POLL: The Best Vocal Performance at PPVII

Who gave the overall best vocal performance at PP VII?

• Matt Smith (Theocracy)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mike Eriksen (Circus Maximus)

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Wade Black (Leatherwolf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Lance King (Pyramaze)

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Jens Carlsson (Savage Circus)

• Mattias IA Ekhlund (Freak Kitchen)

• Mikkel Sandager (Mercenary)

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Tom Englund (Evergrey)

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Erik Rosvold (Zero Hour)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Michele Luppi (Vision Divine)

Votes: 64 30.3%
  • Pasi Rantanen (Thunderstone)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Simone Simons (Epica)

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • Jorn Lande (Jorn Lande & The Solo Playing Band)

Votes: 22 10.4%

• Total voters
I thought his voice was very powerful and flawless. Guess it is a difference of opinions. But that is all cool.

AngraRULES said:
Cause you can't really judge what you didn't see and some people think they can. And I think that's funny. :lol:

I saw Jorn. I saw Luppi. I find it funny that anyone could think Jorn is better.

Nor offense.

Well, I got called away before I could finish the poll :oops:

Hopefully everyone comes back and votes.

For me, it comes down to Luppi and Eriksen. I think Luppi has the most powerful voice I've heard at a PP. That scream suring La Vita Fugge was amazing. However, Eriksen showed more range, and was flawless at every level. I pick Eriksen by a hair, but think either is a great selection. Lance King isn't too far behind, and I think Jorn comes in after those guys.

Steve in Philly

Luppi, Jorn and Chris Salinas.

Luppi has such a powerful voice. Great performance. #1 choice.

Jorn is a classic voice and he does what he does magnificently. He proved it at PP.

Chris. I can't believe somebody could hit all the different pitches he did... simply awesome.

Question:

Does Lance's voice not fit his face? Like, when I listen to Pyramaze, and see him live, he doesn't look like the guy that fits that voice, and can sing like that! He seems like he'd have a deeper voice. Weird. It's like a big fat guy having Mini-Me's voice. It's just weird to me!

I liked Michele, Lance, Jorn and Mike about equally and Tom is awesome for the emotion even if he doesn't have the range of the others. Really hard to rate, I enjoyed aspects of all the performances but if I had to pick one it would be Michele Luppi, incredible range and energy...

You want me to pick one!? :OMG:

Well, I guess it would have to be Michele Luppi of Vision Divine. I am still in awe of that note he holds for at least 21 seconds at the end of "La Vita Fugge." He NAILED it. :worship:

I was also extremely impressed by Mikkel of Mercenary, Lance King of Pyramaze, and Simone of Epica.

Greykiller said:
I saw Jorn. I saw Luppi. I find it funny that anyone could think Jorn is better.

Nor offense.

From a technical standpoint (staying on-key, etc.), I have it on good authority that he was. :)

However, I voted for Luppi. Thought he was amazing. Technicality ain't my bag, as my husband would surely agree with. :)

Shaye

What a tough year to judge vocals. So many were absolutely incredible! When it comes to passion and power, no doubt, Jørn gets my vote. However, if we're talking sheer chops and technical execution, Luppi is the man. I was truly humbled, knocked on my ass, and blown away. Damn, that boy can sing!

-j

Jorn, with Luppi a close second. Luppi sounded shrill to me (not saying it sucked, just my impression of it) where Jorns was smooth, which is more the style I prefer. Range and breathing, is Luppi by a longshot.....

J-Dubya

I have to pick Michele Luppi. It's not even close. The only one that could have been close would be Erikson from Circus Maximus but I didn't see the pre-party so I can't vote for him. When I saw Michael E. last year I couldn't believe his voice. It was amazing. It sounds like he delivered again this year. But Luppi sounded phenomenal. I really love his voice and as someone else pointed out, he was the only vocalist of Fri/Sat whose voice was always above the instruments. After Luppi/Erikson I would have to say Lance King was next. He sounded great but was often a little low in the mix but not bad.

LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!! LUPPI!!!!!

I think Tom (Evergrey) has the best voice in metal today. I love his gruff and passionate style, but at the show I had problems hearing him sometimes. It was not the best that I've seen from him. But still... :kickass:

Chris Salinas totally blew me away...it sounded like he was always meant to sing in Zero Hour. Great versatility, powerful style, awesome highs etc.:devil:

I am very sorry to say that I missed Jorn. I was really looking forward to that but, Epica kicked my ass so hard that I had to go back to the hotel. I was singing along with Simone, hair-twirling, and banging my head so hard that I wished I had a neck brace for the ride home. :headbang: :erk:

But still....best vocalist of the show (not of all the ProgPowers combined, that still goes to Daniel Gildenlow at PoS's 1st USA gig PP1 in Chicago- best concert experience of my life!) is by far Michele Luppi. No contest, and I was never a fan of Vision Divine but, once I heard those pipes I got my ass right up front. :worship:

Erik Rosvold was not very good...as a matter of fact,he was almost silent...that background singer Chris Salinas was better than him.My vote goes to that San Antonio dude Chris Salinas....Erik who???

Bryan316 said:
Question:

Does Lance's voice not fit his face? Like, when I listen to Pyramaze, and see him live, he doesn't look like the guy that fits that voice, and can sing like that! He seems like he'd have a deeper voice. Weird. It's like a big fat guy having Mini-Me's voice. It's just weird to me!

Yup! I put that in my review . . . can't figure out how that voice is coming out of a guy that looks like he should be in Manowar :)

Steve in Philly

urayoan said:
ahhh... Erik is not Zero Hour's vocalist anymore...

Yeah, sorry. I'm not a fan, and I looked it up on the net. I see that Chris Salinas is now the singer, but I don't think I can edit a poll. Sorry, Chris!

Steve in Philly