Power Metal?

Angel Dust were pretty good.
Also, two classic bands: Grave Digger and Running Wild.

what other ballsy power metal bands would y'all recommend to a beginner. i really like blind guardian (yes, even night at the opera) if that helps. i like that Crom - Vengeance album which is sorta borderline bathory gone PM.

and im waiting on my IE stuff.

EDIT: and Manowar is awesome

Manticora trumps every other power metal band in existence. Stay away from The Black Circus, as the subject matter centers around celebrating the existence of disgusting gypsies. The negars of Europe, the lowest common denominator, the syringe in der Führer's crawl. Start with 8 Deadly Sins.

Aside from them, the only other power metal I thoroughly enjoy is early Dark Moor.

Rage - Black In Mind, Perfect Man, Trapped!, The Missing Link, Welcome to the Other Side
Riot - Fire Down Under, Thundersteel, The Privilege of Power
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Manticora - 8 Deadly Sins, Roots of Eternity
Steel Prophet - Dark Hallucinations, Book of the Dead, The Goddess Principle, Into the Void
Running Wild - Blazon Stone, Death or Glory, Black Hand Inn, Pile of Skulls
Grave Digger - Knights of the Cross, Tunes of War, The Reaper, Heart of Darkness
Helstar - Nosferatu, Burning Star, Remnants of War
Destiny's End - Breathe Deep the Dark
Brainstorm - Metus Mortis, Ambiguity
Angel Dust - Border of Reality, Bleed, Enlighten the Darkness

Virgin Steele rocks, I'm a huge fan, but it might not be "ballsy" enough for you at times (which is why I didn't mention them in my prior post), though it is at others. They definitely have a "Manowaresque" sound at times, but more classically influenced, so it may indeed appeal to you.

My personal recs: The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 1 (outstanding album), Part 2 and Invictus (which is really The Marriage of Heaven and Hell part 3). The House of Atreus: Act 1 is also well worth your time. Of the four albums I mentioned, Invictus is the darkest.

Hammerfall is worthless Euro-power metal cheese. "Legacy of Kings" was the first CD I ever owned that I actually traded in for something else. They are downright awful.

cool, thanks. the only reason i asked about hammerfall was because it seems their debut is something special.

lost horizon's second album is cool.

cool, thanks. the only reason i asked about hammerfall was because it seems their debut is something special.

Glory to the Brave is ok, but honestly not worth the hype. It's the "least lame" of their albums but at the end of the day still completely uninteresting. It won't force you to shut it off like their other albums though.

yes, Lost Horizons 2nd album is very fucking cool. One of my favorites of all time.
+1 on the Manticora, great band.
and I dont know about you guys, but the first 2 Pyramaze albums are excellent. Fuck the 3rd one with gay ass Barlow

The self-titled album by Italian band Cydonia is totally essential IMO. The cheese layers are mildered by awesome musicianship and a consistent atmosphere running across their hit factory of a song portfolio. Think maybe early Sonata Arctica with more balls and a heavy Italian accent in the vocals.

Very underrated/overlooked album.

and I dont know about you guys, but the first 2 Pyramaze albums are excellent

Both are quality albums, with Melancholy Beast being my favorite. That said, they're far more melodic, keyboard laden and polished than the bands with a little more "crunch" to their sound that I've been recommending so I'm not sure if they'd be up J.'s alley or not. They're more geared towards the power/progressive crowd than the traditional, old school power fans. Still, there's plenty of crossover appeal to be found, just don't expect anything raw.

I'm with you on the third album. I didn't think it was really Barlow's fault though, just as with Horror Show, I felt the songwriting wasn't solid enough.

Manticora is actually one of my favorite bands. 8 Deadly Sins is a masterpiece of an album. Hyperion is pretty great, too. They're a bit more dark and aggressive than most PM, but still plenty epic.