Preamp Options..

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
Ok here's the deal..I've got something like 1100 euro's to buy new preamps and stuff for my rig!

I now got a SM PRO AUDIO PR-8E which does the job, but isn't really good.
I now want some good pre-amps for especially my toms and guitars.
Usually I use 4 toms with Sennheiser MD421's on it...

Here are some options I made for myself.
Focusrite Octopre - 8 channel
RME Octamic - 8 channel
Mackie Onyx 800R - 8 channel
2 x FMR Audio RNP - 4 channel

Or if you have any other suggestions...shoot :)..

The downside of the FMR's is that it's not possible to put them in a rack, and they're pretty ugly. But if they sound good, I've just got to life with that right?! :)..

The other options was an Audient ASP-008, at the same place Seizure bought it, but the price Seizure paid for it isn't near the prize the guy told me that I'd have to pay for it. There's a difference of 300 euro's...

Anyway...your thoughts!

i would definetly go with the rnps out of that list. they are probably the only ones you would want to keep for a long time. they also make racks for them. they do areally good job with almost anything you throw at them.

In sweden we have this guy who is an enthusiast making studio gear, really good gear that doesn't cost too much. http://www.lineaudio.com
He has a mic preamp which has reached cult status in sweden. There are two versions, 2 channels, and 8 channels. The 8 channel costs about 500 euro, but I can confidently say that it is WAY better than octopre, and at least as good as the RME. The sound of this thing is not warm or coloring, the motto of this gear is transparancy. The frequency response is 5Hz-100KHz +/- 0,5 dB for instance, that is really good. However with the RME for instance you get AD/DA conversion.

Well you are probably not going to find reviews, at least not in english. The house soundengineerer of my band has a few really expensive preamps, like the focusrite red 7 for instance, but he still uses the lineaudio stuff when he needs something clean and not coloring.

Are there more people with thoughts on this?

At the moment I'm looking at
2 x RNP unit
2 x rackunits from Funk Logic so they fit into a rack

that makes 4 channels..I'll probally be using them on toms and guitars...

I'm still in the market for 2 good preamps for overheads..
More suggestions? I'm thinking about spending about the same kind of money (600) euro's for 2 channels for the overheads...

I would pick these Line Audio pre's, they'll run you about 550 euros which leaves you with plenty money to buy other pre's (maybe a groove tubes brick or a joemeek TwinQ like I'm running, really warm 'vintage' type of sound)

http://www.lineaudio.se/linepre.htm

the rnps will hold their own with any preamp talked about here with plenty of great reviews everywhere. i use them on guitars, kicks, snares and bass all the time and like what i hear. i am curious about the line audio preamps and would love to try them. i cant see ever getting rid of the rnps as they are usable on everything. even when i have better pres eventually they will still get use on something im sure every now and then. for the money, it would be hard to get four better pres unless you want to build some sca kits.

I can get a fairly nice deal on a Toft Audio ATC-2..
Anybody experience with that?
I'm liking the features of it..the EQ seems to be awesome..
Pre's just seem to be nothing special but deff. above and focusrite/behringer pre's...