POLL: The Best Vocal Performance at PPVII

Who gave the overall best vocal performance at PP VII?

• Matt Smith (Theocracy)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mike Eriksen (Circus Maximus)

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Wade Black (Leatherwolf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Lance King (Pyramaze)

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Jens Carlsson (Savage Circus)

• Mattias IA Ekhlund (Freak Kitchen)

• Mikkel Sandager (Mercenary)

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Tom Englund (Evergrey)

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Erik Rosvold (Zero Hour)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Michele Luppi (Vision Divine)

Votes: 64 30.3%
  • Pasi Rantanen (Thunderstone)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Simone Simons (Epica)

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • Jorn Lande (Jorn Lande & The Solo Playing Band)

Votes: 22 10.4%

• Total voters
Debbie Schnell said:
of all the ProgPowers combined, that still goes to Daniel Gildenlow at PoS's 1st USA gig PP1 in Chicago- best concert experience of my life!
Amen sister - that will always be the #1 concert experience for me as well. The entire performance was magical, and I doubt anything will ever top it.

:worship:

Ma

Empress said:
Michele Luppi.. not because he was so cool or signed anything for me and took pictures with me.. only because it's true! AMAZING vocalist.. much better live than on record, in my opinion.

I disagree with your statement that he's better live than in the studio. He's stellar in both. :headbang: :kickass:

To me it has to be LANCE KING. Why, because he was on on every song, and didn't miss a cue or a beat even with the monitor problems.

Dominick_7 said:
Someone can be impactful in terms of influencing many people and changing or revolutionizing the music industry, like Jimi Hendrix, but just because they revolutionize music, does it necessarily that they're timeless talents, that there aren't many much better players, or that things haven't gotten better?

I mean Jimi Hendrix is legendary, and yes we wouldnt have power metal without Led Zepplin, or other people, but that doesn't mean that the standards of musicianship haven't progressed and gotten better in certain genres. Jimi Hendrix was impactful, but do you think he's a better player than some of the top power metal or progressive metal players (perhaps Kiko Loureiro, Pettrucci, Romeo from Symphony X)? I certainly don't think so. I respectfully disagree with you without needing to resort to a condesending tone as someone has. What Hendrix did I think is edged us closer to better more perfected/excellent playing in the realm of rock and radically changed the scene. He's radical, and legendary, but I'm sorry he's not the best guitarrist.

Also I think there are people who are legendary but not necessarily timeless talents, Joe Lynn Turner, Dio, (sorry but whatever). Beethoven, Bach, are both legendary and timeless. Eddie Van Halen is legendary and I think could be categorized as timeless. Kansas the same thing perhaps.

Though I think no matter when in history you talk about Dio, Lynn Turner, or NEWEST Jorn or OLDEST Jorn, gritty, non versatile, repetative, lackluster singing that reflects more so of a grunt, growl, or talking voice, I don't think is better than clean, powerful singing..you know, singing, not talking? One is born with the abillity to talk. But in regards to singing it takes alot of discipline, practice, skill, and development to do well..as it is in sports. TIMELESS QUALITY is what I'm talking about. Excellence. If they incorporate other things WITH singing (in regards to growls grunts or grittyness), since it seems they're supposed to be singers mainly, that's cool. A wider pallette can be really enjoyable if they do it tastefully with excellence...but man..If you read the interview with Jorn in the ProgPower booklet, HE HIMSELF says that he's INTENTIONALLY lowering the QUALITY of his voice and music. No more power metal, no more experimentation, growth, or change. He wants a signature, expected, predictable sound. I don't see how anyone who values real or good music, let alone art and creativity, thinks that that is good. It may be good as far as trying to market yourself to the masses, but I don't think that's a good move artistically, especially not good for a progressive metal audience. Without growth, a contingent thing dies.

Last thing I wanted to say was to defend the statement I made that I don't think Jorns music choice and intention belonged in PROGPower. I mean, Prog/Power metal means something. It's not non prog/power metal. Its different from straight up rock, classic rock, and straight up metal. What Jorn did was mostly oldies classic rock type stuff, newer LESSENED QUALITY singing (as HE HIMSELF ADMITTS) and music, and did the same exact thing with his voice for most of the set..This was a Progressive/Power Metal festival. Do you think we should expect to see rap, strict blues, or traditional harp players playing that kind of music at this festival? Since its a progressive/power metal festival I for one don't expect to see non progressive, non power metal acts. You can have those things INCLUDED in the set (though rap is pushing it:), if most of what you see is classic rock, I'm sorry but I dont see how that should be presented in this fest. IF he did Mastermind that would have been appropriate and would have made sense and fit within the context of the fesitival. If someone wants to go the marketing route and do stuff you see on American Idol, or use that same mentality when creating "music" I don't see why they can't do it..but I don't understand why it should be something included in a fesitval that is not about that. While there are wide and various things you can do with progressive and power metal, it cannot be stretched to reach things that go completely outside of its definition and yet STILL be considered progressive or power metal.

It doesn't matter WHO is playing, if they aren't doing something within the definition of progressive or power metal, one shouldnt expect to see it at a progressive power metal festival..put it plain and simple Jorn wasn't doing progressive or power metal, so I don't know why that selection he made/play list and intention was included in the fest. It was not only not progressive, nor power metal, but it also wasn't that good either. LESS than the expected quality...as he himself is wanting it that way.

BTW didn't Helloween help set the definition of what power metal is?

I didn't read all the way through, but I do have 1 thing to say. DIO even at his age, can hang with ANYONE in the style that he has revolutionized!!!!!!!!!!! The gritty, Ballzy, Melodic style he started, and IMHO, can still do it better than anyone out there. As far as Joe Lynn Turner, I opened for him about 2 months ago, and he still has the magic, but not like DIO.....

I will defend DIO till the end, and if you ask ANY Prog/Power vocalist, I'll bet a months paycheck that he was a driving inspiration in their career.... There will NEVER be another DIO..... Case closed.....

Shane

How can someone think Simone is better than Michele Luppi, Jorn and other? Holy shit. Sorry, but imo that's impossible.

And can I vote on two? lol Jorn and Michele.

Beholder said:
Oh, and Mike Maximus for me. with Luppi ans Salinas a close second.

Props to mah boy Salinas..... You killed it bro..... We'll see you at the show in H-town and Dallas in a few weeks.....

Shane
My order was reversed -- Salinas then Mike Maximus! Both were awesome! And I FULLY agree -- Salinas crushed it!!!! Perfect match for Zero Hour!

Good seeing you again, Shane. Nice job on the pre-party!

Oh yeah, we need to get someone to correct ZH's singer name. Erik is two singers ago.

Beholder said:
I didn't read all the way through, but I do have 1 thing to say. DIO even at his age, can hang with ANYONE in the style that he has revolutionized!!!!!!!!!!! The gritty, Ballzy, Melodic style he started, and IMHO, can still do it better than anyone out there. As far as Joe Lynn Turner, I opened for him about 2 months ago, and he still has the magic, but not like DIO.....

I will defend DIO till the end, and if you ask ANY Prog/Power vocalist, I'll bet a months paycheck that he was a driving inspiration in their career.... There will NEVER be another DIO..... Case closed.....

Shane

Agreed. Dio is timeless and legendary. I saw him last year in concert and his vocals were still spot on. And this guy is in his 60s for crying out loud. So I definitely think Dio will be talked about for years and years to come.

There were alot of great performances at PP this year. However, I'd have to choose Jorn as my top vocal performance. Although I was somewhat dissappointed in his choice of song selection (would have loved more Ark), I think he's one of the top in the business and put on a stellar performance.

Thanks to all the vocalist for kicking our asses this year. :headbang: Great job.

Kim

Dominick_7 said:
Someone can be impactful in terms of influencing many people and changing or revolutionizing the music industry, like Jimi Hendrix, but just because they revolutionize music, does it necessarily that they're timeless talents, that there aren't many much better players, or that things haven't gotten better?

I mean Jimi Hendrix is legendary, and yes we wouldnt have power metal without Led Zepplin, or other people, but that doesn't mean that the standards of musicianship haven't progressed and gotten better in certain genres. Jimi Hendrix was impactful, but do you think he's a better player than some of the top power metal or progressive metal players (perhaps Kiko Loureiro, Pettrucci, Romeo from Symphony X)? I certainly don't think so. I respectfully disagree with you without needing to resort to a condesending tone as someone has. What Hendrix did I think is edged us closer to better more perfected/excellent playing in the realm of rock and radically changed the scene. He's radical, and legendary, but I'm sorry he's not the best guitarrist.

Also I think there are people who are legendary but not necessarily timeless talents, Joe Lynn Turner, Dio, (sorry but whatever). Beethoven, Bach, are both legendary and timeless. Eddie Van Halen is legendary and I think could be categorized as timeless. Kansas the same thing perhaps.

Though I think no matter when in history you talk about Dio, Lynn Turner, or NEWEST Jorn or OLDEST Jorn, gritty, non versatile, repetative, lackluster singing that reflects more so of a grunt, growl, or talking voice, I don't think is better than clean, powerful singing..you know, singing, not talking? One is born with the abillity to talk. But in regards to singing it takes alot of discipline, practice, skill, and development to do well..as it is in sports. TIMELESS QUALITY is what I'm talking about. Excellence. If they incorporate other things WITH singing (in regards to growls grunts or grittyness), since it seems they're supposed to be singers mainly, that's cool. A wider pallette can be really enjoyable if they do it tastefully with excellence...but man..If you read the interview with Jorn in the ProgPower booklet, HE HIMSELF says that he's INTENTIONALLY lowering the QUALITY of his voice and music. No more power metal, no more experimentation, growth, or change. He wants a signature, expected, predictable sound. I don't see how anyone who values real or good music, let alone art and creativity, thinks that that is good. It may be good as far as trying to market yourself to the masses, but I don't think that's a good move artistically, especially not good for a progressive metal audience. Without growth, a contingent thing dies.

Last thing I wanted to say was to defend the statement I made that I don't think Jorns music choice and intention belonged in PROGPower. I mean, Prog/Power metal means something. It's not non prog/power metal. Its different from straight up rock, classic rock, and straight up metal. What Jorn did was mostly oldies classic rock type stuff, newer LESSENED QUALITY singing (as HE HIMSELF ADMITTS) and music, and did the same exact thing with his voice for most of the set..This was a Progressive/Power Metal festival. Do you think we should expect to see rap, strict blues, or traditional harp players playing that kind of music at this festival? Since its a progressive/power metal festival I for one don't expect to see non progressive, non power metal acts. You can have those things INCLUDED in the set (though rap is pushing it:), if most of what you see is classic rock, I'm sorry but I dont see how that should be presented in this fest. IF he did Mastermind that would have been appropriate and would have made sense and fit within the context of the fesitival. If someone wants to go the marketing route and do stuff you see on American Idol, or use that same mentality when creating "music" I don't see why they can't do it..but I don't understand why it should be something included in a fesitval that is not about that. While there are wide and various things you can do with progressive and power metal, it cannot be stretched to reach things that go completely outside of its definition and yet STILL be considered progressive or power metal.

It doesn't matter WHO is playing, if they aren't doing something within the definition of progressive or power metal, one shouldnt expect to see it at a progressive power metal festival..put it plain and simple Jorn wasn't doing progressive or power metal, so I don't know why that selection he made/play list and intention was included in the fest. It was not only not progressive, nor power metal, but it also wasn't that good either. LESS than the expected quality...as he himself is wanting it that way.

BTW didn't Helloween help set the definition of what power metal is?

There's SO much to reply to in this post I'll just start at the top and work my way down.

1) It takes a lot more than technical brilliance and all the latest toys to make a great guitarist. Jimi Hendrix played with a passion and feeling that put him in a legendary class all by himself. He redefined what could be done with a guitar and if not for his untimely death, I'm sure he would have continued to do so. There's no doubt the guitarists you mentioned are incredibly talented. But saying they are "better" than Hendrix is like comparing apples to oranges. Who knows what Hendrix could've accomplished with today's technology or after having been exposed some of today's guitarists. In the end it's a safe bet 100 years from now, people will know who Jimi Hendrix was. The jury's still out as to whether or not anyone will remember a Romeo or Petrucci.

"gritty, non-versitile, repetetive, lackluster singing that reflects more of a grunt, growl or talking voice" Have you ever listened to Ronnie James Dio or Joe Lynn Turner? Find me a song where JLT "grunts" or Dio "growls." These are two world class SINGERS, clean and soaring vocals is what they do. Excellence and Timeless Quality is what most metal/hard rock fans think of when they think of Dio or JLT.

I'm also guessing we both read differant interviews in the program with Jorn. Nowhere did I read that he was "intentionally lowering the quality of his voice and singing." In my book it said that in the begining of his career, he basically tried a bunch of different things and styles of singing until he found what worked best for him. Now he's developed his own style and identity and is comfortable with what he does.

I've stated before that Jorn's set was not "progressive". But this festival is ProgPOWER and what I saw definately falls under the power metal catagory. Obviously we have very differant ideas of what power metal is. To me power metal is simply that, powerful metal. Powerful vocals, powerful guitars, powerful music. It's the next evolutionary step of the hard rock/heavy metal of the 80's. You can't tell me Jorn Viggo and Tore were not powerful guitarists. You can't tell me Jorn does not have a powerful voice. We're just gonna have to disagree on this one.

Helloween is one of the greatest power metal bands of all time and they redefined the genre with the amazing Keepers 1 & 2 albums. 99% of all power metal bands owe something to them - but all power metal does not have to sound exactly like them! Power metal is not all dungeons and dragons and every other cheesey steriotype associated with it. It's that and SO much more.

i didnt get to go on day 3 so its not a fair scale for me but i do feal on the scarle ever grey did not get enogh credit i mean come on that shit was awsome
incedently i voted for circus maximus