Postpartum depression..

20 years ago I would have agreed with these statements but not anymore.

You can have absolutely anything you want. But you can't have everything.

That's the best advice I've ever gotten.

Tell that to the poor, starving people in 3rd world countries or the soldier back from war who lost his legs or the child who is terminally ill. Maybe I'm being to extreme here but am I?
That statement makes me think of a little kid with his dad on his birthday in a Toys R Us. Don't take that as an attack, I'm just stating what I believe.

It really depends on a few really simply, yet very crucial, beliefs.

#1: You have to LOVE what you do. You have to love music and know that you wouldn't have it any other way. You have to love it to the point of enduring all of the bullshit and hardships that come along with being in a band. You have to love it to the point of knowing that you might play clubs for years and years before getting a record deal or even a supporting slot with a high profile band.

Bottom line: You need to know how much you can and will endure. You need to decide how important the music is to you. Are you willing to make those sacrifices?? If so, great...go at it 100% full speed, if not...then you better be able to supplement your income somehow.

I hate to sound like a debbie downer, but it really is the truth.

-Joe

It sounds like you're saying that if you don't want to deal with all the BS that comes with the territory then you don't love music enough. That sounds ridiculous to me now. Sorry, but it does.
The disillusion over the years has worn me down to virtually a halt.

Bottom line: You need contacts (that are going to come through for you) and if you don't have any and don't know how to get them then its like playing the lottery for the big jack pot. It's possible but not likely.

Also people have health problems, For most, if not all, the older you get, the more that occur and they need to be addressed, often on a daily basis and as far as I know, most musicians in the biz don't have insurance so if you're on tour and you only have enough money for a days worth of food, beer and some new strings and picks but you also need medication, what are you going to do?
The music business shouldn't have to be that way.
I don't have any solution though.

Then there's also the fact that if you do make it, it most likely won't last forever and you may be back to square one...but older.

Check out this video. Tom Fischer from Celtic Frost. He's pissed with every right to be.

I wish James would join in on this conversation. Then again, maybe not, he might rip me a new one because I admit that I may not know what the hell I'm talking about . :lol:

So yeah, get out there and make that dream a reality! :kickass: :erk:

Afterwards:
I hope I didn't come across as an a-hole just now so sorry if it seemed that way. Like I said, I have issues. You're raised to believe that you can be anything you want in life but it simply does not apply to everyone. As a matter of fact, I bet its safe to say that most people never achieved their dream and have jobs that are totally unrelated. Many cope and deal just fine (or so it seems),
others like me result in depression and hate.
One way to partially get myself around that is through humor on this forum, whether its from me or someone else.

Uladyne - Your music is pretty kick ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uladyne - What did you use for the guitars sound? I like it. Damn, you can scream! Do you have cds available with artwork and more material or are you still trying to work on that?

20 years ago I would have agreed with these statements but not anymore.

Tell that to the poor, starving people in 3rd world countries or the soldier back from war who lost his legs or the child who is terminally ill. Maybe I'm being to extreme here but am I?
That statement makes me think of a little kid with his dad on his birthday in a Toys R Us. Don't take that as an attack, I'm just stating what I believe.

It sounds like you're saying that if you don't want to deal with all the BS that comes with the territory then you don't love music enough. That sounds ridiculous to me now. Sorry, but it does.
The disillusion over the years has worn me down to virtually a halt.

Bottom line: You need contacts (that are going to come through for you) and if you don't have any and don't know how to get them then its like playing the lottery for the big jack pot. It's possible but not likely.

Also people have health problems, For most, if not all, the older you get, the more that occur and they need to be addressed, often on a daily basis and as far as I know, most musicians in the biz don't have insurance so if you're on tour and you only have enough money for a days worth of food, beer and some new strings and picks but you also need medication, what are you going to do?
The music business shouldn't have to be that way.
I don't have any solution though.

Then there's also the fact that if you do make it, it most likely won't last forever and you may be back to square one...but older.

Check out this video. Tom Fischer from Celtic Frost. He's pissed with every right to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el4uQBQs9Jw

I wish James would join in on this conversation. Then again, maybe not, he might rip me a new one because I admit that I may not know what the hell I'm talking about . :lol:

So yeah, get out there and make that dream a reality! :kickass: :erk:

Afterwards:
I hope I didn't come across as an a-hole just now so sorry if it seemed that way. Like I said, I have issues. You're raised to believe that you can be anything you want in life but it simply does not apply to everyone. As a matter of fact, I bet its safe to say that most people never achieved their dream and have jobs that are totally unrelated. Many cope and deal just fine (or so it seems),
others like me result in depression and hate.
One way to partially get myself around that is through humor on this forum, whether its from me or someone else.

Uladyne - Your music is pretty kick ass.

Hm...No I definitely did not say that. I love music and cannot live without it, fact. What I meant was, to survive in the music business you need to really love what you do. The touring, odd schedules, everything. Some people just live for it, some don't. I know plenty of guys that love music and aren't in touring bands, some not in any band.

I should have phrased it "music business."

-Joe

And my friend, you can be anything you want. I probably sound like a parent right now, but whatever. You live in NJ too, a local eh? You live in the free world and have a multitude of opportunities around you. Some people are born privileged and thus they don't need to work as hard as others to get where they want. Some people are born less privileged and need to work much harder to achieve the status of the previous person. But the fact is, you still have the same opportunities. It might take a lot more work, or a lot more ass kissing to get there, but it's true.

Now, if it's a medical condition like you said, that is different. But any semi-normal functioning human being can be whatever they want in life.

Rant over!

-Joe

Hm...No I definitely did not say that. I love music and cannot live without it, fact. What I meant was, to survive in the music business you need to really love what you do. The touring, odd schedules, everything. Some people just live for it, some don't. I know plenty of guys that love music and aren't in touring bands, some not in any band.

I should have phrased it "music business."

-Joe

Well, that clears it up more but I still don't entirely agree because from my perspective you're not officially in the music biz until you are signed to at least a halfway decent label and release an album. And trying to keep that going for years (surviving) seems to be extremely difficult which in that case, yes, you have to love it all. So I guess I'm meeting you halfway here since bands/solo acts that aren't signed don't apply to this part of the conversation for me.

And my friend, you can be anything you want. I probably sound like a parent right now, but whatever. You live in NJ too, a local eh? You live in the free world and have a multitude of opportunities around you. Some people are born privileged and thus they don't need to work as hard as others to get where they want. Some people are born less privileged and need to work much harder to achieve the status of the previous person. But the fact is, you still have the same opportunities. It might take a lot more work, or a lot more ass kissing to get there, but it's true.

Now, if it's a medical condition like you said, that is different. But any semi-normal functioning human being can be whatever they want in life.

Rant over!

-Joe

See, I've come to believe that none of that means anything when it comes to the music biz.
I haven't always lived in NJ. Pre-internet/myspace age was like living in the dark ages compared to now. Depending on where you lived and who you met, figuring out how to get to where you wanted was a challenge to say the least.
And yes, at my age now, I do have medical conditions that need to be addressed on a daily basis and can't live like the way I described earlier unless I join Megadeth or something but that ain't gonna happen.

This thread really got me worked up last night. I guess it all finally came out and I went on a bit of a rampage. I apologize again.

See, I've come to believe that none of that means anything when it comes to the music biz.
I haven't always lived in NJ. Pre-internet/myspace age was like living in the dark ages compared to now. Depending on where you lived and who you met, figuring out how to get to where you wanted was a challenge to say the least.
And yes, at my age now, I do have medical conditions that need to be addressed on a daily basis and can't live like the way I described earlier unless I join Megadeth or something but that ain't gonna happen.

This thread really got me worked up last night. I guess it all finally came out and I went on a bit of a rampage. I apologize again.

No need to apologize dude, :)

Yes, it is strange how much of an impact the net has had on pretty much every part of our lives. Job market, music, networking, etc. I suppose you are right that years ago it was probably harder to form connections and such without the net. The only point I was trying to make is that we all really have a choice in life as to where we want to go. It just sucks that it takes certain people a long time to realize this, myself included.

And yes, I do see what you mean, and in your situation it is a bit different. It's usually tougher to change things as you become older because of all the extra responsibilities. It can be tough to make music work in your life, but i believe firmly that if you want it enough, you can make it happen.

For the longest time I struggled between finding a "real" job, or going in a creative direction with music. It's the fact that having this struggle for all these years made me realize that a full-time job in music isn't for me. I'm quite happy doing my 9-5, and doing music on the side. Who knows, maybe some day it will turn into more.

I think the important thing is to find the correct balance in your life so you can do many things and be happy.

-Joe

No need to apologize dude, :)

The only point I was trying to make is that we all really have a choice in life as to where we want to go. It just sucks that it takes certain people a long time to realize this, myself included.

but i believe firmly that if you want it enough, you can make it happen.

I'm quite happy doing my 9-5, and doing music on the side. Who knows, maybe some day it will turn into more.

I think the important thing is to find the correct balance in your life so you can do many things and be happy.

-Joe

Ok, I'm glad that you're starting to see where I'm coming from however due to the world we live in, I still don't believe the first 2 points above anymore when it comes to the music biz or even other things like sports (which I hate) where someone has a dream that they're passionate about, making it as say, a pro football player. They may be great in high school and college but never make it to the pros.

As far as the last 2 points go, I think you are probably correct. I used to have that balance but not anymore, however I'm not dead yet.

People always say, "Think positive". Well I've been thinking positive my whole life and frankly, I'm tired of it.

Godspeed to you.

Ok, I'm glad that you're starting to see where I'm coming from however due to the world we live in, I still don't believe the first 2 points above anymore when it comes to the music biz or even other things like sports (which I hate) where someone has a dream that they're passionate about, making it as say, a pro football player. They may be great in high school and college but never make it to the pros.

As far as the last 2 points go, I think you are probably correct. I used to have that balance but not anymore, however I'm not dead yet.

People always say, "Think positive". Well I've been thinking positive my whole life and frankly, I'm tired of it.

Godspeed to you.

Well, it's better than thinking negative and wallowing in sorrow, right??

Even if music doesn't work out, I'm sure you have other things in your life to appreciate and look forward to!

-Joe

Uladyne - What did you use for the guitars sound? I like it. Damn, you can scream! Do you have cds available with artwork and more material or are you still trying to work on that?

Thanks man! Guitars are (surprise, surprise!) Podxt. Thanks for the compliments on my voice! I'm pretty self-conscious about doing vocals, and I don't think I could ever get the balls to do them outside my little studio, so it's nice to hear compliments. I'm working on getting material together for a full length now, and I'd love to release an actual CD with artwork and everything at some point, but at this point it seems nearly impossible financially, so more than likely it will available by download only.

Thanks man! Guitars are (surprise, surprise!) Podxt. Thanks for the compliments on my voice! I'm pretty self-conscious about doing vocals, and I don't think I could ever get the balls to do them outside my little studio, so it's nice to hear compliments. I'm working on getting material together for a full length now, and I'd love to release an actual CD with artwork and everything at some point, but at this point it seems nearly impossible financially, so more than likely it will available by download only.

I thought maybe I scared you off. hehe.

I didn't know what to expect but again it wasn't the pod. That thing never ceases to amaze me. Your tone really does sound awesome. One thing that I do have to complain about though is the whole, overall quality is muddy. Don't know if its your a/d converters or the myspace player or what.

I have your myspace page bookmarked and will check in from time to time to see how the full length is coming along. I want to support you man!
Plus I especially have a soft spot for one man bands that of course kick ass. :kickass:

Thanks man! I think the mud may be partially due to the myspace player, but mostly due to my shitty monitors I mixed on. I just got some new Yamaha HS50Ms and I'm realizing just how wacky things sound. I'm going to be remixing everything now that I can hear what's going on. I love these things!

Interestingly, my buddy (and co-guitarist) and I were talking about this very thing last night. Once upon a time, I really thought that I needed to have a career in music. However, I had other obligations (ahem...loan repayment) that required a much more stable existence than playing in a touring band could accommodate. Also, I wasn't in any sort of financial position to relocate, and Fargo ND is a horrible place to base a band out of--you have to drive a couple of hundred miles to play anywhere else. When I got married, I resigned music to being a hobby and nothing else. That was the best thing I could have done. Rather than lamenting the fact that I wasn't in any position to get anywhere in music, it freed me up to do exactly what I want. I write what I like. If people don't like it, I really have no reason to care. I found a few guys to play with. We have fun. We have no expectation of making any money whatsoever. We recorded a full-length 2 years ago, and sold 200 copies. It's not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination, but the idea that there are 200 people out there with a copy of my stuff is gratifying. I Googled my name, and found some Chilean message board where they were digging the stuff that they had heard on MP3. It's crazy to me that some Chilean guys are digging the stuff that I write in what spare time that I have. That's the level that I'm at, and the level that I'll stay. In the meantime, I work my 40+ hours, come home to my wife and baby, and enjoy the general stability of a "regular" life. At this point, it's not about dollars and cents; making a ton of fans; playing "rock star"; or even trying to garner respect. It's just about getting together with my friends and creating something.

That's awesome dude, and exactly what my dream is - I'm hopefully gonna graduate this May with a degree in Urban Planning and go on to a career in that, but music will always be THE single greatest driving force in my live, and the thing that makes me feel fulfilled more than anything else, so I definitely wanna do exactly what you've done (play it as a hobby), and I won't give a shit if I don't make a cent from it, cuz all I care is that people listen to it and dig it! (I love that bit about the Chilean message board, that's exposure!!) Thanks for sharing man, very inspiring! :kickass:

Of course, I wouldn't MIND if a band I formed got huge...but I'm certainly not expecting it ;)