Power Quest playing covers?

I think that power metal bands covering other power metal songs of other bands is more reasonable than covering old rock songs and such.

Eh, I don't see why PM bands should restrict themselves to only covering songs from the same genre.
If they can take something different and put their own spin on it, I think it'd be much better than yet another cover of I Want Out. :p

I think both pop and power metal covers from power metal bands rule. Would love to hear some of my favorite bands take on some songs from my other favorite bands!

My point is that....I would be more excited to hear PQ covering Through the fire and flames by DragonForce, than Candle in the WInd by elton john for example. That would never happen of course, I'm just giving an example here.

Well yea, we all understood what you meant - nobody's saying you can't have your own opinion!

My point is that....I would be more excited to hear PQ covering Through the fire and flames by DragonForce, than Candle in the WInd by elton john for example. That would never happen of course, I'm just giving an example here.

Hmm, to me the fun of covers is that you get to hear a familiar song done in a new style. Power Quest covering TTFAF would sound a whole lot like the original Dragonforce song. When a band covers a song of a different genre it usually takes more effort and creativity to make it work, so it's more exciting to hear in the end.

Hmm, to me the fun of covers is that you get to hear a familiar song done in a new style. Power Quest covering TTFAF would sound a whole lot like the original Dragonforce song. When a band covers a song of a different genre it usually takes more effort and creativity to make it work, so it's more exciting to hear in the end.
Uh, just because a band covers a song that took them more "effort" and "creativity" doesn't necessarily mean it would make it more exciting, that would just make it more difficult for the band themselves to cover.

Don't get testy, dude. What she's getting at is that there's more room to breathe, more room for creativity and your own sound to be heard in a regular rock/pop song. If you cover Through the Fire and Flames or some other high speed metal song... you don't really have any room to add in your own band's sound. Yea, the vocalist will be different, etc., but in the end it will basically sound the same.

Whereas it would be much more exciting to most people to hear Power Quest covering, say, any of the songs mentioned in this topic, like Africa by Toto or Jump by Van Halen.

And nobody said it was wrong to enjoy metal-on-metal covers - I even like some! Nobody's saying you're wrong, we're just pointing out the difference you get between covering another intense metal song and a softer pop song or something. You know?

Uh, just because a band covers a song that took them more "effort" and "creativity" doesn't necessarily mean it would make it more exciting, that would just make it more difficult for the band themselves to cover.

Well yeah, I'm not saying it would be *necessarily* better, but there's certainly more opportunity for the band to change stuff around and show their creativity when they're working with a style of music they don't normally do.

Yeah, but I don't regret about anything that I said about the subject so far. You think you're correct, I think I'm correct...you know, different opinions!

All that I really dislike about covers these days, is that bands tend to cover really old rock songs that I just hate. But if you've seen Metallica's Garage Inc for example...that thing's intense dude. They make old rock songs sound like thrash metal.

I'm curious - why do you hate classic rock songs? The word's right there - a bunch of them really are classic pieces of music! So many great tunes in there. Things don't have to be brutal and intense all the time!

Also, most bands tend to cover songs by artists they were influenced by... not always, but a lot! Hence the old songs.

I'm curious - why do you hate classic rock songs? The word's right there - a bunch of them really are classic pieces of music! So many great tunes in there. Things don't have to be brutal and intense all the time!

Also, most bands tend to cover songs by artists they were influenced by... not always, but a lot! Hence the old songs.
I don't know really....I just don't like to hear old rock songs from many years ago, that have barely any good guitar work and intensity.... don't get me wrong though.....I do like classical stuff that are less intense.....but ......hmmm..............Uh.....I just dislike old music, yeah that's that's it.

Yes that's it I dislike old music, from 30+ years ago.

No intensity? No good guitar work?

Well... that's an interesting opinion.

Hate music? Pretty strong emotion when it comes to music I think......let's take a step back and a more mature approach to the discussion. Next thing will be "my Dad's bigger than your Dad"

Let's not head back down the argumentative road again........because you know where that road leads to.......

Sure dude but I wonder what particularly was argumentative here, as I wasn't even trying to be that way.

I myself always like to hear something new or innovating. Especially in the totally milked power metal genre (not your fault) it's hard to do something new.
The Europe's, 80's pop songs, queen etc has already been done and it will not seperate your from the rest.

On the other hand, if you look at metalcovers, what's mainly done as "something different" is take a pop song or a softer song and rape it. And boom you got your cover....

What I would love to see is a cover the other way around, like reign in blood, or maybe even better Death's pull the plug is perfect for being covered by a powermetalband. Long cords in the refrains on which a good singer can feast with long hales, and mucho parts on which the whole band can show their skills.

People would call it rape of a song, especially the fans of the bands itself, but ey, that's how you create fans as well :)