Post Rock/Ambient/Drone

Lothlorien

Towards the Great Sky
Jan 28, 2006
so im a huge fan of pelican and ive listened to some explosions in the sky and mono, but id like to know what your guys' favorite artists/albums are from these genres.

for ambient drone you all must check out:

the angelic process - weighing souls with sand (my favourite album from last year)

post-wise check out some of these bands

callisto - noir
giant - song
sigur ros - takk / ()
65daysofstatic - retreat! retreat! / the fall of math / the destruction of small ideas
meniscus - absense of i

and maybe smw? :)

Magyar Posse owns, I've been giving Kings of Time quite a few spins lately.

For some dark ambient stuff, check out Raison d'Être - Within the Depths of Silence and Phormations. And not quite so much ambient, but also dark, atmospheric and droney: Bohren und Der Club of Gore - Black Earth.

i should really get around to giving magyar posse a go.

bohren is definitely a must. i've been spinning a lot of tenhi lately too. i'm really digging a lot of the rarities on folk aesthetic.

Post-Metal:
Jesu - Their early stuff is pretty much split down the middle between post-metal and post-rock. Try Self-Titled. Epic as all hell.
Isis - These guys were also heavier in their early years. If you want a more melodic take on the post-metal stuff, try Panopticon. It's my favorite.
Boris - These guys go all over the place with their style. Literally one minute they're drone, the next they're stoner rock, the next they're post-rock... I'd suggest Pink as a starting place, as it encompasses a large portion of their sound.

Post-Rock:
Jesu - their later stuff is much more melodic, sometimes branching over into chill-out electronic or trip-hop, but it's all amazing. Seriously, my favorite band.
Red Sparowes - Instrumental post rock, with some nice drone segments. There's a lot of this kind of stuff out there, but I like these guys quite a bit.
Mogwai - One of the "big names" in post-rock. I only have one of their albums, but they're instrumental and it's all pretty high-quality stuff.

Ambient/Drone:
Eluvium - also not too familiar with everything he's done, but I've been impressed with what I've heard.
Final - The ambient electronic project of Justin Broadrick (the guy from Jesu). "3" is very good.

I feel like I'm forgetting some stuff, but I'll just post more later if I think of any.

Sadly, I've been seeing a lot of "post-metal" bands pop up lately that are really just trying to sound like Isis. It seems like even the most creative music gets watered down eventually...

Peace

Rorix

65daysofstatic
The Burning Paris
Caspian
Do Make Say Think
Explosions In The Sky
God Is An Astronaut
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Isis
Jesu
Laura
Mogwai
pg.lost
Red Sparowes
Sparrows Swarm And Sing
This Will Destroy You
Yndi Halda

here's something different... i dont know how to categorize them but i feel they fit in this thread perfectly well:

dirty three

warren ellis from the bad seeds is playing violin in this band. they have a very folkish-ambient feel to them. i always thought they were "post rock" in an unconventional way. try their "sad and dangerous" or "ocean songs" albums. the band is made up of violin, guitar and drums. no bass =)

I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a label site that allowed downloading whole albums for free, and most of the bands there (from what I read) are post-rockish. http://lostchildrennetlabel.wordpress.com/
I've only really checked out one band called Loss Of A Child, and they're really good; they're post rock, but most of it is piano lead and the distorted guitars are used more for the rhythm. My explanation sucks, but they're a good bad, and I'd love the album if the production was better, but that's understandable.

Oh, and let's not forget Alcest, Neurosis, Godflesh, or SWANS.

Sorry, just forgot those guys (and girls).

magyar posse
sigur rós
godspeed you black emperor
red sparowes
eluvium
mogwai
mono
65daysofstatic
isis
múm
kaada/patton
god is an astronaut
cult of luna
jesu
explosions in the sky
a silver mt. zion
do make say think
boris
etc...

sorry if i repeated most of the names already recommended.