Powerfest solution !!!!!!!

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
While sitting in the shower this morning, planning my daily activities....I was thinking about all the recent post about the next Powerfest....then it hit me....not a splash of cold water, but a grand idea. With all these great suggestions out there....here is a simple, well maybe simple idea.

First off, move the date away from the King Diamond show. Why compete. There are people who will have to decide which show to drop money on or even just not wanting to drive out that way twice that soon. that is one factor of my not going to see Firewind. If the show was moved to a March date....wham!!!

You can get Circle II Circle, Circus maximus, and Mantacora for one night, without having to pay for thier airfare. Right there would draw lots of the ProgPower people. But wait....you get a band like Power Quest. there may be people who would help sponsor them. That would be a huge thing to finalize the power metal fans to get them to come out.

Then for the next day. You get Novembers Doom to do an acoustic set. While you get the die hards really excited for that, thus also making it interesting enough to to get people to travel in to witness this one time US thing. To make that night even better. You get Turisas to really get the crowd going.

Cage would be another great band to get. It is a band that is slowly growing in the metal community. the kind of band people are like...I have always wanted to see them but now this is a great chance to give them a try since there is so many other great bands on that bill.

then you have Ion Vien and 12th gate play. that would draw some of the locals in. with a few slots open still, you fill with other newer bands.

so you have this

Power Quest
Circle II Circle
Circus maximus
Mantacora
Ion Vien

Turisas
Cage
Novembers Doom (acoustic)
?????? some heavier act
12th Gate

with this you get the ProgPower people excited. the next night the fans of heavier stuff excited. Only a few bands need to be flied in. You have pretty much all recognizable names on the bill. Hundreds and hundreds of people are talking about this great show. Soon the interent goes on fire from the hype machine named Bob. The show turns out great. Everyone is happy.

I know this is a pipe dream but at least I am trying.

Not a bad idea, but do we need another Prog Power?
Sure, it would appeal to the Prog Power faithful who may previously have not attended Powerfest.

I do like the logic with going after the Circle II Circle tour, as they wouldn't be coming JUST for this show (IE - No need to cover airfare, just guarantee, etc).

Not sure if P Quest or Turisas are solid enough of headliners, though the mid-levels round it out.

Might still need more of a powerhouse *coughCANDLEMASScough* or the like.

I think a Solitude Aeturnus return headlining performance would be a great idea. Their stock went up greatly once the new Candlemass came out. Their name is mentioned regularly around the metal circuit (not that it wasn't before, but even moreso now).

good call on Candlesmass or even Solatude. they would fit great on saturday.

imagine this then

Candlemass
Turisas
Novembers Doom (acoustic)
Cage
12th gate

how can anyone say that wouldnt draw????

I guess we would need Rob and Chris to confirm the IV / 12th Gate thing.

If I recall, it was stated that going forward, they would maybe switch off every other year, so both wouldn't be playing the same year. Not sure if this is the case or not.

The lineup above would be solid indeed.
Though, finance would be a big issue in bringing over both Candlemass and Turisas, so the sponsorship discussion would need to take place.

Damn, that ND acoustic sounds tasty!!!!!
It would be a great contrast to the electric performances to the fest. It would be truly unique.

Also, maybe coincide this performance with the release of the Novembers Doom DVD!!!!

It would be nice to see Rob or Chris lay out the gameplan for Powerfest. We're getting close to mid October, and nothing definative, or even really speculative has been layed out. If there's going to be a fest in April or so I'd think the work needs to begin very soon in putting things together. It takes time to line up the bands, and build the hype. Some fests (PP) already have their lineup nearly set .. one year in advance.

Britt

Here's another solution!!!!

- The drummer from Debris Inc is active now with DOWN, leaving David Chandler without an active band

- Wino just ended the Hidden Hand

Only one solution I see.....

SAINT VITUS REUNION for Powerfest 2008!!! :headbang:

It would be nice to see Rob or Chris lay out the gameplan for Powerfest. We're getting close to mid October, and nothing definative, or even really speculative has been layed out. If there's going to be a fest in April or so I'd think the work needs to begin very soon in putting things together. It takes time to line up the bands, and build the hype. Some fests (PP) already have their lineup nearly set .. one year in advance.

Britt

Work began on April 23rd, right after the last fest.....there is no way you
can get commitment from the majority of bands, especially upper tier
bands, a year in advance, unless it's a very niche market or very
specialized event. You guys are getting spoiled with PP.

I am totally siding with Chris' comments above.
I know all of us are like, "Hurry up guys! Let's get an announcement".
These things take time.
Prog Power has committed returning sponsors they can rely on, which allows them to secure bands first, and get financial support later.

On the other hand, if sponsorship is going to be on the table this year, the earlier we knew the better.
(IE - Can fans suggest bands they want to sponsor, or would a list be provided by the promoters for folks to choose from, etc).

Chris - You know we are all just anxious.....

There is no way Power Quest would headline over C II C. I would totally go though if thats what Power fest might be.

Why not? P Quest has been around longer.
Sorry, but having the former singer of Savatage, who is NOT the Mountain King, doesn't mean all that much to me.

I am sure they are a solid band, but let's be honest.
Would you be interested if their wasn't the "ex-Savatage" factor here?

Look - No reason for us all to piss and moan over who would draw more or what not. In all honesty, I would rather have a well rounded festival of semi-popular bands than one extremely solid headliner with a bunch of fluff openers.

I think P Quest and Circle II Circle together on the bill, regardless of who plays over who, would work well.

Who knows? This could all be in the works right now.

Work began on April 23rd, right after the last fest.....there is no way you
can get commitment from the majority of bands, especially upper tier
bands, a year in advance, unless it's a very niche market or very
specialized event. You guys are getting spoiled with PP.

not to be a jerk, but if you guys have been working on getting stuff set up that far away, is there an announcement coming anytime soon?

I think Powerfest is a specialized event that lots of bands like Power Quest, Turisas, and Candlemass would jump at. Playing a fest like this would be great for both parties involved. Plus it is a nice mix of bands that would draw lots of people.

not to be a jerk

when has that ever stopped you?? :lol: jk

but if you guys have been working on getting stuff set up that far away, is there an announcement coming anytime soon?

yeah, the announcement that we've offed ourselves will be coming
quite soon! :lol: seriously....yes, we're hoping to have a first
announcement some time very soon, it just depends to what degree
we're happy with what we can announce the soonest (if that makes
sense).

perfect, that is the idea

and therein lies the problem! :p

when has that ever stopped you?? :lol: jk

yeah, the announcement that we've offed ourselves will be coming
quite soon! :lol: seriously....yes, we're hoping to have a first
announcement some time very soon, it just depends to what degree
we're happy with what we can announce the soonest (if that makes
sense).

and therein lies the problem! :p

That's all I was hoping for .. just some news regarding the fest, and what we might expect. I'm glad things are being worked on, as I was unsure whether there was even going to be a Powerfest this year.

The sponsorship thing was touched on, but never really explained .. I was interested in seeing how that might work out. I've got some bands I'd seriously consider sponsoring.

Britt