Powerfest solution !!!!!!!

Britt,
Lay them out on the table my man!!!
From how I see it, the earlier we all express who we would sponsor, the better.
We might discover that 10 of us would be interested in sponsoring the same band, which could increase the feasibility of bringing said band over.

Once again though, this is all dependent on the official sponsorship announcement.

Whats with all the power metal bands? @_@ Its not Diabolikfest >_>

The list needs more fucking variety, maybe a couple cheesy power bands but nothing more then that.

Damn!! Check out the attitude on Chase!!!!!!!!
You go son!! Go get that pansy ass Bob.
Tell him we don't want no bands with album titles like "Stairway to Fairyland"

DOOM OVER POWERFEST 2008!!
Can ya dig it!

It shouldn't really be looked at as which band on their own draws more than the other.

I think you need to look at the whole pacakge.

Having ALL PM or ALL doom would not be a good idea.
This year's fest pretty much kept away the prog and power crowds who probably came previously for Nocturnal Rites, Tad Marose, Lefay, etc.

On the flipside, there were probably some doom fans who came this year for SA, Nov Doom, and Saturnus.

I think we are all on the right track here folks.
Just need some more balance.

I guess it depends on the person. I am a fan of traditional, doom, power, and death-doom. Therefore, I personally am in favor of a good mix.

I can see though that there are those who want 100% power metal, or 100% doom.

You can't please em all!

If the lineup worked the way Diabolik suggested (which I like, personally) I'd be all about day 1, but could care less about day 2, except for Turisas. This past Powerfest, I only went to day one.

I think the days should be mixed together, so a bunch of people won't just go to one day. If 50% are power bands and 50% are extreme bands (EXAMPLE), have half of each genre on each night, so fans of only one will still come both nights.

Yeah. No matter what, I'll be there both days, but that's not the case for most people. Friday this year was more of a power/heavy metal day (except Solitude), then Saturday was more death/doom metal. Mix it up, if possible.

The way I see it is this: If there's a healthy mix of genres both days, I get to see bands I want, while getting to socialize and have fun at the powerfest both days, instead of only going on one day for bands I want, and missing out on fun and silliness on the social end the other day because there are bands I can't stand. If it's mixed up, I can sit out the bands I don't like and chat with friends, then go and watch bands I like when they come on.

The way I see it is this: If there's a healthy mix of genres both days, I get to see bands I want, while getting to socialize and have fun at the powerfest both days, instead of only going on one day for bands I want, and missing out on fun and silliness on the social end the other day because there are bands I can't stand. If it's mixed up, I can sit out the bands I don't like and chat with friends, then go and watch bands I like when they come on.

I totally agree. With a healthy mix of genres (and having quality acts), even people who are not a fan may be at least interested in checking them out.

Britt,
Lay them out on the table my man!!!
From how I see it, the earlier we all express who we would sponsor, the better.
We might discover that 10 of us would be interested in sponsoring the same band, which could increase the feasibility of bringing said band over.

Once again though, this is all dependent on the official sponsorship announcement.
That's why I keep waiting for some structure to that sponsorship stuff. Once we get that we can "really" start to get serious about this thing.

A few bands that I would consider throwing some dough out for would be ... Amorphis, Wolverine, Sabaton, Nightingale, Conception, Jag Panzer, Kiuas, Machine Men, Mystic Prophecy, Persuader, Poverty's No Crime, Turisas, and Tyr.

Amorphis would be a real good fit for Powerfest .. they've released two excellent albums after a little bit of a lull, and subsequent singer change. They have wide appeal. Fans of various genre's like this band.

Britt

I agree too.
Every sub-genre of metal has vastly grown in popularity in the past few years. I mean, who ever would have thought you could find Satyricon or Enslaved at Best Buy?

In my opinion, there is a LARGE pool of Midwest metalheads to be tapped into for attendance.

Milwaukee Metalfest focused more on death and black, Heathen Crusade focused more on dark metal, and if you don't know what genre Prog Power taps into then there is no helpin ya! :)

That being said, there is a great opportunity for this fest to tap into all these markets.

CRJ took a healthy risk this year in balancing out the playing field with the bands that were booked. Granted, if you were not a fan of dark or death / doom (IE - Bob), you probably found the 1-2-3 punch of Thurisaz, Nov Doom, and Saturnus to be too much of the same.

The one issue though that I see with trying to completely balance out the roster is cost. Most quality bands in the Black metal, viking metal, and folk genres are from overseas. I guess this is where folks will need to pool together resources for sponsorship (once again all dependent on how this will all work).

Not really sure what else can be said in this thread, as we are all starting to repeat ourselves! :lol:

A few bands that I would consider throwing some dough out for would be ... Amorphis, Wolverine, Sabaton, Nightingale, Conception, Jag Panzer, Kiuas, Machine Men, Mystic Prophecy, Persuader, Poverty's No Crime, Turisas, and Tyr.

I could definitely see Panzer as a good fit.
I think any solid US act would be perfect for the fest, due to logistics.

I love Machine Men. There is definitely a buzz starting for them.

A couple other bands that I would like to see, being semi-realistic:
Metalium
Candlemass
Agalloch
Reverend Bizarre (maybe their farewell?)
Power Quest
My Dying Bride (COSTLY! $$$$$)