Porcupine Tree Appreciation

BlueSky

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2006
Well since there is no forum on this site for PT and most of us love 'em I thought I'd make a thread.

What are your favorite songs and albums and are there any dissapointments? What are your thoughts on some of the lyrics and where do you think steve's inspiration comes from? steve writes about everything and some of the lyrics where he talks about murder are quite psychotic. anyhow discuss

:headbang:

Yeah me likes 'em. I'm probably most into In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun and some favourite songs are Trains (surprise surprise), Russia On Ice, Blackest Eyes, Collapse The Light Into Earth and Heartattack In A Lay By. Lyrically my favourite has to be Russia On Ice.

Another thing I've thought of is also that they are one of the bands I discovered through Opeth, alongside Katatonia and all the Dan Swanö stuff. Porcupine Tree as well as Katatonia and Dan Swanö all owns Opeth. So you could say putting on Blackwater Park in 2002 got me into new dimensions.

What can I say, I discovered them in late 2003 due to the connection to Opeth, so I checked and In Absentia, which I really liked. But only since "Deadwing" came out, I became totally engulfed by them. They've become one of my absolute favourite bands. I totally love all of their stuff from "Stupid Dream" and onwards. The earlier stuff I don't like as much.

So the new PT is definitely one of my most anticipated releases for 2007!

BTW, before I really discovered PT, I discovered Blackfield in fall 2004 which I also totally love. Saw them live in december that same year, which was awesome. I'm also looking forward to the new Blackfield album very much and I'm gonna see them again February.

IMO, one of the best bands working today. Steven Wilson is an absolute genius at songwriting. I really don't know if they have released a bad album. Prefer their earlier music--Sky Moves Sideways, Signify, Stupid Dream. Then, of course, In Absentia(one of the best albums in the 21st century. Coma Divine is a great "live" album. Also like Warzawa--live versions of Russia on Ice, Hate song, Even Less, Stop Swimming. Superb Band!!!

I love them too, my favorite albums are The Sky Moves Sideways and Lightbulb Sun, and right now my favorite song is Don't Hate Me, but this changes every month

(New merch has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D)

Porcupine Tree is my favourite band at least the last 1-1 half years.Their creativity amazes me within every listen. All their songs are special for me, waht i have in mind right now...hm, from signify: dark matter, coma divine, wake as gun I, nine cats (acoustic), from in absentia:blackest eyes, heartattack in a layby, strip the soul, gravity eyelids. From recordings: buying new soul, disappear, cure for optimism. From deadwing: arriving somewhere...but not here, The Start of Something Beautiful, lazarus. From lightbulb sun: russia on ice, shesmovedon, lightbulb sun.
Well i'm pretty hooked up with everything, it was really hard to pick up songs.

O, has anyone bought any of theese - ltd 500 each -lithographies?? i was wondering about the print and the quallity of paper, I haven't understood yet what exactly is, but it's relatively cheap, and it's large enough i guess.

Yeah me likes 'em. I'm probably most into In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun and some favourite songs are Trains (surprise surprise), Russia On Ice, Blackest Eyes, Collapse The Light Into Earth and Heartattack In A Lay By. Lyrically my favourite has to be Russia On Ice.

I'd have to agree for the most part. Russia on Ice, collapse the light into earth, even less, sleep of no dreaming, the sound of muzak, shesmovedon, syntghesia, and prolly a bunch more but my all time fav is trains.

I got the new edition of stupid dream today <3 and soon I will get the new edition of signify. why didn't they do lightbulb sun yet? I need!

I only had deadwing and In absentia too but that's just because the rest were so hard to find.