Porcupine Tree Appreciation

PT is one of my all time favourites. I discovered them through Opeth and haven't looked back. I also looked at some of Steve's side projects and got right into Blackfield. Now I just have to strenuously lobby for an Aus tour!!! Not gonna happen:(

Porcupine Tree MySpace blog update:
PT new album update

Writing for the next PT studio record is well underway, with the band recently spending 2 weeks secluded in the English countryside working on new tracks. Recording of these pieces and a new 35 minute SW song cycle is due to start in February, and tour plans are being put in place from September onwards following release of the new album. A London show is already announced for 9th October at Hammersmith Apollo, and there will be many more dates confirmed over the coming weeks, so please check the tour dates page for updates. You can also join the PT ticketing club to ensure that wherever possible you will be offered the best tickets for the shows (plus you get a free live CD). For information on how to join and details, click here.
Damn, does the guy ever stop writing??!

Porcupine Tree is a weird band for me, the albums I've heard are hit or miss. I found In Absentia to be tedious, Deadwing was ok, Voyage 34 was pretty enjoyable, and I love Fear of a Blank Planet. What should I get?

I first understood the gigs in September would be gigs where they'd be 'road-testing' the new material first, before recording it, just like they did in 2006 with the Fear of a Blank Planet material. But reading this, it doesn't seem to be the case and we'll actually have a new album in the summer of 2009 :) Awesome!
Porcupine Tree is a weird band for me, the albums I've heard are hit or miss. I found In Absentia to be tedious, Deadwing was ok, Voyage 34 was pretty enjoyable, and I love Fear of a Blank Planet. What should I get?
Strange indeed, generally In Absentia is the album people get into most easily. If you like Voyage 34, then most definitely go for The Sky Moves Sideways. You might also want to give Signify (bit of a transitional album from the ambient style to the more rock-oriented style), Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun a try.

FoABP and IA are my favourite PT albums for sure. One of the few bands that's actually getting better with time. I'm hoping for something varied. Mix some sensitive balladry with the angst and prog and it will be pwnage.

Akerfeldt should produce the new one :lol: Deadwing is my favorite album of theirs, I only have the last four albums though. I want to get Stupid Dream and Signify soon. How do those two albums stack up to the last three?!?!

Akerfeldt should produce the new one :lol:
Haha :)
Deadwing is my favorite album of theirs, I only have the last four albums though. I want to get Stupid Dream and Signify soon. How do those two albums stack up to the last three?!?!
Stupid Dream is fucking fantastic, a bit different, less metal than the last 3 albums, but awesome nonetheless. Stylewise it's pretty much like Lightbulb Sun.