Power Metal?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
It seems like this forum's taste runs largely towards the more extreme genres in Metal. Granted, it seems that most forum members have wide-ranging, fairly eclectic musical tastes, but none the less, it seems that the edgier Metal genres are this forum's meat and potatoes. With that being said, how many of you enjoy Power Metal? Mind you, I'm not talking about bands like Maiden, Priest, Dio, etc., that most of us hold some sort of long time fondness for, but rather the new generation of Power Metallers.

Part of what prompted this thread is my fondness for the new Angra CD, "Temple of Shadows". These guys do such a great job of coloring traditional Power Metal with Progressive elements, as well as with elements of their Brazilian heritage. But beyond Angra, I find that my Top 10 of 2004 will once again include a good number of Power Metal releases:

Iced Earth "The Glorious Burden"
Angra "Temple of Shadows"
Evergrey "The Inner Circle"
Pyramaze "Melancholy Beast”
Tad Morose "Modus Vivendi"

So, while this forum has dragged me, often kicking and screaming, towards such great bands as Enslaved, Amon Amarth, Drudkh, Primordial, Nightfall, Moonsorrow, etc., I still find that my love for Power Metal (when it's done well), still burns strong.

Zod

I know squat about Power Metal, as the only album I've heard from the genre is Blind Guardian's "Somewhere Far Beyond". Granted, I give the genre a hard time, but that's mostly due to the pure cheese of a bunch of the photos like Rhapsody and Hammerfall, etc.

Somewhere Far Beyond did have some elements I like, mainly the folkish interludes and flute playing, but there wsn't enough of it to really keep my interest. And that dude's vocals= :puke:

But luckily, there are bands like Ensiferum who bring power metal music with more acceptable vocals that I like.

I just don't even know what Power Metal is anymore. The label was at one time used to describe Helloween and their clones, and then US metal was tagged with it, and of course bands like Nevermore sound nothing like Helloween. And now you have bands like Into Eternity, Children of Bodom, and Mercenary also using the tag. None of it makes sense anymore.

And then there is the thrash/speed/power metal crossover -- for certain, I'm sure fans of Testament could appreciate Iced Earth. I bet there are thousands of fans who like both Gamma Ray and Megadeth too. Look at early Blind Guardian, holy shit, Tolkien-esque speed metal blitzkrieg! And I was really nicely surprised at just how heavy Brainstorm were at ProgPower.

It's all just "heavy metal" to me, and yes, it does still burn along. Here's what I've been listening to a lot lately:

- new Jag Panzer
- Manilla Road
- Skyclad
- new Mercenary
- Iced Earth's Gettysburg
- new Megadeth

My life is better knowing that I don't try to pick out every differing nuance between each band because I group all those bands above into the same heap of CDs!

I think I would shoot myself if I decided what metal to like based on genre labelling and not the music.

P.S. The new Angra has been getting a lot of criticism, mostly from people who fell in love with them at "Holy Land". Well, personally, I think "Rebrith" is their best album, so do you think I'd like the new one?

I generally find power metal to be as ridiculous as troo black metal. I also find most of it to be insanely homosexual. Sort of Hemingway-esque really, ultra macho, without most of its fans getting the joke that they are gay. Beyond this rant, I do like some power metal bands, I just dont listen to them all that often.

HEre they are:

Conception- awesome guitar work, nice hooks, a nice groove etc. (im no guitarist, but these dudes were damn good).
Kamelot, I like their first two or three albums. Excellent singer.
Labyrinth- I cant stand the singer, but they have some insanely fast speed metal going on.
Angra- Holy Land and Angels Cry- excellent guitarists, incorporation of tribal music etc, and I enjoyed their old operatic singer.
Old Iced Earth, before I had heard every riff for the 25 time.
Stratovarius' Episode, has alsways struck me as a excellent album.
Symphony X especially the early stuff like Damnation game, Twilight, V some serious panteraesque riffing.

The majority of euro-power metal is gay. American power metal is DA BEST 1@!@!@!@!
Helstar, Liege Lord, Oliver Magnum, Crimson Glory, Gargoyle, Metal Church, early Queensryche, early Fates Warning, Destiny's End, Apollo Ra, Katagory V, Lethal, Sanctuary, Heir Apparent = BEST METAL EVER

I agree with IOfTheStorm, most of the Euro stuff is uber-gay, but the supposed "US Power Metal" is generally good stuff. Sanctuary, Nevermore, Jag Panzer, Lefay (though not from the US, they play the style), Fates Warning = good. Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, etc = gay.

That said, I do like Blind Guardian's 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' and Labyrinth's 'Return to Heaven Denied', but I probably listen to them about once a year each. I think I'm gonna dump my Kamelot CDs that I liked for a few months but quickly tired of.

I have the complete discographies of Helloween, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Grave Digger and many Jag Panzer albums. I used to have all the Rage, Running Wild, Avantasia, HammerFall, some Edguy stuff.

I guess power metal to me was a phase before I discovered better music. I sold the albums I never listened to anymore.

JayKeeley said:
I just don't even know what Power Metal is anymore. The label was at one time used to describe Helloween and their clones, and then US metal was tagged with it, and of course bands like Nevermore sound nothing like Helloween. And now you have bands like Into Eternity, Children of Bodom, and Mercenary also using the tag. None of it makes sense anymore.
Granted, different people label bands differently. I'm not in favor of labeling anything. I was just curious if the people around here, who as I said tend to drift towards the more extreme, also enjoy the more traditional.

JayKeeley said:
My life is better knowing that I don't try to pick out every differing nuance between each band because I group all those bands above into the same heap of CDs! I think I would shoot myself if I decided what metal to like based on genre labelling and not the music.
Agreed.

JayKeeley said:
P.S. The new Angra has been getting a lot of criticism, mostly from people who fell in love with them at "Holy Land". Well, personally, I think "Rebrith" is their best album, so do you think I'd like the new one?
If you liked "Rebirth", I would think you would love "Temple of Shadows". If you want me to burn you a copy, let me know.

Zod

The new Jag Panzer is amazingly good. New Angra is downright awful. power metal, like every other genre, should be taken on a one-by-one band basis.

ScottG said:
The new Jag Panzer is amazingly good.
Looking forward to it.

ScottG said:
New Angra is downright awful.
Couldn't disagree more.

ScottG said:
power metal, like every other genre, should be taken on a one-by-one band basis.
I wasn't suggesting someone should love every CD, just because it fits into a certain genre. I was just curious if the regulars around here, who seem to generally prefer more aggressive music, dislike Power Metal.

Zod

jimbobhickville said:
I agree with IOfTheStorm, most of the Euro stuff is uber-gay, but the supposed "US Power Metal" is generally good stuff. Sanctuary, Nevermore, Jag Panzer, Lefay (though not from the US, they play the style), Fates Warning = good. Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, etc = gay.
There is some European stuff that is not so 'gay'. Bands like Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Nocturnal Rites, Falconer, and Intense have quite the 'harder 'edge to them, but still, very much in the 'power metal' vein.

Most euro-metal stems from bands like Maiden, Dio, and Malmsteen - 'power metal' just became the next wave after the massive Helloween craze with Keeper of the Seven Keys. Chances are, if you grew up on those three legends, you're still going to have an inkling towards some euro-metal.

That said, I do like Blind Guardian's 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' and Labyrinth's 'Return to Heaven Denied', but I probably listen to them about once a year each. I think I'm gonna dump my Kamelot CDs that I liked for a few months but quickly tired of.
I used to like Kamelot, and then I saw them live. :ill: Some bands are just better on CD. I like Rhapsody for what they are -- the cheesy hollywood symphony thing -- and as John Cobbet once said, "music to listen to while putting shelving & furniture together", but I think I would die of laughter if I ever saw them on stage. Their video almost threw me into a coma.

There is some power metal that is just plain horrible: Hammerfall and Primal Fear. These two bands need to be wiped from the face of the earth.

General Zod said:
If you liked "Rebirth", I would think you would love "Temple of Shadows". If you want me to burn you a copy, let me know.
Yes please. And thanks for the Cea Serin by the way. Not the sort of thing I usually listen to, but I can't deny its greatness. Needs several more spins however, but I'm getting there.

General Zod said:
I was just curious if the regulars around here, who seem to generally prefer more aggressive music, dislike Power Metal.
It would be too much of a sweeping statement I think, just because power metal can mean anything as proven already in this thread. Not to speak for anyone here, but I do think that RC regulars will generally make up their mind on a band by band basis.

One Inch Man said:
I like the one Blind Guardian I have.
I haven't forgotten that I owe you a comp. (I actually went over to the Power Quest forum and asked for some suggestions, haha). But seriously, I'll throw in all sorts of shit to vary it up.

Oooooooooooh yeah, I forgot about that. I'll probably have to wait until spring to frollick along to it. :loco:

Primal Fear was brought up, somebody bump the Wayland Smithers thread.

One Inch Man said:
Oooooooooooh yeah, I forgot about that. I'll probably have to wait until spring to frollick along to it. :loco:
By the way, did you get a chance to listen to Symphony X yet? I'm curious as to what you think of that -- if you get the time today, you must listen to a song called "Communion and the Oracle" (track #5). You must, you must! :loco:

Just to clarify and contribute more:

some power metal albums I still listen to:

Gamma Ray - Land of The Free
Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife
Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
anything by Evergrey, Symphony X
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied

some power metal albums I would likely never miss:

Gamma Ray - No World Order
Nocturnal Rites - Sacred Talisman
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
Kamelot - Epica
anything by Primal Fear, Hammerfall, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Freedom Call etc. etc. too many to list.

More like an album by album basis, as a matter of fact.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, did you get a chance to listen to Symphony X yet? I'm curious as to what you think of that -- if you get the time today, you must listen to a song called "Communion and the Oracle" (track #5). You must, you must! :loco:
I'll try, I'll try! Actually, did you just give me that promo or was it from the last batch? The ones you gave me in NYC are currently sitting at LAX with the rest of my luggage. :tickled: