POLL: The Best Vocal Performance at PPVII

Who gave the overall best vocal performance at PP VII?

• Matt Smith (Theocracy)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mike Eriksen (Circus Maximus)

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Wade Black (Leatherwolf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Lance King (Pyramaze)

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Jens Carlsson (Savage Circus)

• Mattias IA Ekhlund (Freak Kitchen)

• Mikkel Sandager (Mercenary)

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Tom Englund (Evergrey)

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Erik Rosvold (Zero Hour)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Michele Luppi (Vision Divine)

Votes: 64 30.3%
  • Pasi Rantanen (Thunderstone)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Simone Simons (Epica)

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • Jorn Lande (Jorn Lande & The Solo Playing Band)

Votes: 22 10.4%

• Total voters
Michele Luppi.. not because he was so cool or signed anything for me and took pictures with me.. only because it's true! AMAZING vocalist.. much better live than on record, in my opinion.

AngraRULES said:
Jorn Lande.

This "question" shouldn't even exist.

Ditto!
Tom, Lance, Mike, & Zack were all great, but Jorn just amazed the hell out of me. They rocked their asses off. What a great show.:kickass:
I have most of Jorn's work, but man they were good live! And Tore was incredible.:worship:

Jorn of course! He's one of the modern masters of vocal expression. Also extensive kudos to Wade Black and Piete Sielck, and notable commendation to Lance King.

rockyracoon said:
Why is that funny?

And also, during the "Allstar Jam" at the end of Jorn's set, did anyone happen to catch that note Truls belted out? Who knew he could sing like that? You wanna talk about funny, lets talk about a drummer having a better voice than some lead singers.

So I wasn't the only one who noticed that? In any other band, he'd be the lead singer....but Circus Maximus has the right guy at the mic and the right guy at the drums. :)

I understand the desire to see who everyone thought was best, but polls like this are fairly meaningless, especially for vocals...and ESPECIALLY this year.

I mean, good Lord....we had 5 of the best vocalists I've *ever* seen....and all on one stage at one time even (thanks to Jorn's all-star jam).

Personally, I had a godawful time deciding between Chris Salinas (Zero Hour) and Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus), but though I definitely think they deserve kudos for best vocals of the festival, I'll admit that my personal preference for their bands' music gives them an advantage in my vote. Deal with it.

Having said that, I was also blown away by the performances of Lance King, Jorn Lande, and Michele Luppi. In fact, I wouldn't have even watched Vision Divine's set except for Luppi's performance...the rest of the band was certainly competent, but it's just not my kind of music. Luppi's vocal performance (coupled with his enthusiasm and great stage presence) is SOLELY what kept me there.

BTW, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Matt Smith of Theocracy. I wasn't all that impressed by Theocracy's music or performance (as far as instrument-playing), but I think Matt has a great voice with tons of potential. Not quite in the same league as the others I've mentioned, but I was still impressed...especially as the opener of the pre-party (and completely unknown to me).

I think we should all just be thankful that we had the chance to see such an awesome number of vocal performances in one single weekend. I heard several people (during the festival) comment on how many great singers we had this year. I agree....best collection of singers I've ever heard in one weekend...hell, in one year, probably!! :headbang:

Craig

Bryan316 said:
Michele Luppi, for his outstanding range, being able to hit the very highest notes from the album without straining, excellent stage presence, great interactions with the crowd, and that 20-second note at the end of La Vitta Fugge.

Michael Erikson for being absolutely flawless, having a truly natural, gifted, talented voice and control over his tone, and showing EVERYONE how it should be done.

And definitely NOT Jorn. Not for me. Stale, slow, held that mic stand in the same posture, goofy sunglasses, boring interaction with the audience, and didn't do a single song that impressed me. Sorry folks, he may have tons of credentials to his name, but he did nothing for me. I had to get up and walk the concourse to stay awake.

I totally agree with you! ESPECIALLY on the Jorn comments..I heard Masterplan and it was amazing!!! But I CANNOT STAND that low quality gritty Folgers coffee crystal commercial singing crap he does..its like a mix between Dio, someone else whose really old, and any Ynwie singer..(EXCEPT the dood from Fire and Ice)..a 90 yrs old version of Joe Lynn Turner..it was mostely rock..not progressive, and I wondered why that was allowed at a venue called progpower.

Mike or Michele...
Michele or Mike...

Before I can cast a vote, I'm gonna have to get off the fence first!

Dominick_7 said:
I totally agree with you! ESPECIALLY on the Jorn comments..I heard Masterplan and it was amazing!!! But I CANNOT STAND that low quality gritty Folgers coffee crystal commercial singing crap he does..its like a mix between Dio, someone else whose really old, and any Ynwie singer..(EXCEPT the dood from Fire and Ice)..a 90 yrs old version of Joe Lynn Turner..it was mostely rock..not progressive, and I wondered why that was allowed at a venue called progpower.

Ah, newbies! Gotta love'em. If you wanna have any credibility at all you gotta pick someone else to slam other than legends like Dio and Joe Lynn Turner! Otherwise it's back to music appreciation and metal history 101. Without bands like Dio and Rainbow there never would have been any power metal.

I can undestand someone who just does't like Jorn's voice or his style of singing. But when someone says he doesn't even belong at a ProgPower fest, they're only showing their own ignorance. All power metal does not have to sound like Helloween!

VenomGA said:
I thought his voice was very powerful and flawless. Guess it is a difference of opinions. But that is all cool.
If you like a voice that attempts to not be excellent, versatile, or impressive then cool. He himself admitts that he's TRYING not to do that anymore..in the progpower book, in his interview he says the quality is INTENTIONALLY being brought down, because he wants a signature type voice...no more experimentation, no more clean soaring vocals, no more power metal, etc..blah...I mean barf..

Andy Laudano said:
Ah, newbies! Gotta love'em. If you wanna have any credibility at all you gotta pick someone else to slam other than legends like Dio and Joe Lynn Turner! Otherwise it's back to music appreciation and metal history 101. Without bands like Dio and Rainbow there never would have been any power metal.

I can undestand someone who just does't like Jorn's voice or his style of singing. But when someone says he doesn't even belong at a ProgPower fest, they're only showing their own ignorance. All power metal does not have to sound like Helloween!

Someone can be impactful in terms of influencing many people and changing or revolutionizing the music industry, like Jimi Hendrix, but just because they revolutionize music, does it necessarily that they're timeless talents, that there aren't many much better players, or that things haven't gotten better?

I mean Jimi Hendrix is legendary, and yes we wouldnt have power metal without Led Zepplin, or other people, but that doesn't mean that the standards of musicianship haven't progressed and gotten better in certain genres. Jimi Hendrix was impactful, but do you think he's a better player than some of the top power metal or progressive metal players (perhaps Kiko Loureiro, Pettrucci, Romeo from Symphony X)? I certainly don't think so. I respectfully disagree with you without needing to resort to a condesending tone as someone has. What Hendrix did I think is edged us closer to better more perfected/excellent playing in the realm of rock and radically changed the scene. He's radical, and legendary, but I'm sorry he's not the best guitarrist.

Also I think there are people who are legendary but not necessarily timeless talents, Joe Lynn Turner, Dio, (sorry but whatever). Beethoven, Bach, are both legendary and timeless. Eddie Van Halen is legendary and I think could be categorized as timeless. Kansas the same thing perhaps.

Though I think no matter when in history you talk about Dio, Lynn Turner, or NEWEST Jorn or OLDEST Jorn, gritty, non versatile, repetative, lackluster singing that reflects more so of a grunt, growl, or talking voice, I don't think is better than clean, powerful singing..you know, singing, not talking? One is born with the abillity to talk. But in regards to singing it takes alot of discipline, practice, skill, and development to do well..as it is in sports. TIMELESS QUALITY is what I'm talking about. Excellence. If they incorporate other things WITH singing (in regards to growls grunts or grittyness), since it seems they're supposed to be singers mainly, that's cool. A wider pallette can be really enjoyable if they do it tastefully with excellence...but man..If you read the interview with Jorn in the ProgPower booklet, HE HIMSELF says that he's INTENTIONALLY lowering the QUALITY of his voice and music. No more power metal, no more experimentation, growth, or change. He wants a signature, expected, predictable sound. I don't see how anyone who values real or good music, let alone art and creativity, thinks that that is good. It may be good as far as trying to market yourself to the masses, but I don't think that's a good move artistically, especially not good for a progressive metal audience. Without growth, a contingent thing dies.

Last thing I wanted to say was to defend the statement I made that I don't think Jorns music choice and intention belonged in PROGPower. I mean, Prog/Power metal means something. It's not non prog/power metal. Its different from straight up rock, classic rock, and straight up metal. What Jorn did was mostly oldies classic rock type stuff, newer LESSENED QUALITY singing (as HE HIMSELF ADMITTS) and music, and did the same exact thing with his voice for most of the set..This was a Progressive/Power Metal festival. Do you think we should expect to see rap, strict blues, or traditional harp players playing that kind of music at this festival? Since its a progressive/power metal festival I for one don't expect to see non progressive, non power metal acts. You can have those things INCLUDED in the set (though rap is pushing it:), if most of what you see is classic rock, I'm sorry but I dont see how that should be presented in this fest. IF he did Mastermind that would have been appropriate and would have made sense and fit within the context of the fesitival. If someone wants to go the marketing route and do stuff you see on American Idol, or use that same mentality when creating "music" I don't see why they can't do it..but I don't understand why it should be something included in a fesitval that is not about that. While there are wide and various things you can do with progressive and power metal, it cannot be stretched to reach things that go completely outside of its definition and yet STILL be considered progressive or power metal.

It doesn't matter WHO is playing, if they aren't doing something within the definition of progressive or power metal, one shouldnt expect to see it at a progressive power metal festival..put it plain and simple Jorn wasn't doing progressive or power metal, so I don't know why that selection he made/play list and intention was included in the fest. It was not only not progressive, nor power metal, but it also wasn't that good either. LESS than the expected quality...as he himself is wanting it that way.

BTW didn't Helloween help set the definition of what power metal is?

rockyracoon said:
And also, during the "Allstar Jam" at the end of Jorn's set, did anyone happen to catch that note Truls belted out? Who knew he could sing like that? You wanna talk about funny, lets talk about a drummer having a better voice than some lead singers.

I talked to Truls about that Dokken note he pulled off. It was great, and the guy can sing. He sings alot on the new Beyond Twilight album along with Mike E. And he plays the guitar and can teach Norwegian too, right raevsleiker? Very talented guy.