Power Metal?

JayKeeley said:
I don't know what else exists within that 'etcetera', but there's gotta be a pretty damn fine line between what is considered 'gay' and what isn't in your world. Not that I agree, but general concept of what is 'gay' typically revolves around the very musical attributes that Helloween exhibit.
etc: original power metal bands from europe, that didnt copy Helloween and play it with smurf melodies.
The gay thing about euro power metal is the COPIES of Helloween and yes the many bands that worshiped Helloween, but they didnt have the guts, originality, inspiration that Helloween had. They wrote softer, cheesier music that is pure nonsense. EdgAy, Heavenly are two examples.

IOfTheStorm said:
Papa Josh: Dream Theater = power metal ? ..............
I never claimed to be the final gospel on anything, jesus...

Looking at your statements though, they are presented as though they are fact. This is all conjecture that is indeed pointless. I listed bands that i would name off if trying to generalize a sound. And yes, DT are prog, but with a powerful riff, hence "power."

Calling Iron Maiden power metal is a big NONONO. I wouldn't even call HammerFall power metal. It's oldschool heavy metal in the Accept, Dio kind of vein to my ears.

There is no pure definition of any label, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

General Zod said:
Who would be your five?
Well today, I'd list:

Blind Guardian
Jag Panzer
Pharaoh
Symphony X
Nocturnal Rites (maybe)

One Inch Man said:
Every time I listen to Carcass I want to die because the music is so damn good life couldn't possibly get any better. If that's not Death Fucking Metal then I don't know what is. :Spin:
Yeah, well that doesn't mean there aren't countless meaningles debates going on about what music Carcass play. I thought they were in the middle of the whole grind vs death thing? Maybe not, fuck knows. It's saturday. :loco:

I could be wrong but I always thought:

Reek of Putrefaction = grind
Symphonies of Sickness = grind/death
Necroticism = death
Heartwork = death
Swansong = death n' roll

J. has it right concerning Carcass.

But I consider all these bands under the death metal umbrella, even stuff like the first two Empyrium albums. I hate genre battles.

Im sure Carcass spent months arguing about what specific subgenre of extreme metal they were playing.

It doesnt matter, a good band like Carcass should transcend subgenres. Otherwise they would be mediocre.

speed said:
Im sure Carcass spent months arguing about what specific subgenre of extreme metal they were playing.
:lol: Yeah, I think they broke up because of it even. :loco:

IOfTheStorm said:
Generally it is true that "power metal" is the most difficult genre to be defined. The thing is that most euro-power metal bands are gay and they have NO POWER. So i cant believe why they are called "POWER metal" .. On the other hand power metal bands from u.s.a. have THE ABSOLUTE POWER.
:err: I heard that Power Metal was called such because of the use of power chords...I think I've said it before, but I just think of Power Metal as high-pitched Heavy Metal. I'm still quite fond of it :)

And Hammerfall are fucking class.

Only heard 'Chapters from a Vale Forlorn' but it's pretty delicious. Thanks for the hook-up with Graveland also. Non-stop spins even though I didn't reply.

gastly.gif

You deleted the post you prick.

what other ballsy power metal bands would y'all recommend to a beginner. i really like blind guardian (yes, even night at the opera) if that helps. i like that Crom - Vengeance album which is sorta borderline bathory gone PM.

and im waiting on my IE stuff.

EDIT: and Manowar is awesome

Call it "gay", "cheesy", whatever, but I love symphonic power metal: Rhapsody (of Fire), Luca Turilli, Dragonland, Ashes to Ashes, Edenbridge, Avantasia, Fairyland, Gwyllion, Thy Majestie, early Nightwish, and Visions of Atlantis... :Smug:

I prefer Falconer's viking bm predecessor - Mithotyn