnt mean what they now choose to do is also power metal.

Helloween is one of the greatest power metal bands of all time and they redefined the genre with the amazing Keepers 1 & 2 albums. 99% of all power metal bands owe something to them - but all power metal does not have to sound exactly like them! Power metal is not all dungeons and dragons and every other cheesey steriotype associated with it. It's that and SO much more.

I totally agree. They redefined heavy metal. I agree they dont have to sound just like them, but one needs to first define power metal before one says what band can even be considered power metal..are the backstreet boys power metal? Are the Rolling Stones or Whitesnake power metal? Id think not..if thats the case, and most if not all of what Jorn did live sounded like the latter (thankfully not the former) which is rock n roll, or classic rock sound, why call it power metal?