Porcupine Tree

blimey said:
Yeah

You know what I realized? When Steve Wilson plays live, he really doesn't play much guitar, unlike Mike. Mike is one crazy soab. To be able to play like that ... and to growl and sing along WHILE playing rythym like that... ugh... Mike is just to talented. Even though Steve Wilson is amazing. Mike > Steven is what I'm saying, but not by a huge margin.

Yeah you are right. Moreover, Opeth's songs are more complex imo than PT's.

I dont think i could say the akerfeldt is greater than wilson...even if its by a small margin. theyre both at the top of their respective styles. they just write differently is all. Wilson has teh creative genius that Opeth sought, hes just a little more 'out there' imo. he does little thinsg that no one else thinks of. it may seem simple when youre listehing to it, but its not something the ordinary person thinks of when writing a song.

when it comes down to guitar during live performances. alot of PT songs have two guitar tracks (though usually only one has a huge part)...but it the studio, if im not mistaken, theyre all done by Wilson, so when doing a performance live, would you rather the vocalist take on most of the guitar work, or let the live guitarist take the more involved parts? its being smart.

when it comes to lyrical ability though....Mikael>Wilson

but when it somes to songwriting ability...i prefer Wilson.

But in the end, i prefer Opeth to Porcupine Tree...most of the time.

apostle said:
Steve Wilson's song writing is way more creative than Mike's is.
eeehhh i dont think so bub.. lol.. seriously though, they are both creative in their own ways, and they each have a bit of a signature style where you can telll whose playing what, and who incorporated that section into that song. same with Peter and Mike, you (at least i can) tell when one starts and the other stops, in their solos especially.

N-MAYH said:
eeehhh i dont think so bub.. lol.. seriously though, they are both creative in their own ways, and they each have a bit of a signature style where you can telll whose playing what, and who incorporated that section into that song. same with Peter and Mike, you (at least i can) tell when one starts and the other stops, in their solos especially.
Holy shit, that was like... the first good post from you! :D You're right as hell though lol.

For me, Mike > Steven Wilson

But, I love PT and Steve's stuff. And I think he's had a fantastic influence over recent Opeth. But Mike is definately the better guitarist. i really honestly think that, for feel and sensetivity, nobody touches him.

Does anybody else think the 'The Start Of Something Beautiful' is fucking amazing?

I do :)

Wtf Blimey double posting is okay once in a while but you just TRIPLE posted okay?!?!? That's too fucking much! Hold back on the double posts and just edit your single ones instead. (Like I do, I think I have only made 1 double post... EVER.)

- EVER (Whoops that's in parentheses. Whoops so is this! AND THIS! AHH!!!!!)

Am I the only fan of "Stupid Dream" here? At first In Absentia was my favorite and I couldn't absorb the older PT - then Deadwing emerged and it grew on me quickly, though I still cannot say whether I prefer IA to DW. However, I found "Stupid Dream" and it slowly became my favorite. This is somewhat reminiscent to the path Opeth walked: Damnation->Deliverance->Still Life->My Arms, Your Hearse->Monringrise->Orchid->Blackwater Park->Ghost Reveries->? Perhaps I'll regress to MAYH or Still Life... ;)

NeilPeart said:
Am I the only fan of "Stupid Dream" here?

No. I have yet to find a PT record that I do not find fantastic... of course that is exactly what I would say about Opeth. Opeth is a full step closer to the perfect style whithin my own personal taste to take the number one slot... for me. I don't think I've heard the full PT catalog, but I own several records and well.... I'm about to repeate myself.:erk:

Out.:devil:

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Wtf Blimey double posting is okay once in a while but you just TRIPLE posted okay?!?!? That's too fucking much! Hold back on the double posts and just edit your single ones instead. (Like I do, I think I have only made 1 double post... EVER.)

- EVER (Whoops that's in parentheses. Whoops so is this! AND THIS! AHH!!!!!)
Tubbs... you love it. And you love me. Honestly, you just can't deny that.

never noticed this before. but "shallow" plays on the movie 'four brothers'

was definitely kinda odd to hear a band like pt on that soundtracks.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Holy shit. Now THAT is strange!
It ALMOST made me want to go see the movie.

PT songs do show up in odd places though. It is said that the intro bass riff on Strip the Soul appeared one on Pimp My Ride, of all things.

Steven Wilson's songwriting is less formulaic than Mike's. Both are incredible, but Mike has been writing songs in the same structural style on every Opeth album except Damnation, whereas SW's has changed drastically over his career and often from album to album.

On guitar, I think Mike is better, but again SW is more of a songwriter than guitarist. I also like Mike's voice better but that varies from day to day.

old PT > new PT.

I love their more psychadelic, more jam-like days. I love In Absentia, but its kind of disappointing how theyve moved to more structured songs rather than the more out there, instrumentally based songs. Though, Im a fan of every cd theyve put out, for the most part.